Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC v Andy Naylor

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's PAID to do it. And that's not the issue, he often denigrates NSC, and says that it's just full of idiots etc. He never acknowledges NSC even though it consistently breaks news before The Argus.
LOADS of people denigrate NSC and say it's full of idiots. Mostly people with thousands of posts on it!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree with [MENTION=17575]Withdeano[/MENTION] can you imagine if The Argus published all the rumours and hear say about the Albion that are on here, everyone would moan about the fact that the Argus posted crap all the time. also I bet a lot of Argus readers don't spend their days on nsc like most of us, so to some it remains a source of news!

Agree with that - I think Naylor and Owen do a good job reporting facts which is their priority. I would like them to publish a rumour feed just for the craic but time might be an issue as their "army" of researchers is a tad smaller than ours.............................. maybe they could foster more positive relations and let us help them out :lol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
AN does a good job for us, such a shame he supports Stoke

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
LOADS of people denigrate NSC and say it's full of idiots. Mostly people with thousands of posts on it!

I can confirm from personal experience that there is a direct correlation between the number of posts on here and the seriousness with which one should be treated

My advice is to trust no-one with less than 100 posts and ignore anyone with more than 1000 :thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

DanielT

Naylor sent me a couple of messages on Twitter yesterday after I'd picked him up for seeming to disparage NSC and other sources a bit. He made the valid point that whilst yes, you are going to find some truth on NSC, there is also a hell of a lot of bollocks. The stuff he puts in the Argus, while due to the nature of newspapers and the fact that he and his colleagues have to be diligent, may not necessarily be the first thing out there, but it is trustworthy.

You'd almost made me feel for the guy until that last line. The Argus & the word trustworthy... really?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I too find it a bit embarrassing. I don't think he's a particularly talented journalist, but he's a decent man who works hard and has one hand tied behind his back with regard to his scoops. On the other hand, NSC is a fan site with probably dozens who are partly in the know and to whom it doesn't actually matter if they're wrong anyway.

I'd rather the NSC twitter account just let it lie, to be honest.

Exactly this. NSC probably gets about 1 scoop for every 200 bullshit threads

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You'd almost made me feel for the guy until that last line. The Argus & the word trustworthy... really?

Well, in terms of the sport stuff, yeah. Some people on here may have some contacts, Naylor and Brian Owen undoubtedly have hundreds if not thousands. As I said above, I can't really comment for the rest of the paper as I don't read it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Exactly this. NSC probably gets about 1 scoop for every 200 bullshit threads

Maybe.

However because I can't be arsed to write long-winded articles, I would suggest to you that the NSC Twitter account may be a better source than NSC itself for player transfer news.

Andy Naylor's job is, to a degree, the same as my non-job; to sell advertising space. We do that by trying to generate interest in Albion stories.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's PAID to do it. And that's not the issue, he often denigrates NSC, and says that it's just full of idiots etc. He never acknowledges NSC even though it consistently breaks news before The Argus.

I love NSC but just look ay what its been like over the last few weeks? Thread after thread after thread of attention seeking nobodies making up shoddy rumours. Eventually, one HAS to be right but to take credit for breaking a story on here is rarely a proper ***BREAKING NEWS*** story because its almost always unvalidated.

Naylor cannot take the same scattergun approach and is hamstrung by the clubs media department as well as that pesky thing of validating his leads.

Besides, if reporters quote NSC as a source 99% of the time he'll look a right fool.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Andy Naylor has to exercise a certain level of professionalism and due diligence. NSC doesn't have to do that to anything like the same extent.

I think Andy Naylor criticises NSC far less than people on NSC criticise him, so if there is there odd waspish comment from him, I'm not surprised - and now and then it's probably fully deserved.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Maybe.

However because I can't be arsed to write long-winded articles, I would suggest to you that the NSC Twitter account may be a better source than NSC itself for player transfer news.

Andy Naylor's job is, to a degree, the same as my non-job; to sell advertising space. We do that by trying to generate interest in Albion stories.

Oh I am not doubting you get inside info, so trust what you say on here or Twitter. But don't think Naylor deserves flack for the job he does

D

Deleted member 18477

Andy must have a ridiculously difficult job - having to churn out stories about the Albion to fill column (and website) inches when, sometimes, there's nothing to tell.

To compound the difficulty, he has to be careful about pissing the club off. There'll be times he'll be told he can't publish something or can't publish it until the club have already done so - often that news is fed from the club themselves. If Andy breaks the embargo, his stream of info from the club could soon dry up.

And there'll be other times when the club have a real coup and they don't tell anyone. CMS last Summer was one of those. We knew CMS had been at the Amex and knew the deal was done. Andy hadn't been told and was happily tweeting away that there was no way he'd could to the Albion, we couldn't afford him and Leicester or West Ham would be where he'd end up. Hours later that was all made to look foolish.

NSC on the other hand can say what we want, when we want. The club don't often tell us (me) stuff in advance, although it does happen from time to time. Vicente re-signing was one of those but I respected the club's wishes to be the first putting that news out.

Social media has also made Andy's job more difficult or, at the very least, different. Information spreads virally and it must be difficult to contend with that. He also clearly has a job of selling papers, with the numerous tweets about exclusives in the paper. It's tiresome but it's his job - I understand why he has to do it.

I'll only do the puerile stuff when Andy takes one of his oh-so-subtle swipes at NSC and Albion fans generally. Who else is going to stick up for us all?

I'd gladly buy the fella a beer or two - he's done, and continues to do, a sterling job covering the Albion. He might not feel the same way back however.

I agree. I use to think naylor was a twat but actually he's alrite. Twitter etc will give him more rumours to talk about but also a lot of bullshit!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

By and large, NSC IS full of idiots.

Some of those idiots can hide behind their user names and post 'scoops' that they have, almost certainly, been told in confidence.

Naylor on the other hand, would be a FOOL to betray the confidence of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here