Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If people like the beach so much

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What a load of bollocks, ill bet that 90% of the litter comes from locals that are mostly under 30.

Indeed. All very well blaming outsiders.

I work in Preston Park and I passed a BBQ on my way to lock up at about 2000 on Wednesday night. They were clearly local boys. Three of them had Brighton shirts on. I returned and their litter was all over the place.

Brightonians are just as bad as those pesky outsiders.

A lot of ***** around, wherever they hail from.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I really hate people who drop litter. The other day, car in front of me starting throwing rubbish out of their window. Take away bag and cups. Wish the Police had caught up with them. I would have pulled the shits over, got them to park up and would have walked them back down the road to clear it all up.

Throwing stuff out of a car window surely qualifies as anti-social driving. Take a note of the vehicle index next time.

Operation Crackdown

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
23 tonnes of litter left on the beach over the weekend!!

Scum. Whether they be residents or visitors.

Saw that in The Argus today, literally sickening. I spent all day Saturday down the beach enjoying the sun and drinking away. At the end we picked up all our empty cans/bottles, stuck them in a bag and chucked them in the bins on the seafront.

It really isn't that hard and completely disrespectful.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fair point. The item on South Today or whatever it is called did not make it clear.

The Argus, despite contradicting itself, suggest litter collected as opposed to all of it being strewn across the beach.

Horrendous either way.

Most of the rubbish can be recycled, but unsure as to whether they sort through all of it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rubbish weighing as much as three double decker buses was left strewn across Brighton beach on the messiest weekend of the year.

Brighton and Hove City Council said staff removed more than 23 tonnes of rubbish from the seafront over the weekend.

One of the council’s army of workers cleaning up the beach yesterday morning said the weekend had been “mayhem”.

Residents, traders and visitors described mountains of rubbish, overflowing bins and piles of bottles at Brighton and Hove’s most important sites as they backed The Argus’s Take It Home campaign to try to keep the city free from litter.

Despite dozens of extra litter bins across the seafront and city centre the Pavilion Gardens were strewn with rubbish from overflowing bins on Saturday evening. Even with 60 extra litter bins on the beach all were overflowing as beach users left piles of waste behind.

After hours of work the beach was clean again by 9am yesterday morning, but the messiest weekend so far this year left traders fearing visitors will be put off by the rubbish and asking how the city will cope with two more busy weekends with next week’s bank holiday weekend followed by Pride the week after.

Traders praised the efforts of the council’s clean-up teams but called for bans on glass bottles, bins to be emptied more frequently and more consideration from beach users.

Dave Hall, owner of Waters Edge café, said: “When I open up in the morning the whole place is full of glass. In my opinion all drinks should be sold in plastic bottles.

“There would still be plastic rubbish but at least people wouldn’t get hurt. We always have people asking for plasters because they have stepped on broken glass.

“A number of people and holiday makers come down on a nice weekend, but the rubbish is awful and it must put people off.”

Mark Gillespie, owner of the Lodestar café, said: “There are two problems, rubbish on the beach from the day and then the rubbish from the clubs at night.

“On Sunday morning we could barely get in because of how much was building up.

“We’re not allowed to serve anything in glass, but the clubs can.

“Some of the bars give out plastic cups then sell glass wine bottles. It makes no sense but the council says it’s almost impossible to enforce.”

Arash Bakhshae, a personal trainer at the Riptide gym, said: “On Saturday morning it was awful. I could barely get in because of all the rubbish. The bins were all overflowing.

“People are just disrespectful and rude. I’ve heard people saying it’s all right because there are people paid to pick it up.

“We have our own bin but even that had rubbish piled up on top of it.

Dog walker Mat Burton, of St George’s Road, walks along the beach most mornings.

He said: “The council’s team are really good at clearing up, but it doesn’t make it right that people leave all their rubbish in the first place.”

Ruth Lewis, of Daniel Lewis Home and Garden, said: “Pride weekend will be interesting. I hope they have extra people on to deal with it.

“If I had young children I would be worried. I came in one morning to find glass smashed all over the front.”

