Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Labour Government

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

Concerns raised over ‘dystopian’ weight loss trials on unemployed​

Wes Streeting has accepted £280 million from a pharma company to trial an injectable weight-loss drug on those out of work in a move that has been compared to something out of a “dystopian sci-fi novel”.

Labour’s latest DWP plans for mental health-related claimants could literally kill people​

Those with severe mental health difficulties are already petrified of the DWP & having support withdrawn. This is going to cause new & untold suffering to those whose lives are already shattered.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Wes Streeting has accepted £280 million from a pharma company to trial an injectable weight-loss drug on those out of work in a move that has been compared to something out of a “dystopian sci-fi novel”.

Labour’s latest DWP plans for mental health-related claimants could literally kill people​

Those with severe mental health difficulties are already petrified of the DWP & having support withdrawn. This is going to cause new & untold suffering to those whose lives are already shattered.

Apparently the public are being prescribed a sedative for budget day

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
It's hardly surprising given the dire inheritance though, wouldn't you agree?
What is hardly surprising is that a Labour Government are hiking taxes even higher. When they are probably booted out in 5 years time I'm sure the next Government will blame them for overspending so they need to raise taxes and the cycle will go on and on.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not sure how that constitutes a response to the inheritance but feel free to help me out
Labour have misled from day one much like the tories. Problem is we are stuck with this pair of failures as there aren't any real alternatives. Easy to blame the old incumbent much like the tories did when they found the supposed letter then used that for months on end as a get out clause much like the 20B supposed black hole

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Where does it state the unemployed will be used in this trial?

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

IMG_3937.jpeg

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To be honest, I’m not against the idea in principle. I just don’t think it’s going to work for a number of reasons.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What happened to 'fully funded, fully costed' ??
Personally I think it's a sad state of affairs where Labour have decided they can't be honest with the electorate to the extent that they can't admit taxes need to rise to pay for the mess left behind. It's almost as feeble as their total refusal to discuss Brexit and the best way to fix it. Wes Streeting's interview yesterday made me want to put my foot through my monitor.

It's also shocking that some Tory sympathisers seem to want to give the Conservatives a free pass for their disastrous contribution to this state of affairs. Let's remember they were first elected because apparently the level of borrowing got too high under Labour. It has since more than trebled. They have also acted as if the 4-5% annual economy decline caused by their implemented Brexit doesn't matter. Well it does. 4-5% might not seem like much but if the average household income went up by that amount, they'd have 20% more disposable income.

I've had enough of Labour already as they seem unwilling to deal with the problems caused by the disastrous years under Conservative party rule, but it is a bit rich of a Tory to somehow smugly declare that they knew Labour wouldn't fix everything.

Last edited:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

I've not seen that said in the confirmative way that you put it?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Sticking plaster

A £280 million sticking plaster by the sounds

Eat less, eat well, moderate exercise will work for most

It's way way more complex than that for many, unfortunately.

For those that may be on prescriptions that cause weight gain, either mental health or physical conditions, that advice, as well as the prospect of a jab (which may well have side effects and require ongoing support) could be quite stark or impractical.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting comment below - you'd have thought we had a Tory PM....

Responding to the speculation, the prime minister’s official spokesperson said public services needed “reform” and government departments will have to “become more productive”.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Had an awful journey home tonight but now I know whar Eastleigh looks like. On the radio it said that magistrates will be able to sentence people to up to a year in prison and this will help reduce a back log. They seem to have forgotten about trials being decided by a jury of peers. Am I the only one who finds this a disturbing development or have I missed something? Have they forgotten about common law? I can imagine that this will produce a lot of unsafe and out of kilter verdits. A very strange thing to do without parliament backing it and some debate.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
To be honest, I’m not against the idea in principle. I just don’t think it’s going to work for a number of reasons.
I think this idea and its potential implementation could be a form of coercive control and undermines the principle of informed consent in treatment. I'm not against the idea, but it is rather like carbon capture - it works at the wrong end of the problem and only treats symptoms.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Had an awful journey home tonight but now I know whar Eastleigh looks like. On the radio it said that magistrates will be able to sentence people to up to a year in prison and this will help reduce a back log. They seem to have forgotten about trials being decided by a jury of peers. Am I the only one who finds this a disturbing development or have I missed something? Have they forgotten about common law? I can imagine that this will produce a lot of unsafe and out of kilter verdits. A very strange thing to do without parliament backing it and some debate.
Magistrates courts don’t do trial by jury and can impose custodial sentences up to 6 months already, as far as I can tell the proposal is to up that to 12 months to clear smaller cases out of the crown courts which do rely on jury trials.

It won’t work as (a) the number of cases is low and (b) many of the magistrates courts were closed down under George Osborne so there’s already a backlog there. But there’s nothing sinister about it that I can gather.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As @A1X explains, they're not introducing this from scratch, merely extending it from six to twelve months. Presumably this is done on the basis that magistrates courts are both quicker and cheaper (but willing to be proved wrong on this point).
What needs to be factored in is that there's an enormous backlog. This is hugely problematic for the victims of crime as their cases aren't being brought to court which can compound the initial crime. It's worth adding that this enormous backlog has been built up over the past 14 years due to austerity, and the slashing of the justice budget. This latest move sits alongside the early release of prisoners but, short of new money, there's little option but to take such measures.
A few posts back, others were criticising RR for not giving new money to departments and revelling in disquiet around the Cabinet table on this. Well, this is because debt is extremely high -- far higher than 14 years ago -- austerity has hollowed out public services, growth has been negligible and at historically alarming levels, and much, much more.

It's predictable that all of this will be ignored by the vast majority that post on this particular thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here