Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Greatest Band ever!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The Miles Davis Band which recorded Kind Of Blue an album which some rock musicians say influenced their musicality.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
ABBA blow my mind, purely for the skill of crafting rhyming lyrics...in a foreign language! Apart from Swanny and Swegulls, could anyone else on here write multiple top hits in Swedish?

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hmm, spent time roughing it in Hamburg and took a while to make it. Hardly a boy band in Boyzone, Westlife, or the Take That mould are they? Started writing their own songs quite early on in success too. (In fairness so did Gary Barlow, TT are a bit of a secret pleasure for me :blush:)

They were not put together by music moguls either

In short I’m calling RUBBISH to the second sentence in your post :smile:
That’s fine, personal preference.

But their songs were just catchy little numbers that appealed to young teenage minds, sung by good looking, trendy boys.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The Cure are worth a shout here.

Probably The Beatles though.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
You mean Paul McCartney?

The Paul McCartney whose repertoire includes the Frog Song, Yellow Submarine, Mary had a little lamb, Wonderful Christmas time, Silly love songs, Pipes of peace?

That Paul McCartney?

When he was good he was great, but, when he was bad, he was worse than awful.
I never understand people using these types of songs as a criticism of Pauls writing abilities. Most of them he wrote for a purpose, for example the Frog Song and Mary had a Little Lamb were written for Children not for music critics!

The Beatles often wrote tracks like Yellow Submarine which has a tongue in cheek humorous quality to them, they were meant to be like that which is why they even got Ringo to sing them!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What's the criteria for "best" if it's longevity then the Rolling Stones are the clear winners, if it inspirational I would go Muddy Waters ( yes I know not technically a band).

Otherwise it's subjective and my choice varies like the weather but Rush would be in the running.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I never understand people using these types of songs as a criticism of Pauls writing abilities. Most of them he wrote for a purpose, for example the Frog Song and Mary had a Little Lamb were written for Children not for music critics!

The Beatles often wrote tracks like Yellow Submarine which has a tongue in cheek humorous quality to them, they were meant to be like that which is why they even got Ringo to sing them!
Mary Had A Little Lamb was written as a response to the BBC banning Wings' previous single, Give Ireland Back To The Irish. The Beeb considered it so politically objectionable that they wouldn't even broadcast the title. In chart rundowns it was mentioned as "a record by the group Wings". So McCartney came up with something so inoffensive that nobody could possibly want to ban it. Except possibly for sarcasm in vinyl form.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here