Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The end of Rangers?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The old voting system in the SPL has also been shot to bits by their demotion. Previously any decision for change required an 11-1 majority which always guaranteed that any proposal for acting against the Old Firm by the other clubs would never work as Rangers and Celtic would always vote which each other. Celtic are now on their own and will no longer be able to manipulate this so any change requiring expansion could well be on the cards.

Regarding the SFL it seems Rangers newco need 16 votes from 30 to start in Division 1, and as of today 11 have already publicly come out against this with another, Airdrie, most likely to abstain as they would be beneficiaries of any vote to stick Rangers into the Third. Dundee and Dunfermline have also yet to declare which may well limit any support to the remaining 16 clubs. Be interesting to see what happens there over the next week.

My feeling is that if Rangers do go into the Third, the proposed expansion and probable reorganisation into leagues of 16 may well get rushed through quickly which would probably enable them to somehow jump a division on the way back up. and limit there exile from the top division to two years.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
10 - 1 and I wouldn't mind betting who the 1 was

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The old voting system in the SPL has also been shot to bits by their demotion. Previously any decision for change required an 11-1 majority which always guaranteed that any proposal for acting against the Old Firm by the other clubs would never work as Rangers and Celtic would always vote which each other. Celtic are now on their own and will no longer be able to manipulate this so any change requiring expansion could well be on the cards.

Regarding the SFL it seems Rangers newco need 16 votes from 30 to start in Division 1, and as of today 11 have already publicly come out against this with another, Airdrie, most likely to abstain as they would be beneficiaries of any vote to stick Rangers into the Third. Dundee and Dunfermline have also yet to declare which may well limit any support to the remaining 16 clubs. Be interesting to see what happens there over the next week.

My feeling is that if Rangers do go into the Third, the proposed expansion and probable reorganisation into leagues of 16 may well get rushed through quickly which would probably enable them to somehow jump a division on the way back up. and limit there exile from the top division to two years.

The SFL have told clubs they cannot abstain unless it is in exceptional circumstances hence Dundee being given the right to abstain. Airdrie now has vote either yes or no.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The SFL have told clubs they cannot abstain unless it is in exceptional circumstances hence Dundee being given the right to abstain. Airdrie now has vote either yes or no.

I'm pretty sure I read this morning in one of the Scottish newspapers that Airdrie will be doing so due to a conflict of interests, namely they will be the club promoted to Division One should Rangers be refused entrance to that league.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
We would all do well to understand some things relating to Rangers and indeed Portsmouth. Both clubs, well run for decades and in both cases since Victorian times though Rangers around 10 or so years earlier.

Enter an unscrupulous 'regime' , person(s) not necessarily too interested in the football side of things, and looking for 'the quick buck' and then you begin to see the total reality.

I do not for one minute condone what has happened to these (and similar clubs), and how close did we come to oblivion, or at least conference, BUT, again remember that both have existed for more than 100 years and in that time have paid a considerable amount of tax etc. Rangers fans (75%) have, I believe I read, expressed their 'willingness' to participate at the lowest level so, on the other hand , a bit different from Pompey.

Rangers have been a huge club in the past and probably will be again. The problem they have , like Celtic, is that they are competing in a League which, by the nature of the country, is only well supported in the major areas of population which is Glasgow. In saying that, in terms of size, Glasgow is equalled by London and Birmingham and perhaps Manchester, there are no Liverpools or Newcastles to compare. Outside of Glasgow, Edinburgh has the same population (catchment wise) as Brighton. Total population in Scotland 6,000,000 ish., Dundee 145,000, Aberdeen 247,000 (for the entire county which is absolutely huge). It should not therefore be too difficult for people to understand the problems there are in Scotland where TV funding is absolutely minimal compared with down here. Hence claims of Sky pulling out are believable thus adding credence to some claims that clubs will go under 'soon'

Rangers (actually they no longer exist), are in'trouble' because of years of overspending and cheating the taxman.

Why did they overspend....? Glasgow is fairly unique in football terms. It cannot be seen to be dominated wholly by their sectarian rivals. Liverpool and Everton are from the same city with one club (liverpool) being by far the most successful during the last 3-4 decades. You don't see Everton risking their very future on this rivalry. That,s because it is 'just' a football rivalry....not a sectarian rivalry.

You are quite right, Scotland does not have a population to sustain a 'top football' league. Yet, sectarian bragging rights have clouded the owners views and in particular, Rangers. So desperate were they 20-30 years ago, they had quite a few regular England international players on their books....utter financial madness...!

With regard to the 75% of Rangers fans who want to re-start in Division 3, this is overwhelmingly because they know full well that many of the clubs in Scotland will face administration due to financial hardship. The Rangers supporters want their revenge....nothing less will do.

