Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC v Andy Naylor

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There are several thousand of us, and one of him. Why are people surprised that sometimes some of us hear things before, or at the same time, as Andy Naylor does?

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
Loving the little snipes heading AN's way regarding his 'exclusives'

Keep it up Bozza!

Really? Strikes me as purile and embarrassing. Surely there are better targets to vent your spleen on rather than the local journo who has been covering our team for years?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
AN dont too too bad. its why the majority of people on here follow his twitter account.

But Bozza, your not bad either!

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
I agree with [MENTION=17575]Withdeano[/MENTION] can you imagine if The Argus published all the rumours and hear say about the Albion that are on here, everyone would moan about the fact that the Argus posted crap all the time. also I bet a lot of Argus readers don't spend their days on nsc like most of us, so to some it remains a source of news!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
There are several thousand of us, and one of him. Why are people surprised that sometimes some of us hear things before, or at the same time, as Andy Naylor does?

On NSC there are probably only a small group genuinely itk. Naylor will have a network both in Brighton and nationally. Therefore he should have at least a good a chance of breaking a story. I think the real problem is that he or the Argus have decided in order to get granted certain relationship with club they won't break stories until BHA give them the nod. Which is weak journalism. If they acted more independently I'm sure the club would still see value in having the Argus on their side. Especially over issues like stadium expansion, transport issues etc

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I too find it a bit embarrassing. I don't think he's a particularly talented journalist, but he's a decent man who works hard and has one hand tied behind his back with regard to his scoops. On the other hand, NSC is a fan site with probably dozens who are partly in the know and to whom it doesn't actually matter if they're wrong anyway.

I'd rather the NSC twitter account just let it lie, to be honest.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Im not going to have a go at Andy Naylor... at least when he backs up something on here Im more likely to believe it. Journalism has become both easier and harder since the advent of the internet. Harder to get an exclusive and harder to separate the true from the false but easier to find info.

He does ok by me.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Naylor sent me a couple of messages on Twitter yesterday after I'd picked him up for seeming to disparage NSC and other sources a bit. He made the valid point that whilst yes, you are going to find some truth on NSC, there is also a hell of a lot of bollocks. The stuff he puts in the Argus, while due to the nature of newspapers and the fact that he and his colleagues have to be diligent, may not necessarily be the first thing out there, but it is trustworthy.

TKC

Jun 16, 2011
He's a bloke trying to do his job, leave him to it. The bitchy comments are quite pathetic.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Naylor sent me a couple of messages on Twitter yesterday after I'd picked him up for seeming to disparage NSC and other sources a bit. He made the valid point that whilst yes, you are going to find some truth on NSC, there is also a hell of a lot of bollocks. The stuff he puts in the Argus, while due to the nature of newspapers and the fact that he and his colleagues have to be diligent, may not necessarily be the first thing out there, but it is trustworthy.

I should add that he said he did NOT intend to come across as dismissing sources like NSC.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Andy must have a ridiculously difficult job - having to churn out stories about the Albion to fill column (and website) inches when, sometimes, there's nothing to tell.

To compound the difficulty, he has to be careful about pissing the club off. There'll be times he'll be told he can't publish something or can't publish it until the club have already done so - often that news is fed from the club themselves. If Andy breaks the embargo, his stream of info from the club could soon dry up.

And there'll be other times when the club have a real coup and they don't tell anyone. CMS last Summer was one of those. We knew CMS had been at the Amex and knew the deal was done. Andy hadn't been told and was happily tweeting away that there was no way he'd could to the Albion, we couldn't afford him and Leicester or West Ham would be where he'd end up. Hours later that was all made to look foolish.

NSC on the other hand can say what we want, when we want. The club don't often tell us (me) stuff in advance, although it does happen from time to time. Vicente re-signing was one of those but I respected the club's wishes to be the first putting that news out.

Social media has also made Andy's job more difficult or, at the very least, different. Information spreads virally and it must be difficult to contend with that. He also clearly has a job of selling papers, with the numerous tweets about exclusives in the paper. It's tiresome but it's his job - I understand why he has to do it.

I'll only do the puerile stuff when Andy takes one of his oh-so-subtle swipes at NSC and Albion fans generally. Who else is going to stick up for us all?

I'd gladly buy the fella a beer or two - he's done, and continues to do, a sterling job covering the Albion. He might not feel the same way back however.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Naylor sent me a couple of messages on Twitter yesterday after I'd picked him up for seeming to disparage NSC and other sources a bit. He made the valid point that whilst yes, you are going to find some truth on NSC, there is also a hell of a lot of bollocks. The stuff he puts in the Argus, while due to the nature of newspapers and the fact that he and his colleagues have to be diligent, may not necessarily be the first thing out there, but it is trustworthy....

...and sometimes a load of old bollocks and not in the public's interest

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I too find it a bit embarrassing. I don't think he's a particularly talented journalist, but he's a decent man who works hard and has one hand tied behind his back with regard to his scoops. On the other hand, NSC is a fan site with probably dozens who are partly in the know and to whom it doesn't actually matter if they're wrong anyway.

I'd rather the NSC twitter account just let it lie, to be honest.

That is rather rich coming from one of the greatest keyboard warriors ever to grace NSC.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
...and sometimes a load of old bollocks and not in the public's interest

I'm assuming you're referring to the paper more generally rather than the sport pages? I don't live in Brighton so don't read it, I just follow the sports guys on Twitter and visit the website every so often.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is rather rich coming from one of the greatest keyboard warriors ever to grace NSC.
Thanks. *tips hat*

But seriously, I'm not arguing that point. I'm simply pointing out that you don't NEED to be getting into a willy waving contest with Naylor. That said, I'm unaware of the swipes Naylor has made towards NSC in all honesty. I've only picked up parts of the conversation.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

He's PAID to do it. And that's not the issue, he often denigrates NSC, and says that it's just full of idiots etc. He never acknowledges NSC even though it consistently breaks news before The Argus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here