Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russia V England

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why is that such a hard though to imagine. Gerrard has been poor in an england shirt for a long time, these two performance (especially sat) highlight that. It is an easy bandwagon to jump on with "fat frank" thing and booing him, however he hasn't been fat since proberly his west ham days and has been the driving force behind chelsea who struggle without him even with ballack, essien, makelele and mikel.

Steven Gerrard Frank Lampard
CAPS 60 -------------- 57
Goals 12 -------------- 13

Why boo lampard and idolise gerrard?

Superb post. I'm not saying Lampard has been 'better' - he probably hasn't. But he's certainly not been worse over such a long period of time. It's just a shame we don't have another more hungry centre midfielder who can push forward, as then the solution would be obvious - drop both of them!

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
hair-bear-bunch-the.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There are too many players that feel they are guaranteed a shirt whatever happens.

Look at Barry. He has been a revelation since he was called into the squad. He has performed consistently well at club level for many years and never gave up hope of playing for England again.

Time to get rid or drop a few of the old soldiers or at least ensure there is competition for places. A decent individual does not necessarily make a decent international player.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I see people are finally starting to see through Steven Gerrard then...

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
How on earth do you reach that conclusion? We have no pace on the flanks, no guile in the middle, and a pair of strikers who can't play together............and Paul Robinson

Please remind me, what team won the last Euro competition?

England have a decent chance of winning this tournament FACT!

There's only the small matter of qualifying for it first...

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you think we were bad....just watching the Irish against Cyprus...the irish are making Cyprus look like Brazil

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I actually agree with you regarding Robinson, the way he's been treated is a disgrace. Hasn't he kep 10 clean sheets or something daft?

As for the press going 'beserk' about Barry and Gerrard...i usually read the sports pages of the Mail, Sun and Times after England games, and have seen little praise of the two of them. BARRY has been given HEAPS of praise, and deservedly so, for he's been a revelation in the middle, in the same way Hargreaves was at the world cup. The "lampard and Gerrard don't work together" excuse has gone, and we're seeing good performances from the holding midfielder...but not the attacking one. As a result, our midfielder DOESN'T have any goal thread, when it really should. Even with defensive midfield players behind him, Gerrard doesn't have the drive or (dare i say it) passion he does in a Liverpool shirt. Personally, i don't think he looked interested tonight, and that annoys me BIG time. But, according to you, that makes me a wanker. Each to their own, and all that....

Well for me, Gerrard is twice the player Lampard is. Lampard is the same player that David Platt was in the mid 90's - contributes nowt except the odd ghost into the box for a goal. That's not enough for me.

This whole "Gerrard lacks passion" debate is ballshit too. Personally I think he realy cares about England, but tell me this. Does Rio show more passion when playing for England? Does Joe Cole care more about the three lions than Chelsea? No, so why single Gerrard out?

It's not you're opinion that Gerrard looked disinterested that make me think you're a tosser. It's posts like "Gerrard = Prick" . I just don't the like the negativity that you persistently post on here.

Anyway, I have a seven day old son to enjoy.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Please remind me, what team won the last Euro competition?

England have a decent chance of winning this tournament FACT!

There's only the small matter of qualifying for it first...

In answer to your question, I believe the answer was Greece.

As for a 'decent chance', I don't believe that a team that has:

(a) only won one competition since it first entered the World Cup in 1950, (and that was with home advantage)
(b) has failed to qualify for the World Cup in 1974, 1978 and 1994
(c) a record in the European Championship puts us an unimpressive 13th in the all time list of achievers in the competition
(d) has a best performance in the Euro Championships (when not having home advantage) is one quarter final place

.........has a 'decent' chance (although it depends on your definition of the word 'decent' of course)

In answer to your question, I believe the answer was Greece.

(a) only won one competition since it first entered the World Cup in 1950, (and that was with home advantage)
(c) a record in the European Championship puts us an unimpressive 13th in the all time list of achievers in the competition
(d) has a best performance in the Euro Championships (when not having home advantage) is one quarter final place

.........has a 'decent' chance (although it depends on your definition of the word 'decent' of course)

The answer of Greece, might hint that a previous record, however poor, means very little.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

Summed it up nicely - but it's all the manager's fault apparently.

Yes its all my fault....
:drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Don't feel guilty...it is clearly Gerrard's fault. He alone has cost England a place in the finals...that's if you want to believe the teenage ramblings on here.

The whole f***ing team is responsible -not ONE player!

Rooney-not Gerrard-was responsible for their first goal. That's ROONEY not Gerrard. Outside the area or not, his challenge was pathetic that close to the penalty area.

Who gives a flying f*** what position Richards occupies-in front of goal with nobody to beat a professional footballer should score. Sol Campbell had a free header in front of goal but headed it 10 feet over the bar. Shouldn't a big lump like him be scoring in situations like that?

What was Wright-Philips doing most of the game? Running like a man possessed but did bugger all when it mattered. And Joe Cole really set the world alight with his performance didn't he? Great goal keeping by Robinson for their second goal too-a shot from 20 yards out, clear view of the ball and spilled it to one of their forwards.

So yes, it was all down to Gerrard for single handedly costing England the game.....:rolleyes:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Rooney-not Gerrard-was responsible for their first goal. That's ROONEY not Gerrard. Outside the area or not, his challenge was pathetic that close to the penalty area.

now I understand what your saying there, but why the f*** should Rooney be defending in his own penalty area ..

Rooney was in Barrys position, a position that if Lampard was playing would 'probably' be occupied by Stevie G who can tackle as we know ...

I blame Hargreaves if he was playing tonight we would have won this 1 nill !!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Ow well.

But as I said at the final whistle, and before they kicked off, 'at least there's one other team who'll f*** it up even more spectacularly.....' Step forward - Scotland! Sure as eggs are eggs, the jock's laughing faces soon resembled a smacked arse as those footballing ambassadors from Georgia played out an easy 2 nil win. It's been nearly a decade since we could crack that old joke 'what do you call a Scotsman in round 2?' and I confidently predict we won't be able to dust it down for another 10 years at least!

Nice try McNever-Qualify Army - safe to book that summer holiday again:bigwave:WQQQQ

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
To sum up:
It was an awful tackle from Rooney but he really shouldn't have to be making tackles there, a bad decision from the ref but our goal was definetley offside, earlier results have cost us, if Russia do f*** up i still think the manager should be replaced, i don't think Gerrard's to blame but he has been poor for a long time and escaped criticism

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Great goal keeping by Robinson for their second goal too-a shot from 20 yards out, clear view of the ball and spilled it to one of their forwards.

My flatmate and I have often commented about how shit Robinson is whilst watching MotD, but that second goal was pure Henderson...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here