JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I watched this game yesterday. Gilmour was Gilmour, doing Gilmour things.

That is - he didn't win the ball much if at all, didn't give the ball away much, completed lots of simple passes, didn't play many difficult passes, and had one very poor shot at (nowhere near) the goal.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I watched this game yesterday. Gilmour was Gilmour, doing Gilmour things.

That is - he didn't win the ball much if at all, didn't give the ball away much, completed lots of simple passes, didn't play many difficult passes, and had one very poor shot at (nowhere near) the goal.
Thanks. Just this morning, I was wondering how Wee BIlly was getting on.

Is he also enthusiastically taking part in Tommaso Starace's Tombola dello Spogliatoio?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder why Fabian Hurzeler was happy to let Billy Gilmour go?

The realisation he was never going to fulfil his dreams as a player after failing to make the breakthrough at Hoffenheim or 1860 Munich after leaving Bayern hit Hürzeler hard. “I couldn’t defend my own box and I couldn’t score. So I was really honest to myself at this time..."​

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

The realisation he was never going to fulfil his dreams as a player after failing to make the breakthrough at Hoffenheim or 1860 Munich after leaving Bayern hit Hürzeler hard. “I couldn’t defend my own box and I couldn’t score. So I was really honest to myself at this time..."​
Harsh but fair. Gilmour was/is excellent at what goes on either side of these two things though. My view is that you need more than being excellent at one thing to excel at an elite level.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Harsh but fair. Gilmour was/is excellent at what goes on either side of these two things though. My view is that you need more than being excellent at one thing to excel at an elite level.
Yeh agree with that. I can see how appreciation of what Billy brings can be a slow burning thing to come.

I can also see how there would be some clubs and some tactics which wouldn't suit what he does at all.

But Billy did a very good job for us. In particular I thought he played well in those Europa group games. For a side who are seeking to exert control of matches with possession he's a great midfield option

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Love that second photo as Welbeck scores, the opposition playing statues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here