Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minute's applause for Mandela ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There was no need for it. Joined in anyway, since that's the decision that was made.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well it happened ( for 30 seconds at the most ) and no one's human rights were violated.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
spot on. this has nothing to do with it being about mandela, its about people enforcing these things or at least making the a fait accompli. people who say, oh well you dont have to join in, fail to realise that thats the next stage. when you do. passive agressively making these things a done deal, is something that makes me uncomfortable.

Fact is, your complaint is about what you imagine 'the next stage' is, rather than dealing with the actual reality of what actually happened, which was that people were given an opportunity to show appreciation together for someone who has inspired many people and who did great work for humanity. Looking back at today's pre-match, the applause was genuine and the appreciation of Mandela was strongly felt.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fact is, your complaint is about what you imagine 'the next stage' is, rather than dealing with the actual reality of what actually happened, which was that people were given an opportunity to show appreciation together for someone who has inspired many people and who did great work for humanity. Looking back at today's pre-match, the applause was genuine and the appreciation of Mandela was strongly felt.

The fact of what actually happened was that a decision was made for large numbers of people on their behalf without any consultation or vote and as a result of that decision to not take part would require standing out from the crowd and possibly explaining yourself. Yet you've only gone there to watch a football match, not express a political/personal view. That is undemocratic and as such very unsettling in my view. I feel the same about pretty much all minutes silence/applause. As I said earlier, I'd also do away with Rememberance Sunday observances at football matches for the same reason.

Go to the appropriate public ceremonies/services if you want to publicly express your feelings. Far more meaningful.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

It wasn't warmly felt all around, there were a few who flatly refused around me.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
I stood arms folded. He did nothing for our club as far as I can remember was a terrorist. ****ing joke. I was not alone in not clapping.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I stood arms folded. He did nothing for our club as far as I can remember was a terrorist. ****ing joke. I was not alone in not clapping.

Well done to you. You don't need to justify yourself. It was an opportunity to have a minute's applause. Whether people choose to take it is purely up to them and their personal views.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seems to me the trend towards a happy-clappy minute's applause is a step too far. At least with a minute's silence you can just stand there, outwardly neither agreeing nor disagreeing with it, while inwardly thinking MEH :shrug:

For what it's worth, the first ever minute's applause I can recall was at Withdean for Alan fkcing Ball of all people.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Saw a number clapping. Political correctness gone mad.

Why do the football league think they can decide how people feel about the death of someone.

They were nothing to Brighton or Sussex or even England.

That said I clapped lightly as it was the right thing to do. But I'd have rather not been told to.

Jan 30, 2008
saw a number clapping. Political correctness gone mad.

Why do the football league think they can decide how people feel about the death of someone.

They were nothing to brighton or sussex or even england.

That said i clapped lightly as it was the right thing to do. But i'd have rather not been told to.
mate you're not a school
regards
DR

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

That said I clapped lightly as it was the right thing to do. But I'd have rather not been told to.

By the 'right thing to do' do you mean the 'expected thing to do'? If they told you to do it, and you did it, then maybe take a close look at yourself and analyse why you joined in. OK, we're all susceptible to peer pressure, but at some point you have to stop, do a double-take and come to the conclusion that what you are being asked to do is bollocks, pure and simple.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A great show of appreciation for a wonderful man. I understand why some do not see the need to do it before a match but there are not many more deserving of such a tribute.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

What do as you're told? You didn't have to do it if you didn't want to.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What a shocking state of affairs that some people seriously think I can't be arsed to give a minute of my time as " he had nothing to do with football ", " he was not from sussex " " he did not support BHAFC " balls to it. Quite incredible really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here