Football income via season tickets, is no longer the largest item.......Sky TV, sponsorship, corporate etc etc have seen to that. Rangers and Celtic made sure they got the lions share of that income.....and now they are reaping the reward of their two-bob league. All clubs in Scotland need to 'cut their cloth' accordingly. They will never have a 'top-class football'league in Scotland. They need to get real and get used it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm pretty sure I read this morning in one of the Scottish newspapers that Airdrie will be doing so due to a conflict of interests, namely they will be the club promoted to Division One should Rangers be refused entrance to that league.
If Airdrie was allowed to abstain it also has a knock on effect for Stranraer who would be promoted into SFL2 as losing play off finalists and have already declared they will vote "no".

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
cjd; That said:
Everton is traditionally a Catholic club,Liverpool is Protestant. Same in Edinburgh....Hibs is catholic,Hearts Protestant.Nothing like the Glasgow hatred though,but it does exist in both these cities.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Rangers (actually they no longer exist), are in'trouble' because of years of overspending and cheating the taxman.

Why did they overspend....? Glasgow is fairly unique in football terms. It cannot be seen to be dominated wholly by their sectarian rivals. Liverpool and Everton are from the same city with one club (liverpool) being by far the most successful during the last 3-4 decades. You don't see Everton risking their very future on this rivalry. That,s because it is 'just' a football rivalry....not a sectarian rivalry.

You are quite right, Scotland does not have a population to sustain a 'top football' league. Yet, sectarian bragging rights have clouded the owners views and in particular, Rangers. So desperate were they 20-30 years ago, they had quite a few regular England international players on their books....utter financial madness...!

With regard to the 75% of Rangers fans who want to re-start in Division 3, this is overwhelmingly because they know full well that many of the clubs in Scotland will face administration due to financial hardship. The Rangers supporters want their revenge....nothing less will do.

Football income via season tickets, is no longer the largest item.......Sky TV, sponsorship, corporate etc etc have seen to that. Rangers and Celtic made sure they got the lions share of that income.....and now they are reaping the reward of their two-bob league. All clubs in Scotland need to 'cut their cloth' accordingly. They will never have a 'top-class football'league in Scotland. They need to get real and get used it.

You make 'some' valid points there but, like you, I just wanted to air one or two.

I watched Rangers when I was young, watched Celtic for professional reasons, watched Dundee when I subsequently moved there, and then to Inverness which, at the time, was more interested in Rugby Union and supported three non league soccer teams, and now ( as I understand it ) an amalgamated SPL team supported by a population of 35000 ?

One thing though, you should never say never for two such massive clubs as Rangers and Celtic, given the possibilities of future competition, which may not necessarily be restricted to national boundaries.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
You make 'some' valid points there but, like you, I just wanted to air one or two.

I watched Rangers when I was young, watched Celtic for professional reasons, watched Dundee when I subsequently moved there, and then to Inverness which, at the time, was more interested in Rugby Union and supported three non league soccer teams, and now ( as I understand it ) an amalgamated SPL team supported by a population of 35000 ?

One thing though, you should never say never for two such massive clubs as Rangers and Celtic, given the possibilities of future competition, which may not necessarily be restricted to national boundaries.

And so you should air your views......it's good to talk...LOL.!

I have tenuous links with Scotland having been born just outside Edinburgh and my long-departed father was a passionate Hearts supporter...(I did manage to persaude him to get a Season Ticket in the South stand during the Peter Ward era though) . It is partly due to this (and experiencing a Hibernian v Rangers game many,many years ago..) that I take a particular interest in Scottish football.

I believe Scotlands future on the world football stage has long been on a slippery slope and all the time Sky TV etc keeps deciding who is 'hot' and who is 'not'....the decline will continue. Rangers attempt to stay with the 'big boys' was always doomed to failure. I suspect Celtic will follow their demise as a top European team (albeit not so spectacularly) eventually.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Not really massive though are they?

How many Celtic or Rangers shirts have you seen outside of Scotland? They are hardly Man Utd and outside of Glasgow you would be hard pushed to find anyone who really gave a shit what happened to them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think todays decision will turn out to be a good thing for Scottish football. It will certainly be more interesting. For starters there will be 11 SPL clubs with just 4 'cup finals' to play instead of 8, so celtic might get a harder time of it. Then there's the loss of Rangers as a motivating force for the Celtic players.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Irrespective of the rights and wrongs and how to deal with the Rangers 'problem'. Pure and simple Rangers screwed up massively and makes Pompys' demise look like "sorry we thought we were on direct debit". They have cheated the game and have been found out and should in all honesty have to start again in the 3rd division. Money should not come into it and the game in Scotland will recover and I think will be stronger for it. The SPL voted by the sounds of it from the fans view point which is great. The only club to 'vote' or not as it turned out was Kilmarnock who knew the financial implications of not having Rangers fans visit Rugby Park and taking over three stands would be too much to gamble. So Celtic could quite possibly not have an Old Firm game now for 3 seasons but when should this be a basis on ensuring the game is beyond reproach and I for one think the SPL have taken a bold step to ensure integrity of the league even if it is at the detrement on the quality of the league.

Can you imagine the EPL doing the same is Arsenal were liquidated. No I thought not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here