Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

Nov 27, 2009
Its all about the pubs, Hanover is a dump. I was born in Brighton lived there until 1998 and loved going for a few pints in Hanover, went to the area a couple of years back and it was a mess.

.....try opening the curtains mate, you live in Newhaven, the backside of Seaford!:facepalm:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Yes, larger than Portsmouth, Southampton

So few people realise this. But yet football pundits believe that Southampton is the footballing Mecca of the south, in reality they have just been punching above their weight for far too long.

Jan 30, 2008
You should have done your homework before moving back. Peacehaven and Newhaven have to be among the worse places in the county to live.
you sound more deluded with every post you make doug ,that has to be one of the most PATHETIC THINGS YOU'VE EVER POSTED :facepalm:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Hanover, full of students and trendy types PLUS ALL THE STREETS ARE RAMMED WITH PARKED CARS ....... LOVELY............. anyone drink in the Geese ???
regards
DR

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Tired of living in Brighton? You can't park outside your house, it's scruffy and full of pretentious ********s, it's got too many funny hat wearers and gayers?...

Move to Leigh on Sea...then you'll realise how great Brighton is.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Can't agree with anything you've said there, other than it's overpriced.
On the same thread we have people looking at Brighton as 'provincial' and 'quaint', yet others say it's overcrowded and moody.
I wouldn't say it's any of those things. But then I love it it here.

Think Brighton's crap? Try Blackpool. Seriously. Jesus Christ.
But you live in a nice part of Hove, not Lewes RD. Think he makes some fair points about that part of town.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
.....try opening the curtains mate, you live in Newhaven, the backside of Seaford!:facepalm:

I can see the downs from my windows(during the day) from my house on the outskirts of Newhaven.
The last time I went to Hanover all I could see was knackered push bikes chained to lamp posts, split open bin bags everywhere and a dumped mattress in the street.
Do you live in that area mate? Sorry if I am wrong and the students have now all gone and the council have jetwashed the area.

Thanks for reminding me where I live any way, and I thought we were in the backside of Peacehaven!!:facepalm:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Couldn't wait to leave Brighton, albeit only after a year. Definitely the worst place I've lived. But then I'm Canadian and use to certain things such as space, politeness, value for money, etc.

The year I spent living in Calgary was alright, but frankly it is a VERY dull city and a flippin' long way from anywhere interesting. Went to see the Calgary Stampeders play (American football) and that was sensationally dull. I lived away from Brighton for 10 years, and my decision to move back 18 years ago was the best I ever made. I love this city, and my teenage kids have had a fantastic time growing up here. Great seeing the Albion regularly in a great stadium, and tonight saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Dome, my favourite venue anywhere. Exiles come home...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I loved living in Brighton, but after being here for a few years I went back for family reasons.
Although I slotted back in ok, I realised just how crowded and busy it had become.
There were students on cycles everywhere, it was like Amsterdam.
It took ages to get into the A27 at the bottom of Bevendean Highway junction, cycles everywhere.
That and the feeling of abject desperation in the streets sealed it for me.
I will always fondly remember it as it was when I was 'doing the rounds' as it were.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Well you are right on one account, I don't much care for the City of Brighton, but I did not realize that it was a necessary precondition for supporting the Albion. I also realize that this might seem somewhat incongruous to you but unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I do not care. I'm more than happy supporting the Albion, who, from my perspective (and for the time being) are based at Falmer, a place that I have always viewed as distinct from Brighton and to a lesser extent, Hove, and somewhere in which I have spent a vast amount of time over the past seven years.

So you see my good (Canon)man, this quasi-paradox that we have here is not mutually exclusive as I believe that it is indeed possible to both support the Albion while not caring much for the city they are based in.

If you don't like the city why support the team? It's BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION. To be honest I'd rather you not support our team.
As far as I'm concerned you have insulted the good people of Brighton and Hove with your dislike of the city. Let me inform you my Maple Leaf friend, this city was bombed during the second world people were killed as were many other places in this country, maybe that is why I cherish this place so much and don't take kindly to people like you coming along from a place like Canada insulting us.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't miss it. But then I've never lived there.

Perhaps there should be a thread for people who think they might miss Brighton if they had ever lived there. My Sussex years were in Worthing, so I have never lived in Brighton either.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There were students on cycles everywhere, it was like Amsterdam.
It took ages to get into the A27 at the bottom of Bevendean Highway junction, cycles everywhere.

