Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I See someone needs a history lesson....

"Potter brought Ecuador international Pervis Estupinan to Amex Stadium during his tenure"

did he ?
did he really ?

pretty sure he was not in charge of recruitment

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He would only have played about two games before Potter left for Chelsea.
Yes, but Potter was manager when he arrived - and we've always been told that though the recruitment department finds the players, the manager still has a say in whether to sign them or not, so in that sense it's perfectly true to say that as Potter approved the move, he brought him to Brighton.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Yes, but Potter was manager when he arrived - and we've always been told that though the recruitment department finds the players, the manager still has a say in whether to sign them or not, so in that sense it's perfectly true to say that as Potter approved the move, he brought him to Brighton.
I think some sort of professional driver may have been involved in bringing him to Brighton, if we're going to be very technical.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
He will forever float around the football peripherals, popping up here and there.
No need to get his hands dirty again, so why bother.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I See someone needs a history lesson....

"Potter brought Ecuador international Pervis Estupinan to Amex Stadium during his tenure"

did he ?
did he really ?

pretty sure he was not in charge of recruitment
Confused by your new user name. Are you a fan of Nurse with Wound?

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I played the first 2 tracks on that and I have a question…

When do the songs get going?
Ah. Ambient soundscapes have unconventional structure.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They certainly do.

Are you familiar with the wellness session music from Severance (on Apple TV)?

Severance wellness session - 8 hours
I am now.

That's too long and dull for me.

I can just about manage a 15 minute track, but these days if Eno, David Sylvian instrumentals or Explosions in the Sky pop up on random play, I tend to push on to the next track. Give me 3 minutes of Juche, 5 minutes of Artonoise, Chaos or perhaps a whole 10 minutes of Fraunhofer Diffraction and I'm happy.

(And I'm not keen on Nurse with Wound, to be honest. I was more surprised that the artist formerly known as @psychobilly freakout apparently is).

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
I am now.

That's too long and dull for me.
Agreed, there’s no real quality to the music as it’s a short piece which someone has looped for 8 hours.

The TV show is excellent though (if you like a black comedy drama about a dystopian rogue company which employs people who voluntarily have a brain procedure which separates their awareness of home and work life).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Agreed, there’s no real quality to the music as it’s a short piece which someone has looped for 8 hours.

The TV show is excellent though (if you like a black comedy drama about a dystopian rogue company which employs people who voluntarily have a brain procedure which separates their awareness of home and work life).
The programme sounds intriguing. Cheers! :thumbsup:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Upon what evidence is this narrative based that it is Potter that has been “picky”? I mean, I know that’s the image he’s been trying to project but have any clubs actually confirmed (or has he) that he has been offered work or been told he was a Club’s first choice but then he turned them down?

(Apart from maybe Hans Solo’s apparently ITK info that he turned down Sweden?)

Since Potter left Chelsea in April 2023, just some of the Clubs scouting for new managers or looking for a permanent one include:

England
Southampton
Brighton (obviously) - no evidence he was our first choice, or that he turned us down
Liverpool
Burnley
WHU
Palace
Forest
Sheff Utd
Wolves

Europe

Barca
Juventus
Bayern Munich (taken over by Kompay)
Napoli
Fenebahce
Ajax
Nice
Lazio
AC Milan

How “picky” has he actually been? - do we really believe he’s turned down EPL clubs and some of the biggest clubs in Europe. How many of the clubs above was he the first choice for or even touted him for the job ?

Is it more likely that if he was shortlisted or approached by any of the above, which there is little evidence of apart from rumours and gossip, that he wasn’t their first choice and they actually appointed their first or even second choice applicants?

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Upon what evidence is this narrative based that it is Potter that has been “picky”? I mean, I know that’s the image he’s been trying to project but have any clubs actually confirmed (or has he) that he has been offered work or been told he was a Club’s first choice but then he turned them down?

Since Potter left Chelsea in April 2023, just some of the Clubs scouting for new managers or looking for a permanent one include:

England
Southampton
Brighton (obviously) - no evidence he was our first choice, or that he turned us down
Liverpool
Burnley
WHU
Palace
Forest
Sheff Utd
Wolves

Europe

Barca
Juventus
Napoli
Fenebahce
Ajax
Nice
Lazio
AC Milan

How “picky” has he actually been? - do we really believe he’s turned down EPL clubs and some of the biggest clubs in Europe. How many of the clubs above was he the first choice for or even touted him for the job ?

Is it more likely that if he was shortlisted or approached by any of the above, which there is little evidence of apart from rumours and gossip, that he wasn’t their first choice and they actually appointed their first or even second choice applicants?
You missed Worthing off.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ultimately a manager is remembered for results, winning promotion or silverware or possibly qualifying for Europe with an average club.

He’s achieved none of these in the English game and wants to be picky?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Ultimately a manager is remembered for results, winning promotion or silverware or possibly qualifying for Europe with an average club.

He’s achieved none of these in the English game and wants to be picky?

He can, literally, afford to be with Chelsea paying him £200,000 a week which ends around now - 18 months after his sacking in April 23. He's conned Boenley out of £13m for a few months of lackluster work.

Now his Chelsea pay off is ending, be interesting to see if he goes for another job.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Potter will have a new job by end of November

This happens every year. A manager appears on MOTD, or The Overlap (normally an hour chat with Neville and co) and starts on the charm offensive.

Just in time for the first sackings. United, Wolves, Saints potentially.

I think he's played an absolute blinder. Got rich(I don't blame him one jot for it. I'd have done exactly the same), can easily say "Chelsea were a basket case" to defend his record there and will easily get another job.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter will have a new job by end of November

This happens every year. A manager appears on MOTD, or The Overlap (normally an hour chat with Neville and co) and starts on the charm offensive.

Just in time for the first sackings. United, Wolves, Saints potentially.

I think he's played an absolute blinder. Got rich(I don't blame him one jot for it. I'd have done exactly the same), can easily say "Chelsea were a basket case" to defend his record there and will easily get another job.
I don't think he wants another job. As you say, he's played an absolute blinder. Put his mental health through the grinder for six months to generate generational wealth for his family. Why put himself through that again when he doesn't have to? He can, er, potter, about for the rest of his life now, dabble in exactly what he wants to. Yup, he has played an absolute blinder, and fair play for scooping up some of the obscene amounts of money sloshing around the EPL then getting out to Spend More Time With His Family. Connecting with them even

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011

England
Southampton
Liverpool
Burnley
WHU
Palace
Forest
Sheff Utd
Wolves

Europe

Barca
Juventus
Napoli
Fenebahce
Ajax
Nice
Lazio
AC Milan

As someone who is usually very thorough with their research I’m extremely surprised you aren’t aware he was very strongly linked with Leicester and Ajax. A quick Google will back this up. You’re welcome.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here