Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] John Cleese Blacklists Himself From Cambridge University Event

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I love Andrew Graham-Dixon. The Art of [Country] series were all superb.

Plus all his Caravaggio obsessed TV stuff is great.

Cleese hasn't been funny in well over 30 years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This is all a bit ridiculous now, both sides of the argument trying to out do themselves.

I see Oxford is in trouble for accepting money from the Mosley foundation now as well

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Scratch a tiny fragment below the surface and Obridge is/are, for better or worse, most definitely not “woke”.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This is all a bit ridiculous now, both sides of the argument trying to out do themselves.

I see Oxford is in trouble for accepting money from the Mosley foundation now as well
I don't see why they should be. They agreed not to use the Mosley name.

All this stuff about Rhodes, Gladstone and the rest being unpopular with modern day students has only ever been a "name" thing. They profess themselves appalled that Cecil Rhodes' money was used for education, including specifically education of foreigners via the Rhodes scholarships, but all their hand-wringing has been about his name and image. Rhodes statue? Appalling, tear it down. Rhodes' name? Appalling, obliterate it from history. Rhodes' money? Lovely stuff, we want lots of it.

It's just the same with Mosley. They don't care at all about where his money came from and what Mosley did as a person, so long as the Oxford donation is safe.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

All this stuff about Rhodes, Gladstone and the rest being unpopular with modern day students has only ever been a "name" thing. They profess themselves appalled that Cecil Rhodes' money was used for education, including specifically education of foreigners via the Rhodes scholarships, but all their hand-wringing has been about his name and image. Rhodes statue? Appalling, tear it down. Rhodes' name? Appalling, obliterate it from history. Rhodes' money? Lovely stuff, we want lots of it.

It's just the same with Mosley. They don't care at all about where his money came from and what Mosley did as a person, so long as the Oxford donation is safe.

I can’t recall who said it, but it was pretty accurate

Would the people complaining rather they kept the money and spent it themselves, they would complain about that as well.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Cecil Rhodes whilst no doubt a gargantuan pervert was a visionary of his age with a drive that was/is probably unrivalled in this day and age , what a time to be alive , he turned Southern Africa into something that was unrivalled in it's time , a legacy of scholarships with universities , art galleries , thousands of miles of railway lines , cricket pitches and stuffy colonial establishments that still remain .....oh yes the cancel culture will say it should never have happened but it did ....if it didn't the Shona , Zulu, Ndebele, Matabele would have cut each other up and some other European entity would have waltzed on in ....so don't feel bad about it , it isn't your fault.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I can’t recall who said it, but it was pretty accurate

Would the people complaining rather they kept the money and spent it themselves, they would complain about that as well.
I personally don't have an objection to the university taking Mosley's money. He claims to have repented his earlier views; who knows, he may be telling the truth. As you say, the money is there and is going to be spent one way or another.

The reason for the outcry is the hypocrisy of having nothing to do with Rhodes because of his views, while ignoring Mosley's past or present views and cosying up to him because of his money. If they were genuinely opposed to people whose views were unacceptable in the present day, they would take this chance ot prove it by rejecting Mosley's money. But they aren't; they will take money from anyone, and all their talk of unacceptable views is just that - talk. They only say it because it's fashionable and doesn't cost them anything.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I (re)watched (some of) Fawlty Towers a few months back. It hasn't aged well. That happens with comedy. We'd also watched Life of Brian beforehand which has still got it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m present,y banned from two broadcasters. They are probably doing the country a service though for helping reduce Dullardness.

To be fair, we did tell you that reprising that old Python sketch as "The Ministry of Funny W@nks" might not go down well - especially as they'd booked you to talk about financial ethics in sport.

Mind you, that's Songs of Praise for you, I suppose. :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I spoke to an Irish undergraduate yesterday who has never heard of Thin Lizzy. I can't see her getting agitated about Rhodes.

There are some posters on this thread who are invoking imaginary snow flakes to justify their own reactionary viewpoint. Why are they taking so much note of what a handfull of activists have got to say (if there is a handfull of activists gobbing off - I don't bother with activists myself)? I see elsewhere that Das Reich thinks they have won. What a big baby! Some people seem to be no-platforming their own brains in the search for something to get all bro-flakey about.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I (re)watched (some of) Fawlty Towers a few months back. It hasn't aged well. That happens with comedy. We'd also watched Life of Brian beforehand which has still got it.

I completely agree with this. I can happily watch Python, but Fawlty Towers isn't funny any more in my opinion and I used to love watching it. Cleese was on with Stephen Colbert a while ago and he didn't seem to want to be there, didn't say anything funny and just seemed bored by still being John Cleese the character, rather than being able to enjoy his life as himself.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I completely agree with this. I can happily watch Python, but Fawlty Towers isn't funny any more in my opinion and I used to love watching it. Cleese was on with Stephen Colbert a while ago and he didn't seem to want to be there, didn't say anything funny and just seemed bored by still being John Cleese the character, rather than being able to enjoy his life as himself.

I also loved FT in the past, and shared this enthusiasm with our son, and just felt a bit silly to do so once we'd collectively delved into FT. Cleese is anti-comedic now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m not really sure if that many people are going to be interested in what an 82 year old white millionaire has to say about woke culture but you never know, he may be insightful. I shall not pass judgment just yet.

NB- I’m not particularly interested in what anyone has to say about Woke culture. I find the whole label divisive and tedious.

Agreed. He does actually have a point, but he had to spoil it with a tedious dig at 'woke' culture. Still, it's the funniest thing he's done for decades.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No idea what that even means :shrug:

Tho endgame is students get to cancel any form of genuine debate and just get to listen to their own personal echo chamber

Good luck with that when they finally take a walk in the real world :thumbsup:

Disappointing. Where is the usual THPP cynicism? Oxbridge debating societies are an anachronism and may have been a means to influence young minds back in the 1950s. Today when there is almost limitless access to what the rich and the famous say and think, they are irrelevant surely.

If you have a bunch of loons looking for some legitimacy, meeting up at a "prestigious" university adds a certain respectability to your fringe views. It is hardly surprising that egocentric student leaders (can there be any other type) sometimes choose to push back on this. No one fails to have a voice as a result of this process, despite all the faux anger and glee on display. Some of the stupid old duffers getting worked up by this, should be forced to attend a few of these events as guests, I can guarantee they would swiftly be back in front of bargain hunt and that would be the last we ever heard of it.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No idea what that even means :shrug:

Tho endgame is students get to cancel any form of genuine debate and just get to listen to their own personal echo chamber

Good luck with that when they finally take a walk in the real world :thumbsup:

The good old student life vs real world dichotomy. Showing your age JC (sorry TH)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here