Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Joke

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
MYOB said:
I presume you end up with ASPX output? Meaning you're locked-in to running on IIS6.0?

Even ColdFusion isn't that bad, vendor lock-in wise. Hell, theres even an Apache/UNIX version of the FrontPage Extensions...

Locked in the respect that, that's what my company uses.

It's called a job. I could of course show them "the error of their ways" and they'd show me the door.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
clapham_gull said:
A little bit of honest advice for you, irrespective of how clever you are, the quickest way out of the door is to piss people off.

However good you are at your respective career, they are always people better at stabbing people in the back.

Try to show other people a little bit more respect, and you'll succeed.

:lolol:

Oh, I know all that.

People on here don't realise that I'm very, very weird.... arrogance isn't something I nessacerily have off NSC...

At the moment, I'll relatively technomadic in where I work anyway, considering what I've been doing recently is getting peoples servers off Windows and onto UNIX when they've become security paranoid. In and out in three weeks of a few hours a week, usually.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beach Hut said:
I'll never be a millionaire as I do NSC :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well on the brighter side neither will Mrhairy, Buzza, Ernest, Biscuit, Roz, Lord Bracknell, Yorkie etc...................

I'll be a Thousandairre one day Beachy!:wave:

Can't believe this thread has attracted so many posts!

Hairy, No more jokes! :p

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Buzza said:
I'll be a Thousandairre one day Beachy!:wave:

Can't believe this thread has attracted so many posts!

Hairy, No more jokes! :p

Bollox to all :lolol:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
It was just a joke. I'm sorry for wasting everybodys time.:nono:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Surely a candidate for NSC gold?!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
MYOB said:
Ah, but intrepreted languages do not scripts make

Java isn't a scripting language. A better example again is Python - its interpreted line-by-line, but its not a scripting language.

Morning all.

Java is not interpreted arsehat - its compiled to byte code. As well you know. Python is a scripting lanuguage.

That is all.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
MYOB said:
I think my girlfriend would disagree with that...

Which programme did you use to make her? I hope it wasn't linex DP336210...

MrHairy, your joke was terrible but the Frankenstienian monster that you've created with this thread is fantastic!:clap2:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
:nono:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What a great thread! Can I just say I've been using email since 1987? I started with a product called 'Co-ordinator'. The problem was I had very few people to talk to! Ah those were the days! I still remember the joys of getting to grips with TCP/IP and X25 for the first time, it's like young love, you never forget it.

PS - There bare minimum for being an IT geek is the ability to program in C. (ANSI C or C++) Ideally you should also be familiar with Assembler, certainly enough to be able to write your own device drivers. Any twat can use HTML especially with all these authoring products around.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh, and here's two more Microsoft jokes for you:

Q - How many Microsoft technicians does it take to change a lightbulb?
A - None Darkness [TM] is the new industry standard.

Q - How many Microsoft technicians get you get to help you change a light bulb?
A - None. "It must be the way you've installed it, the lightbulb in our office is working perfectly. Try switching it off and on."

In response to the early discussion when I joined Microsoft (I guess you could say as the office boy) in 1996 I never had email that allowed me to communicate outside of Microsoft (all email was internal to the organisation and in use for some time). If we needed to send emails we would have to use a shared team compuserve account :lolol:

In 1997 we got internet connectivity which is pretty amazing given that by this time we were gaining significant market browser share with IE3.0. Later that year we released IE4 which gave us a product that really competed in the market (given most people are always advocate's of a browser and reluctant to change this was a huge switch).

As a response to the later geeky stuff I mostly develop code in C++ and C#. I alse WinForms and WebForms on varying applications. I like the Microsoft ecosystem and I'm really pleased to have wrapped my career around it. Whilst I missed out on being a Microsoft millionaire I have enough cash to get me to Albion games (isn't this the point of this board?) and I enjoy my job (another thing important to me given the amount of time I spend at work).

People can love or hate Microsoft and our products but I'm really proud to have worked for such a great company and met so many really smart people (both inside and outside of Microsoft). You could say I'm really happy to be the Microsoft office boy....never was that keen on tomatoes. :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
adrian29uk said:
Anyone clever enough to be doing c++?

I got a B+ in French once. That's much cleverer than C++ surely?

AND French is a real language. None of this unscripted Javanese HTLMLTHMTMHTL nonsense.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
And another thing. You missed the fatal flaw in the original story. There's no way the man would have been able to build a business empire like that so quickly based simply around tomatoes. There wouldn't have been enough demand, and he should have diversified into other fruit and veg - aubergines at the very least.

I'm sorry - it just doesn't work for me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Maybe he was in an area with a surplus of tomatoes, and sold in a neighbouring italian area, they're always in need of tomatoes. Or maybe he generated demand either with good marketing, or by simply existing - how often do you make a purchase simply on the basis that the product is available and had no prior requirement?

Sadly the story doesnt expand upon these important issues.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In fairness ABS I wasn't REALLY having a go at Microsoft, in the old pre-Windows days those two 'lightbulb' jokes would have been directed at IBM (anybody remember them?)

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought this was going to be about trying to recover a sql server...no that is a f*****g joke!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here