Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] John Cleese Blacklists Himself From Cambridge University Event

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we disagree on the type of people that are looking to be outraged

Well, we can certainly agree that you are top banana when it comes to stereotyping! "I think we can disagree on the type..." - nice huff BTW.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nobody is outraged on this thread.

A few people are peculiarly gleeful, however. ???

I am assuming that the offence caused by Graham-Dixon, for which he has apologised, was over-reacted to by the students? Not particularly bothered. Students can be oddly precious on occasion. But it's their gig.

Not particularly bothered that Cleese has decided to do an impression of Clarkson either. I saw it coming. 'Woke'....I ask you?

My guess is he's too lazy to rock up to do this gig and has pulled out to save the effort, with a handy comedy excuse. Come on, we've all done it :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, we can certainly agree that you are top banana when it comes to stereotyping! "I think we can disagree on the type..." - nice huff BTW.

I really don't think [MENTION=3166]keaton[/MENTION] has a huff. I do think you're a bit giddy with glee though ???

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You do come across as an awfully annoyed person most of the time though.

Me? Not at all. You are comfusing me with someone who thinks they ought to be outraged - or maybe thinks I ought to be outraged. I'm (regretfully) trying to converse with one at the moment - awfuly confusing.

OK, I think John Cleese did great. Now, please tell me what I'm annoyed about, or what you think I should be annoyed about. Happy to oblige those with a need ...................

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m not really sure if that many people are going to be interested in what an 82 year old white millionaire has to say about woke culture but you never know, he may be insightful. I shall not pass judgment just yet.

NB- I’m not particularly interested in what anyone has to say about Woke culture. I find the whole label divisive and tedious.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Me? Not at all. You are comfusing me with someone who thinks they ought to be outraged - or maybe thinks I ought to be outraged. I'm (regretfully) trying to converse with one at the moment - awfuly confusing.

OK, I think John Cleese did great. Now, please tell me what I'm annoyed about, or what you think I should be annoyed about. Happy to oblige those with a need ...................

:thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No probs. If I've accidentally incited one or two to get a bit outraged, my job here is done ............................
:)

You haven't, though :shrug:

The OP was sort of an invitation but nobody has bitten. You are doing an impression of the away end who think their team have just scored up the other end, but the ball went into the side netting:lolol:

Never mind. Like Cleese, it doesn't matter.

(I loved Fawlty Towers but I had to switch off the German episode when I rewatched a few years ago. I'd not noticed before that one of the Germans was crying at the end. Some time ago I had a German girlfriend and we decided to watch the Tarantino WW2 film. She got so distressed I had to take the DVD out. Our cosy little world of the 50s, 60s and 70s has gone, mate. Even if we don't always realise).

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m not really sure if that many people are going to be interested in what an 82 year old white millionaire has to say about woke culture but you never know, he may be insightful. I shall not pass judgment just yet.

NB- I’m not particularly interested in what anyone has to say about Woke culture. I find the whole label divisive and tedious.

What if it is rephrased Mary Whitehouse culture?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You haven't, thought :shrug:

The OP was sort of an invitation but nobody has bitten. You are doing an impression of the away end who think their team have just scored up the other end, but the ball went into the side netting:lolol:

(I loved Fawlty Towers but I had to switch off the German episode when I rewatched a few years ago. I'd not noticed before that one of the Germans was crying at the end. Some time ago I had a German girlfriend and we decided to watch the Tarantino WW2 film. She got so distressed I had to take the DVD out. Our cosy little world of the 50s, 60s and 70s has gone, mate. Even if we don't always realise).

I like the whole of Fawlty Towers…and I’m happy to rewatch it again in its original form and will probably laugh or chuckle at the same bits I did originally :shrug:

Ps I might keep at eye out for the bit I seem to have missed first ten times round

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You haven't, thought :shrug:

I have the same problem with that episode. I don't think it should be banned, but it shouldn't be defended on the basis of comedy alone. It cuts much deeper that that.

It is clearly a satire on British xenophobia, racism and our obsession with World War II. That's quite something for the 1970s, but it does little to challenge those views really.

My major problem (and I have the same problem with Alf Garnett) is the shows were filmed in-front of a live studio audience whose response is an integral part of the programme.

The vast majority of the audiences at that time were laughing at the racism, not laughing about the racism.

On that basis I think it's incredibly pompous to defend a programme on what the writer intended only.

I have a general problem with artists who defend their work on that basis anyway. If your very being is about provoking a response, don't start bleating when you lose control of it.

Is the episode "racist" or "anti racist" ? I think it's both depending on how you choose to read it.

Last edited:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You haven't, though :shrug:

Really? Ah well, perceptions differ. I'm happy.

Never mind, I never much liked Fawlty Towers anyway - rarely found it funny. And I'm not annoyed about that either! :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have the same problem with that episode. I don't think it should be banned, but it shouldn't be defended on the basis of comedy alone. It cuts much deeper that that.

It is clearly a satire on British xenophobia, racism and our obsession with World War II. That's quite something for the 1970s, but it does little to challenge those views really.

My major problem (and I have the same problem with Alf Garnett) is the shows were filmed in-front of a live studio audience whose response is an integral part of the programme.

The vast majority of the audiences at that time were laughing at the racism, not laughing about the racism.

On that basis I think it's incredibly pompous to defend a programme on what the writer intended only.

I have a general problem with artists who defend their work on that basis anyway. If your very being is about provoking a response, don't start bleating when you lose control of it.

Is the episode "racist" or "anti racist" ? I think it's both simultaneously defending on how you choose to read it.

An elegant post. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never mind, I never much liked Fawlty Towers anyway - rarely found it funny. And I'm not annoyed about that either! :lolol:

Really? Much of it was, to me, exquisite. I hadn't realised how much you and I are chalk and cheese. :(

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What if it is rephrased Mary Whitehouse culture?

That un-shagable old haglet was a one-woman crusade against social liberalism. The opposite of woke and not much in common with so called "cancel culture".

She was an art teacher who found Jesus so my guess is she used to be bit of a slapper who decided it was probably time to reserve a ticket to Heaven. But I have little recollection of her tbh.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
My only take on John Cleese is that in my youth he was an absolute comedy hero. After Fawlty, he became a boring, unfunny self important old git - as evidenced by his return in that recent TV sitcom he "starred" in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here