Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navarro, Poke and Gonzales not offered new deals (merged)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He can go on trf list, would cost someone money, not sure he would attract that much interest

One of our best players last year. FACT

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
He can go on trf list, would cost someone money, not sure he would attract that much interest

Ridiculous comment. He is a top class league one player and decent championship player - of course there would be interest.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Why do people continually compare Dicker and Nav ?.... they are not the same.

As Gus has said, we are over loaded centrally, we need to release a couple to get JFC more action and opportunties in the side.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
We need a "squad " of at least 30 players. Some of the players ,i am sure have been told,that they will have to "fight for a place ",and then given the option of a free transfer.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Some of the players may well have been told they are not part of Gus' plans but as they are under contract they are under no obligation to leave.
Unless they can get the same money elsewhere I suspect some of these may stay and pick up wages but make very few appearances.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
We should have a first team squad of 22, IMO; two players for each position. The back-up can be filled with emergency loans or development squad players - Gus has shown with Hall, JFC, Dunk & Agdestein he will give them a chance in the first team if they are needed and deserve it. What's the point in having 30+ senior players before the likes of these guys get a look-in?

New GK, Brezovan.
Calderon, Vincelot.
Mattock(?), Painter/new LB.
Greer, Dunk, El-Abd, Elphick. (Hall)
Bridcutt, Dicker/Sparrow, New CM, New CM. (JFC)
Vicente, Buckley, LuaLua, Noone.
New ST, CMS, Barnes, Hoskins/New ST. (Agdestein).

Out: Ankergren, Poke, Gonzalez, Harley, Navarro (shame)
Possible outs: Painter, Dicker, Sparrow, Hoskins.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Why the f*** did poyet play Navarro so much this season then? Him not wanting promotion this season looks more and more likely...

I agree with all releases through. Best for all parties involved.

Exactly this.Very strange to think he picked him for nearly every game in the last two thirds of the season ahead of all the players it seems he is going to keep.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Poke was an odd signing wasn't he?

I remember him looking very dodgy in that friendly vs Aberdeen but he was never really given a chance again.

Even Gonzalez played more first team games than him!

Poke's biggest contribution appears to have been on the training ground and for giving Charlie the chance to do his "he's got one big ear" gag at the Div 1 parade last year. Second only to the Elliot Bennet "looks like he's had a Mars bar spat in his face" gag of course.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Poke was an odd signing wasn't he?

I remember him looking very dodgy in that friendly vs Aberdeen but he was never really given a chance again.

Even Gonzalez played more first team games than him!

Poke's biggest contribution appears to have been on the training ground and for giving Charlie the chance to do his "he's got one big ear" gag at the Div 1 parade last year. Second only to the Elliot Bennet "looks like he's had a Mars bar spat in his face" gag of course.

He had a bit of shocker against Northampton in the League Cup as well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We need a "squad " of at least 30 players.

What a complete shambles that would be. The last thing you want is a massive squad like that, you have players out in the background not playing and not having a chance to. We should be looking for a first team squad of 23 ideally, and then there is the loan market and the development squad if required.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
What a complete shambles that would be. The last thing you want is a massive squad like that, you have players out in the background not playing and not having a chance to. We should be looking for a first team squad of 23 ideally, and then there is the loan market and the development squad if required.

.....But how do you remove players that are on contract,other than paying them up ? I agree 23 is about right ,but in fact never achieved.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
.....But how do you remove players that are on contract,other than paying them up ? I agree 23 is about right ,but in fact never achieved.

Thre are plenty of clubs in the Championship and in League 1 who will be interested in the players we might be willing to move along. If we start september with players like Dicker, Ankergren, Brezovan, Calderon, Harley and Vincelot (as random examples picked for no obvious reason) I will be more than happy. I like all the players we have at the club at the moment, I wasn't fond of Gonzalez and he's gone. So, I'm happy.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Because they are good players and clubs see they have a year left on their contract and think - he'll do for me, and it won't cost too much.

I hope they pitch it better than that to the players! :lolol:

"So, Ryan, I was looking through Brighton's squad and saw you had a year left. I thought, cor blimey, he'd do a job and he won't cost us too much either. Result".

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Really don't get this about Navarro. He started just about every game in the last third of the season ahead of Sparrow, JFC, Noone to name three? If Gus's thinks he's better than those 3 - can't understand why he isn't getting another contract

It's the cheaper option, those other players have contracts that we don't want to pay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here