If people like the beach so much

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From the BBC

Brighton beach left with 23 tonnes of rubbish

Beach goers have been urged to take their rubbish home with them after 23 tonnes had to be collected off Brighton beach over the weekend.

Brighton and Hove City Council said despite installing 60 extra litter bins the beachfront was left covered with rubbish.

It has also employed 20 extra seasonal staff to cope with the increase in litter.

Councillor Ollie Sykes said the the level of litter was "astonishing".

"Last weekend was wonderful that so many people come, but very depressing that the beaches looked so awful at the end of it," he said.

"The beaches looked like landfill sites. They [the beach goers] wouldn't do this to their own streets and their own back gardens."

He said the 23 tonnes figure only included litter left on the beach and not rubbish that had been placed in the bins.

"If someone leaves litter on the beach then other people do as well," he added.

I don't believe them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How many people on that beach over the two days? 250k?

Each and every person on that beach left behind 100g of LITTER?

Can't see it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could be argued it provides the local community with employment cleaning up after the beach-users tho?

I don't have an issue with that - I'd just prefer that they were funded by fines levied on the miscreants, rather than by your council taxes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Popped down the beach the last 2 evenings and same as yourself I can't believe the state it is in.

But instead of moaning I'll pick some up and pop it in/outside of the bin.

The only hope is someone will notice and it may jog their conscience.

Sadly you may as well sit in a chair at the waters edge and tell the tide to go out!

There is a similar problem in Malta,although some people bring a broom to the beach area to clean before and after a picnic or BBQ, many others bring their domestic rubbish and dump it.

I have only recently stopped smoking (3 weeks) but we always took an ashtray to the beach and used it. We emptied it into a bin before we left. Got some very strange looks as most smokers here just throw the ends on the ground or bury it in the sand (which is horrible when you uncover them with your feet!)

Went to Camber Sands on Sunday and most of the litter seemed to be either in or piled up next to the bins. There were a few barbecues causing a smell but due to the wind direction one of them seemed to be trapped in a cloud of it's own making which made me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here