A spokeswoman for Brighton and Hove City Council said: “Over 23 tonnes of rubbish was collected from the beach this weekend. This is the most we have collected this year. There were 60 extra litter bins placed along the seafront and Hove lawns area and we placed 15 additional 3,200 litre street bins and eight more 1,100 litre bins around the city centre and sea front area.

“We will be having extra provisions for the bank holiday weekend and Pride. We urge people to dispose of their litter responsibly either by putting it in one of the litter or recycling bins, or by taking it home with them.”

Hove MP Mike Weatherley said he had been inundated with calls about the mess, including one constituent who described the beach on Sunday morning as “more akin to a landfill site”.

Mr Weatherley added: “If everyone just took care of the rubbish that they created then it would really help and save a lot of taxpayers’ money having to be spent on clearing it all up.”

Anyone leaving their crap lying on the beach needs a smack. However, if the bins are all overflowing what is the answer? The city has to throw (even) more resource at it, constantly empty those bins. If there is nowhere for people to put their rubbish, it will end up on the floor. Suugesting they 'take it home with them' is great in principle, but it is NEVER going to happen.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
f*** me sideways..

hate the mentality of some people. If i walked up to their house, sat in their garden, went through 20 fags, 4 pints, and a few grocery related items, and left it all on their lawn, they wouldn't be happy, yet they can do that in our own back yard and it's fine.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone leaving their crap lying on the beach needs a smack. However, if the bins are all overflowing what is the answer? The city has to throw (even) more resource at it, constantly empty those bins. If there is nowhere for people to put their rubbish, it will end up on the floor. Suugesting they 'take it home with them' is great in principle, but it is NEVER going to happen.

maybe think about them giant black wheelie bins or something.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
I think the council are too SOFT on this. Armed gangs of litter pickers should patrol the beach on hot days instigating a shoot on sight policy at anyone seen depositing or leaving waste on the beach.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Take your rubbish home

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think the council are too SOFT on this. Armed gangs of litter pickers should patrol the beach on hot days instigating a shoot on sight policy at anyone seen depositing or leaving waste on the beach.

It needs lots more bins - both around the beach itself, and up on the walkway. Lots more staff to constantly empty them - a full bin is worse than NO bin at all - people will pile stuff next to it, which will end up all over the beach. The council say they've employed 20 extra seasonal staff. Should make it 60 at the weekends, if that's what it takes.

Also - I presume that there is scope for on the spot fines for littering. Get more signs up, and get someone down there implementing it. The fines they dish out, can pay for the extra litter collectors.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I presume that there is scope for on the spot fines for littering. Get more signs up, and get someone down there implementing it. The fines they dish out, can pay for the extra litter collectors.

Disagree. UK residents live under constant threat of being fined within an inch of their lives for the most pathetic of reasons for just about anything they do. We used to laugh about Singapore for that, could even buy the teeshirt. OK, some trippers at the beach don't appear to give a shit, but that's just a continuation of their don't give a shit lifestyles. They almost certainly all put their feet up on the seats on public transport. Seems a bit harsh to fine them for this particular transgression on their day trip to the beach.
I blame the parents :shrug:

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Disagree. UK residents live under constant threat of being fined within an inch of their lives for the most pathetic of reasons for just about anything they do.

I don't think fining someone £20 for leaving a disposable barbecue, half a dozens cans and a few broken bottles on the beach, IS 'a pathetic reason' to be honest.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
23 tonnes of LITTER (as in DISCARDED rubbish), or 23 tonnes of rubbish altogether (including that put into and next to the bins)?

From the BBC

Brighton beach left with 23 tonnes of rubbish

Beach goers have been urged to take their rubbish home with them after 23 tonnes had to be collected off Brighton beach over the weekend.

Brighton and Hove City Council said despite installing 60 extra litter bins the beachfront was left covered with rubbish.

It has also employed 20 extra seasonal staff to cope with the increase in litter.

Councillor Ollie Sykes said the the level of litter was "astonishing".

"Last weekend was wonderful that so many people come, but very depressing that the beaches looked so awful at the end of it," he said.

"The beaches looked like landfill sites. They [the beach goers] wouldn't do this to their own streets and their own back gardens."

He said the 23 tonnes figure only included litter left on the beach and not rubbish that had been placed in the bins.

"If someone leaves litter on the beach then other people do as well," he added.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here