Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things you miss about the Goldstone

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
we're a club that is looking forward not back. agreed. but i've been thinking about the Goldstone recently and how much I miss it.

I used to love the buzz of tumbling down the north stand when we scored and trying to get the south stand to sing us a song. what do you miss?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The credibility of supporting a team with a proper ground.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Johnny Byrne superstar said:
we're a club that is looking forward not back. agreed. but i've been thinking about the Goldstone recently and how much I miss it.

I used to love the buzz of tumbling down the north stand when we scored and trying to get the south stand to sing us a song. what do you miss?
The climb up the North Stand steps, the quick peak at the away corner to see how many they've brought and then the stroll along the back of and behind the North stand, before taking my place at the back of the stand just to the right of the goal - just left of where the kids liked to be.

:(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I got to find the place depressing the last few seasons there. More and more parts of the terracing got closed down whilst the crowds dwindled and the atmosphere, which had been fantastic on our rise through the leagues, was on a par with Withdean.

Don't miss much about it all to be honest, was no better than Withdean by the end, except for the last few games as we fought relegation from the league. That was pretty memorable.

Last edited:

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Feeling enormous pressure while sitting on the bar behind the advertising hoardings in the North West terrace after the northstand tried to get us to sing. I used to feel quite embarrased that i wasnt giving the northstanders a song.

The walk accross Hove Park.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Having an atmosphere, The Northstand and a place we could call Home

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My Dad has a dicky back from rowing days, and used to like standing in the West Stand terraces. I used to love seeing the sea of blue and white jumping up and down when we scored.

Peversely, I also kind of miss the "sack the board" business. It felt quite satisfying fighting for a cause we believed in.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
The buzz of getting my Albion Mebership card from the ticket office....waiting for ages just to get the lovely bit of red plastic!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Icy Gull said:
I got to find the place depressing the last few seasons there. More and more parts of the terracing got closed down whilst the crowds dwindled and the atmosphere, which had been fantastic on our rise through the leagues, was on a par with Withdean.

Don't miss much about it all to be honest, was no better than Withdean by the end :(
Ah but I prefer to remember the mid '80s when you could guess whether it was going to be 13,000 or 18,000 depending on the population of the East terrace - which you could see as you strolled down OLD SHOREHAM ROAD.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
did you know, the bit at the front of the East Terrace that was closed ( just along from the centre line) was actually closed because I fell down the terracing ( Blackburn at home - celebrating the 2nd goal fell over) and was carted off to hospital. I buggered by ankle ( not literally) and the safety officer sited this as an example of why it should be closed.

Do you remember the stand finished by the walkway with huge boards up stopping people from going down there.

:down: :down:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
dave the gaffer said:
did you know, the bit at the front of the East Terrace that was closed ( just along from the centre line) was actually closed because I fell down the terracing ( Blackburn at home - celebrating the 2nd goal fell over) and was carted off to hospital. I buggered by ankle ( not literally) and the safety officer sited this as an example of why it should be closed.

Do you remember the stand finished by the walkway with huge boards up stopping people from going down there.

With grass appearing from the cracks in the concrete....

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So dave, what you're saying is that YOU are the reason only 11,500 were able to pay their last respects to the place at that Donny game. :nono:

Disgraceful.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It is my eternal shame

having said that a builder friend told me they had quoted to replace the concrete with new stuff quite cheaply and the owners said that they were not spending any more money on the place.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Simster said:
Ah but I prefer to remember the mid '80s when you could guess whether it was going to be 13,000 or 18,000 depending on the population of the East terrace - which you could see as you strolled down OLD SHOREHAM ROAD.

Those were great days and the crowd figures were always manipulated down by a few thousand, although there was a rumour that we had the fattest fans in the land, hence the ground looking full but the crowd beng smallish :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
also running past the ground on school cross country runs .... the only bit of the agonising winter sport at Hove County Grammar that was enjoyable

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
On the Left Wing said:
also running past the ground on school cross country runs .... the only bit of the agonising winter sport at Hove County Grammar that was enjoyable

Strewth!You had it easy.When i was there it was up through the copse to yhr top of Snakey Hill,then down and along past the Nevil (Arms?) and back in via Frant Road.

When you grew up you had to walk up Snakey Hill,where the run would go down to Waterhall,then back up alongside the golf course returning to the start along Devil's Dyke Road.

Now,that was a cross country!

But the Goldstone.........ahh,the massed thousands for games against the likes of Darlington and Tranmere,and "Tiptoe through the northstand....",swaying down the terraces for corners and close shots as well as the goals,Wardy,Kit,Spider et al,the walk home with match analysis along the Old Shoreham Road.

We will never see its like again.

(blows nose,wipes eyes.Be strong......be strong!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here