Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Chalk is in the same building as The Haunt was, but is bigger and better. I’m pretty sure it has a different footprint to the Haunt, not sure how!
Think I saw Oakenfold do an unannounced set in The Haunt once. (I say think because I was absolutely blitzed at the time). Glad you had a good night

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Gonna see the superb Shannon and the Clams in Islington on the 5th.

Saturday night Leonards legends Thee Headshrinkers are supporting the Surfragettes at somewhere called Dust in Brighton. Absolutely hardcore garage.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Confidence Man had Chalk bouncing last night. They gave their usual high octane show, great fun and hugely entertaining.

They only played for 45 minutes, though, and finished at 9.45. I was home before 10, Mrs Pogue thought that I must have left early…
Did you and @Hamilton get pushed in the corner and asked your intentions by security?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Oh, I really disliked The Haunt as a music venue. Chalk is in the same building but is a different space and, in my view, much better for seeing bands, although not as good as the likes of Green Door Store and The Dome.
Fair enough. To be honest it was a long time ago and I was very off my face on the few occasions I ventured inside

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Oh, I really disliked The Haunt as a music venue. Chalk is in the same building but is a different space and, in my view, much better for seeing bands, although not as good as the likes of Green Door Store and The Dome.
It was a rubbish venue for listening to gigs, but I went to a few Punk gigs there when I was 18, and it felt like a prison riot at times in there it was Great!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It was a rubbish venue for listening to gigs, but I went to a few Punk gigs there when I was 18, and it felt like a prison riot at times in there it was Great!
Due to its shape it had a horrendous ‘bottleneck‘ - if you were not past this, near the front, it was awful for gigs.

Better if beyond it, but there were also enormous pillars on the stage which got in the way of the band somewhat.

Had some good times there, though.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
@Hamilton didn’t make it, so I went solo.

He’s the dodgy looking one, so I wasn’t tarred with the ‘suspicious intentions’ brush, and was able to keep a low profile.
Knowing how dodgy you look, I hate to think what @Hamilton looks like 😲

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Due to its shape it had a horrendous ‘bottleneck‘ - if you were not past this, near the front, it was awful for gigs.

Better if beyond it, but there were also enormous pillars on the stage which got in the way of the band somewhat.

Had some good times there, though.
I saw Gnarwolves there and the gig got stage stopped because someone threw a bin at the lead singer, good times.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Two gigs this week. Firstly Soft Play/Panic Shack at the Dome. I was looking forward to Panic Shack every since they had to pull out of Mutations last year. They were great fun and were clearly having fun as they played most of the e.p and some new material. Could have been a bit louder though and vocals muffled at times. Not sure musically what direction they will take after the album is released. In the here and now however, it’s all very enjoyable.
Soft Pay up next. I saw them once before as Staves but wasn’t really listening, it was a festival in Clapham Common and they had a mid afternoon slot. This time though I was paying attention, each time I was getting into it however, things would stop for a chat and a walk into the audience. As was pointed out several times by the drummer, Jedward were in the audience, random indeed. This lead to yet more banter and faffing about. The whole thing could have done with more music and less of the other bits.
Confidence Man yesterday and as has been already pointed out a short set but a great set. I don’t think it was much more than an hour when they played at the same venue for their Glastonbury warm up in June. Last night was advertised as a hybrid show. I guess what that means is truncated, and one of the backing guys was not present. Still, all good fun and managed a few in The East Street Tap beforehand. Which is always a winner.
Oh and three bands. No encores. Good to see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here