Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russia V England

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You're right-he lost the game all by himself....forgetting Gooney clattering a Russian near the penalty area, Richards missing a good chance, SWP going AWOL and..oh, I can't be bothered

Pretty much.

The 'star' midfielder - absent for the WHOLE qualifying campagin, despite the fact that he's the MAIN man in every Liverpool encounter. He missed our only chance, offered no drive, no captaincy, and was generally shit.

That's not to say the rest of the midfield was good - they were all VERY shit too.

Don't think you can blame Rooney, as the Referee cost us that one...oh and he scored a screamer. Richards is a centre half, wouldn't have EXPECTED him to score. Wright-Phillips has one good game and 5 shit ones...sadly, Gerrard has had about 30 shit England games, yet nobody notices on the grounds that he's 'not Frank Lamoard'.

Having said that, who was on the subs bench tonight? I wasn't paying much attention, but why the HELL did McClaren expect Stewart Downing to improve a midfield as GASH as that?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
You're right-he lost the game all by himself....forgetting Gooney clattering a Russian near the penalty area, Richards missing a good chance, SWP going AWOL and..oh, I can't be bothered

ok, but Gerrard's miss TURNED the game, would have been all over it had hit the net

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Pretty much.

The 'star' midfielder - absent for the WHOLE qualifying campagin, despite the fact that he's the MAIN man in every Liverpool encounter. He missed our only chance, offered no drive, no captaincy, and was generally shit.

That's not to say the rest of the midfield was good - they were all VERY shit too.

Don't think you can blame Rooney, as the Referee cost us that one...oh and he scored a screamer. Richards is a centre half, wouldn't have EXPECTED him to score. Wright-Phillips has one good game and 5 shit ones...sadly, Gerrard has had about 30 shit England games, yet nobody notices on the grounds that he's 'not Frank Lamoard'.

Having said that, who was on the subs bench tonight? I wasn't paying much attention, but why the HELL did McClaren expect Stewart Downing to improve a midfield as GASH as that?

Is this geezer for real????????

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Is this geezer for real????????

Yes, yes i am.

What do you disagree with?
Can you name a world class Gerrard performance that wasn't in a Liverpool shirt?
Can you name a midfielder who looked 'good' tonight?

??

edit - a decent Gerrard performance since 2001!!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I've just listed the reasons - and you've asked what they are. Again. I suggest you read posts before replying, I'm not at my most tolerant after that result. Are you seriously saying our sights should be set no higher than Scotland? You're on your own if you are.

Dont get me wrong, Im not having a go at you personally!

But I fail see why should we set our sights higher than Scotland!

Apart from having the most televised football league in the world, what has England achieved to justify us saying we WILL or SHOULD be winning these tournaments?

Oct 25, 2003
to be honest, if we fail to qualify it won't be because of that game, we played fairly good if you think about it.......a poor ref decision and a lapse in concentration are hardly CARDINAL SINS

if we fail to qualify it'll be down to the draw at home to MACEDONIA

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
Dont get me wrong, Im not having a go at you personally!

But I fail see why should we set our sights higher than Scotland!

Apart from having the most televised football league in the world, what has England achieved to justify us saying we WILL or SHOULD be winning these tournaments?

WE SHOULD AT LEAST QUALIFY FOR THEM!

And the individual talent in the team suggests we should have a decent chance of winning this tournament

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Yes, yes i am.

What do you disagree with?
Can you name a world class Gerrard performance that wasn't in a Liverpool shirt?
Can you name a midfielder who looked 'good' tonight?

??

edit - a decent Gerrard performance since 2001!!!

Whatever mate, no point going through all of Steven Gerrards world class performances since 2001 do you? Thought he done fantasticaly well tonight and if you want hang him out to dry for one missed chance then so be it, seems to be the mentality of the general England supporter nowadays. Are you seriously suggesting you would rather see Lampard in instead of Gerrard??
Thought the performance in general was prety much spot on tonight and apart from 5 minutes of madness. The failure of this qulaifaction campain is probably due to the Macedonia at home result.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
WE SHOULD AT LEAST QUALIFY FOR THEM!

And the individual talent in the team suggests we should have a decent chance of winning this tournament

I'd just like to point out that those are northstander's views, not mine. I'm with you. How he managed to attribute them to me in a quote is almost as baffling as our inability to beat Macedonia last year.

Now it's done the same for you! WTF is going on?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Whatever mate, no point going through all of Steven Gerrards world class performances since 2001 do you? Thought he done fantasticaly well tonight and if you want hang him out to dry for one missed chance then so be it, seems to be the mentality of the general England supporter nowadays. Are you seriously suggesting you would rather see Lampard in instead of Gerrard??
Thought the performance in general was prety much spot on tonight and apart from 5 minutes of madness. The failure of this qulaifaction campain is probably due to the Macedonia at home result.

I wouldn't waste your energy responding to this plum. He greeted our opener against Bournemouth with a single word post - "bugger". Now he is blaming England's best player for our defeat tonight. What a twat.

PS - If you really need an indication of when Steven Gerrard has played well for England you should really stop posting comments on football chat sites. However, just to help you out, try pretty much every game in the last world cup for starters.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

How on earth do you reach that conclusion? We have no pace on the flanks, no guile in the middle, and a pair of strikers who can't play together............and Paul Robinson

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I wouldn't waste your energy responding to this plum. He greeted our opener against Bournemouth with a single word post - "bugger". Now he is blaming England's best player for our defeat tonight. What a twat.

