Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Once again, I find myself wondering where Potter will pop up next, and considering the likely vacancies this season.

Hope it's not the last one.

Leicester
Everton
Man United
Southampton
West Ham
Palace
I think he would turn down Leicester and Everton. He might have already.

The others... sure. Ashworth makes Man United a possibility. Southampton is a little dubious, you're basically taking a job where you're almost guaranteed to end up relegated. West Ham or Palace could be the most likely. He would most likely prefer West Ham for a bunch of reasons. Palace would be a decent option for him but not sure how keen he is on operating in what appears to be eternal low intensity chaos.

I think a priority for Potter is to have sensible people around him, like the CEO at Swansea or TB/PB/DA in the Brighton years. I don't think Palace necessarily have that.

Wouldn't be awfully surprised to see him turn up in Wrexham or Luton or something, where they know a bit what they're doing.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

The others... sure. Ashworth makes Man United a possibility. Southampton is a little dubious, you're basically taking a job where you're almost guaranteed to end up relegated. West Ham or Palace could be the most likely. He would most likely prefer West Ham for a bunch of reasons. Palace would be a decent option for him but not sure how keen he is on operating in what appears to be eternal low intensity chaos.

I think a priority for Potter is to have sensible people around him, like the CEO at Swansea or TB/PB/DA in the Brighton years. I don't think Palace necessarily have that.

Wouldn't be awfully surprised to see him turn up in Wrexham or Luton or something, where they know a bit what they're doing.

I forgot Wolves. Close to his family in the Midlands. But I think they're too shit this season, and their board have made it clear they won't be investing in the team, so he may not fancy that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He forgot to say "I f***ed off for money before realising how good he was"
I know Graham liked a bit of amateur dramatics, but I'm not sure I heard him 'sing' Mitoma.

BBC obviously taking NSC's lead on these thing.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Once again, I find myself wondering where Potter will pop up next, and considering the likely vacancies this season.

Leicester
Everton
Man United
Southampton
West Ham
Palace

I would absolutely love him to get relegated with Palace.

Side note, didn't he turn Leicester down in the summer?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's he up to now? Who cares - the man has put himself beyond the pale with his performance on MOTD2 last night! FFS, sitting alongside some long-legged git who clearly knew nothing about goalkeeping either and blatantly praising Sanchez' performance! Ridiculous - how can he be a pundit when he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about! He even had the gall (sneakily implying criticism of RDZ) to praise his range of passing - range of passing? Huh? He must have been referring to those hoof ball passes - the pin point accurate hoof ball passes - that set the likes of Cucu, Mitoma or Pervis flying down the wing. Complete cloud cuckoo land................:facepalm:
Thank goodness de Zerbi came in and disabused us of the arcane idea that goalies' main job is to make amazing saves; clearly it isn't, so long as they are good with their feet.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012

None of the above. He's managed in the Champions League and far too good for that lot. 😁

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Leicester
Everton
Man United
Southampton
West Ham
Palace

In some ways, Southampton might be a good appointment. They look certain to go down, so imagine if he managed to keep them up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What's he up to now? Who cares - the man has put himself beyond the pale with his performance on MOTD2 last night! FFS, sitting alongside some long-legged git who clearly knew nothing about goalkeeping either and blatantly praising Sanchez' performance! Ridiculous - how can he be a pundit when he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about! He even had the gall (sneakily implying criticism of RDZ) to praise his range of passing - range of passing? Huh? He must have been referring to those hoof ball passes - the pin point accurate hoof ball passes - that set the likes of Cucu, Mitoma or Pervis flying down the wing. Complete cloud cuckoo land................:facepalm:
Thank goodness de Zerbi came in and disabused us of the arcane idea that goalies' main job is to make amazing saves; clearly it isn't, so long as they are good with their feet.
If he's hoping either to get a pundit gig or tout himself for a manager position, he's not showcasing himself on MOTD very well.

He has given the impression he has been ultra picky about what manager job he's prepared to consider. He needs to sound authoritative on MOTD, not diffident. For that, he risks being dismissed by club CEOs as effete.

As a pundit, he is semi-detached. A strange man, in fact. How very queer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would absolutely love him to get relegated with Palace.

Side note, didn't he turn Leicester down in the summer?
Think it was more a case of Leicester turning him down. There were reports that they were far from impressed by his clear lack of enthusiasm for the job

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If he's hoping either to get a pundit gig or tout himself for a manager position, he's not showcasing himself on MOTD very well.

He has given the impression he has been ultra picky about what manager job he's prepared to consider. He needs to sound authoritative on MOTD, not diffident. For that, he risks being dismissed by club CEOs as effete.

As a pundit, he is semi-detached. A strange man, in fact. How very queer.
Part of being picky with the next job is avoiding clubs that hire managers based on MOTD performances.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Part of being picky with the next job is avoiding clubs that hire managers based on MOTD performances.
Yes, very amusing. However he was being picky long before he appeared on MOTD. And of course nobody appoints a manager based on good punditry. But they may baulk when seeing weirdness on the telly.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Credit where it's due, I thought GP gave some good insights on MOTD2, in response to some intelligent questioning by Chappers
Obvs never been in a Potter changing room, but I cant imagine how he motivates the players. Hes just so dreary, boring and often just speaks in plattitudes.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Yes, very amusing. However he was being picky long before he appeared on MOTD. And of course nobody appoints a manager based on good punditry. But they may baulk when seeing weirdness on the telly.
Sure, why wouldn't he be picky? I know you're not given what you've said about your work situation, but some are.

Maybe weirdness turns them off but again, then they aren't ambitious enough. There's plenty of normal men managing football clubs in lower leagues and small foreign countries like.. Sweden, but there's no chance at all of a non-weird person to reach a manager gig in PL/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga/Ligue 1. People don't last a month in the Premier League unless they have absurd sides to their personalities. Goes for nearly all players as well. Compulsive perfectionists driven by demonic forces inside them. Its what it takes to reach that level. I swear even the "folkly" Jurgen Klopp have some sort of "need symmetry in my pantry or I'll wake up sweating in the middle of the night"-issues.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Until last night, I’d completely forgotten about his weird intonation on certain words. It’s like he’s speaking English as a non-native.

History should regard his spell with us as excellent, but IMO there’s zero grounds to suggest he was our best ever manager. Unless you have an unhealthy obsession with the bloke as an individual.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sure, why wouldn't he be picky? I know you're not given what you've said about your work situation, but some are.

Maybe weirdness turns them off but again, then they aren't ambitious enough. There's plenty of normal men managing football clubs in lower leagues and small foreign countries like.. Sweden, but there's no chance at all of a non-weird person to reach a manager gig in PL/La Liga/Serie A/Bundesliga/Ligue 1. People don't last a month in the Premier League unless they have absurd sides to their personalities. Goes for nearly all players as well. Compulsive perfectionists driven by demonic forces inside them. Its what it takes to reach that level. I swear even the "folkly" Jurgen Klopp have some sort of "need symmetry in my pantry or I'll wake up sweating in the middle of the night"-issues.
Fair points. I'd like to see him back in charge somewhere soon. I'd be interested to see what he might achieve.

And I am no recruiter so, at the end of the day, what do I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here