Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 120 37.0%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 183 56.5%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 5.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
There was a guy on the BBC news channel last night, European economist who lives in Washington, said all Trump's Bullshit statements is currently taking up all the media space over there effectively blocking Harris out. He was very depressed, thought he was going to get 4 more years. And we're not talking in the penitentiary!! 😞

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Trump calls for his political opponents (the ‘radical left‘ the lunatics inside’ ) to be ’handled’ by the military on election day.

Implies the Democrats are more dangerous than Russia, China and ‘all these Countries’

I said it before and I'll say it again, Trump's first order of business will be to destroy his enemies. He views being President as being akin to a Mafia kingpin. If he gets in, I genuinely think Democrats are in serious danger.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I said it before and I'll say it again, Trump's first order of business will be to destroy his enemies. He views being President as being akin to a Mafia kingpin. If he gets in, I genuinely think Democrats are in serious danger.

Nah, he said he'd put Hilary Clinton behind bars too. He'd still be bound by laws, he wouldn't just be able to arrest people he doesn't agree with.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
You don’t need to say it again on my account - I don’t disagree.😉

If he ‘gets in’, it won’t be just the Democrats in ’danger’, it will be anyone or any institution that choses to oppose him. That could be the security forces/FBI, the judiciary/DoJ, members of his own Party or anyone who critices him publicly.

Project 2025 (which I read most of a few months ago) lays the groundwork for a radical centralising programme that shifts power to the executive and would give the President far reaching powers that go beyond his current constitutional limits. It removes numerous layers of regional government in areas as diverse as education and the environment. Add that to the recent SCOTUS ruling that the President has complete immunity against prosecution for any criminal behaviour while carrying out the duties of the executive and President, the US is facing a seismic shift in it’s core identity as a liberal democracy that traditionally has been open and welcoming to the rest of the world and prides itself on the peaceful transition of power.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
How often over the decades have US citizens been told by the Right that the threat to their freedom and democracy comes from Communism (of which the NHS is deemed to be an example!), when it is the Hard Right and Christian Fundamentalists themselves who want to centralise State power, impose conformity, restrict liberties (a woman's right to choose, restrict or close-down 'family planning' clinics, decide what books can be stocked in school/public libraries), silence or punish critics via 'cancel culture'.

As always, the Hard Right are masters of 'projecting' - accusing their opponents of planning to do the wicked or extreme things that the Hard Right itself is planning. Of course, it works because while people are constantly being distracted by the outrageous allegations against the so-called radical Left, and frantically looking for reds-under-the-bed, the Hard Right is attacking democracy, free speech and individual liberties - often in plain sight.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Nah, he said he'd put Hilary Clinton behind bars too. He'd still be bound by laws, he wouldn't just be able to arrest people he doesn't agree with.
This is why he wants to reclassify thousands of civil servants as political appointees (instead of professionals) so he can fire them and replace them with toadies that will do his bidding. He'll decimate the DOJ and replace them with people who will prosecute regardless of whether there is any sort of crime to prosecute. It may not actually lead to a conviction (but with the judges his appointed, maybe), but dragging his enemies through the courts for months or years alone could be enough of a punishment (especially financially) for him.

He won't make the "mistake" of being bound by laws again.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Thankfully, he was staggeringly ineffective and unproductive during his first term. But that's what Project 2025 is about. This time there will be much better organisation around him to actually enact the legislation they need to to pursue their extreme agenda. Hopefully they'll not get the chance!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This is why he wants to reclassify thousands of civil servants as political appointees (instead of professionals) so he can fire them and replace them with toadies that will do his bidding. He'll decimate the DOJ and replace them with people who will prosecute regardless of whether there is any sort of crime to prosecute. It may not actually lead to a conviction (but with the judges his appointed, maybe), but dragging his enemies through the courts for months or years alone could be enough of a punishment (especially financially) for him.

He won't make the "mistake" of being bound by laws again.
Although he may seek to not be bound by laws, he will be bound by the law of time.

He doesn't have too many ticks left on his clock and should really be enjoying his retirement now rather than putting himself through more stress.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Putin is praying for a Trump victory, America in chaos, the west curved up, the pillars of democracy crumbling. If he wins I do think this time we really have a moment on our hands, the biggest since the end of WW2. And god help the fight to tackle climate change the biggest threat of our time

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Putin is praying for a Trump victory, America in chaos, the west curved up, the pillars of democracy crumbling. If he wins I do think this time we really have a moment on our hands, the biggest since the end of WW2. And god help the fight to tackle climate change the biggest threat of our time
Indeed. Putin will punch the air if Trump wins and the world will suffer.

The result - and the fate of the world - is on a knife edge.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I do think that the damage done to tackling climate change might be the biggest legacy of the first (and hopefully only) Trump term. It feels like those four years might have been the critical last chance to really stop or at least significantly lessen the coming (or maybe already here) catastrophe. Instead, he didn't just pause doing anything on climate, he actively rolled everything back. He actually accelerated the damage.

One hundred years from now, people may look back at Trump not as Nero, who fiddled while Rome burned, but as Nero with a can of gasoline and a box of matches.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Although he may seek to not be bound by laws, he will be bound by the law of time.

He doesn't have too many ticks left on his clock and should really be enjoying his retirement now rather than putting himself through more stress.
A lot less stressful for him than court, trials and jail. Keeping himself out of these is what this is ALL about.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Trump, who is definitely okay, and not suffering from any kind of mental decline spent the last half an hour of his rally yesterday doing this:

Just playing music and vaguely swaying around. For thirty minutes!

He doesn't even know the dance:

Looks like they ignored this

and this

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Thankfully, he was staggeringly ineffective and unproductive during his first term. But that's what Project 2025 is about. This time there will be much better organisation around him to actually enact the legislation they need to to pursue their extreme agenda. Hopefully they'll not get the chance!
None of it will happen.

He’s only trying to get office again so he can stay out of jail.

It’ll be 4 years of golf, inane ramblings and racist buffoonery.

Other people will handle the business of running the country. That’s the real worry.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
None of it will happen.

He’s only trying to get office again so he can stay out of jail.

It’ll be 4 years of golf, inane ramblings and racist buffoonery.

Other people will handle the business of running the country. That’s the real worry.
Well, exactly. There will be people cracking on with their cuntery and he will be there to sign whatever they ask him to. And appoint at least one more Supreme Court judge and THAT's another worry!

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
The question is whether these damning articles are getting through to the few small number of people who actually need to see them. It's possible that Trump will sleepwalk into the presidency for the second time, having been thrashed at the ballot box nationwide but having scored tiny majorities in a small handful of states.

Ridiculous system of electing a government.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Trump, who is definitely okay, and not suffering from any kind of mental decline spent the last half an hour of his rally yesterday doing this:

Just playing music and vaguely swaying around. For thirty minutes!

He doesn't even know the dance:

I mean it is really quite funny on one level but this raving and dithering lunatic could be about to become yet again the leader of the free world with his hands on the nuclear football.

For fcuking crying out loud - this can’t be happening 😳

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I mean it is really quite funny on one level but this raving and dithering lunatic could be about to become yet again the leader of the free world with his hands on the nuclear football.

For fcuking crying out loud - this can’t be happening 😳
Indeed. It's maddening. And it's absolutely not good.

As much of a bleeding heart liberal that I generally am (at least by US standards), I do think we need a functioning and serious conservative opposition to keep us honest. But we don't have that. At all. They do not engage in anything remotely resembling good faith debate anymore. Some people will try to "both sides" this thing, but that's really dishonest. It's only one side that has brought us to this point. And it's not the Democrats.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here