PS - If you really need an indication of when Steven Gerrard has played well for England you should really stop posting comments on football chat sites. However, just to help you out, try pretty much every game in the last world cup for starters.

:D:D You clown.

The post 'bugger' was made in jest...following me jumping up and punching the air...with delight! Of course i dont want any yeam i suppose to LOSE.

I'm not BLAMING him for defeat tonight, i'm just ANNOYED at the way that he is shit more often than not when in an England shirt, and still escapes any of the blame from MUGS like you. He gave the ball away several times, once again offered NONE of the drive that he shows for Liverpool, and fluffed a SITTER that would have won the game, but is still our 'best' player....how does that work?

As for the world cup...Gerrard played well? You mean the same world cup when Joe Cole and Hargreaves were the ONLY players who looked anything like 'class' footballers? When the team was (again) useless, and struggled against Trinidad, Paraguay and Ecuador?!?!

I don't think Gerrard was entirely to blame tonight, but i think his JOKE performance needs highlighting yet again, whereas the likes of you probably turn to McClaren, because he's an easy target:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
How on earth do you reach that conclusion? We have no pace on the flanks, no guile in the middle, and a pair of strikers who can't play together............and Paul Robinson

No pace on the flanks? What about Wright-Phillips?

Not that i disagree, the whole team is found out every time we play anyone good

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
That's what you get if you play a knuckle dragging THICK yob like Rooney in an important game. You can't expect people without a brain to cope in a pressure situation. McLaren is reactive rather than pro-active. It's taken him over a year to realise Lampard and Gerrard don't play well together. He still hasn't realised Robinson is a shit goalkeeper, and he has paid the price. Plus it's also obvious to most people that Rooney and Owen are not an effective strike partnership. Rooney shouldn't be anywhere near this England team. It's Owen and a big man all the way for me.

Steady, i dare to criticise our 'best player' Gerrard...yet you are saying we should DROP the goalscorer?!?! Prepare to be labelled a twat!

Granted, he doesn't work well with Owen, but surely you'd have him in there? Even if it's Behind a front two. Hell, if Joe Cole can play left midfield, so can Rooney. And Rooney FIGHTS for the ball. That's more than the rest of the clowns can say - no passion, no desire, no end product:nono:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
:D:D You clown.

The post 'bugger' was made in jest...following me jumping up and punching the air...with delight! Of course i dont want any yeam i suppose to LOSE.

I'm not BLAMING him for defeat tonight, i'm just ANNOYED at the way that he is shit more often than not when in an England shirt, and still escapes the blame from MUGS like you. He gave the ball away several times, once again offered NONE of the drive that he shows for Liverpool, and fluffed a SITTER that would have won the game, but is still our 'best' player....how does that work?

As for the world cup...Gerrard played well? You mean the same world cup when Joe Cole and Hargreaves were the ONLY players who looked anything like 'class' footballers? When the team was (again) useless, and struggles against Trinidad, Paraguay and Ecuador?!?!

I don't think Gerrard was entirely to blame tonight, but i think his JOKE performance needs highlighting yet again, whereas the likes of you probably turn to McClaren, because he's an easy target:rolleyes:[/QUOTE

Well thanks for guessing who I "blame" and then rolling your eyes :tosser: For the record, I don't blame McLaren, I would have started with the same side. The biggest individual error was Robinson's, but I blame the press for his demise. I just think we failed to take our chances.

As for Gerrard, you talk out of your arse fella. All the press have been going beserk about how well Barry and Gerrard have combined in recent matches but you seem to think that everyone else is wrong and you are right? :tosser:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Are you seriously suggesting you would rather see Lampard in instead of Gerrard??

Why is that such a hard though to imagine. Gerrard has been poor in an england shirt for a long time, these two performance (especially sat) highlight that. It is an easy bandwagon to jump on with "fat frank" thing and booing him, however he hasn't been fat since proberly his west ham days and has been the driving force behind chelsea who struggle without him even with ballack, essien, makelele and mikel.

Steven Gerrard Frank Lampard
CAPS 60 -------------- 57
Goals 12 -------------- 13

Why boo lampard and idolise gerrard?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Well thanks for guessing who I "blame" and then rolling your eyes :tosser: For the record, I don't blame McLaren, I would have started with the same side. The biggest individual error was Robinson's, but I blame the press for his demise. I just think we failed to take our chances.

As for Gerrard, you talk out of your arse fella. All the press have been going beserk about how well Barry and Gerrard have combined in recent matches but you seem to think that everyone else is wrong and you are right? :tosser:

I actually agree with you regarding Robinson, the way he's been treated is a disgrace. Hasn't he kep 10 clean sheets or something daft?

As for the press going 'beserk' about Barry and Gerrard...i usually read the sports pages of the Mail, Sun and Times after England games, and have seen little praise of the two of them. BARRY has been given HEAPS of praise, and deservedly so, for he's been a revelation in the middle, in the same way Hargreaves was at the world cup. The "lampard and Gerrard don't work together" excuse has gone, and we're seeing good performances from the holding midfielder...but not the attacking one. As a result, our midfielder DOESN'T have any goal thread, when it really should. Even with defensive midfield players behind him, Gerrard doesn't have the drive or (dare i say it) passion he does in a Liverpool shirt. Personally, i don't think he looked interested tonight, and that annoys me BIG time. But, according to you, that makes me a wanker. Each to their own, and all that....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here