Careful mate, according to some on here nobody cycles in brighton and the cycle lanes are a waste of money :whistle:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think Brighton is so much cleaner than when I was a kid growing up there, looking back it did lose a bit of its sparkle but I loved it even then.

Perhaps property prices has prompted a gloss of paint to most buildings and private enterprise has overhauled the redundant seafront area, some seem intimidated by it, but even as a middle age man I enjoy the diversity that a Summers day offer's sipping a pint watching the world go by and there are some sights !!!

After a busy Summer's day it might take the council a day or two to play catch up with the cleaning stakes, but it gets there in the end.

Others can misinterpret the North Lanes area with the mish mash of tables and chairs and its slightly bizarre inhabitants, that isnt dirt or shabby you are seeing, its fun and quirkiness, which I love.

If you cannot enjoy Brighton then what chance have you got to be happy anywhere.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The year I spent living in Calgary was alright, but frankly it is a VERY dull city and a flippin' long way from anywhere interesting. Went to see the Calgary Stampeders play (American football) and that was sensationally dull. I lived away from Brighton for 10 years, and my decision to move back 18 years ago was the best I ever made. I love this city, and my teenage kids have had a fantastic time growing up here. Great seeing the Albion regularly in a great stadium, and tonight saw Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the Dome, my favourite venue anywhere. Exiles come home...

I think Brighton is so much cleaner than when I was a kid growing up there, looking back it did lose a bit of its sparkle but I loved it even then.

Perhaps property prices has prompted a gloss of paint to most buildings and private enterprise has overhauled the redundant seafront area, some seem intimidated by it, but even as a middle age man I enjoy the diversity that a Summers day offer's sipping a pint watching the world go by and there are some sights !!!

After a busy Summer's day it might take the council a day or two to play catch up with the cleaning stakes, but it gets there in the end.

Others can misinterpret the North Lanes area with the mish mash of tables and chairs and its slightly bizarre inhabitants, that isnt dirt or shabby you are seeing, its fun and quirkiness, which I love.

If you cannot enjoy Brighton then what chance have you got to be happy anywhere.

Some sanity!! :thumbsup:

Commander

Arrogant Prat
NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Art? The art scene in Brighton is utter pants. For a city so allegedly steeped in culture there is not even one decent art gallery.

I know nothing about art, nor have any interest in it. I assumed Brighton was an arty place.

Each to their own but I would be driven mad with boredom living in the countyside. There's nothing to do.

Lucky everyone thinks differently or the cities would be horrificly overcrowded! I think it partly depends on where you grew up. I grew up in the countryside, moved to Brighton when I was 18, London when 24 and am now ready to move back to the countryside again. Although I think when I say 'countryside' I mean something different this days, I couldn't live in the middle of nowhere with no transport links again, I'd go mental.

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
If you don't like the city why support the team? It's BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION. To be honest I'd rather you not support our team.
As far as I'm concerned you have insulted the good people of Brighton and Hove with your dislike of the city. Let me inform you my Maple Leaf friend, this city was bombed during the second world people were killed as were many other places in this country, maybe that is why I cherish this place so much and don't take kindly to people like you coming along from a place like Canada insulting us.

What an odd comment. ???

How many millions of people support Manchester United and have either, a. never been there, or b. have nothing good to say about it. My guess is that there are a great many that fall into either of these two categories. Plus, not that I need justify my decisions to someone on a message board, but having spent a number of years at Falmer, I was fortunate enough to get to know some of the players on a personal level. In fact it was Michel Kuipers that first convinced me to go watch the Albion at the Withdean in 2007. Fantastic fellow the FDM.

But thank you for helping to prove my point. While I do find the city rather scruffy and unkempt (I know that this is all relative), my biggest issue with living there had to do with this disturbing insular, parochial and sometimes xenophobic view that some "locals" had with people who weren't born and bred in a BN postcode. This was by far the strangest thing I encountered while living there and it is somewhat upsetting to see that it still continues to proliferate.

As for the last part, may I suggest that you take a little time out from your busy schedule and either read some history of the Second (and if possible First) World War. If that proves too onerous of a task, may I suggest taking a short trip to Newhaven. I know that it isn't quite "Brighton" but you may find some things of interest there.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
What an odd comment. ???

How many millions of people support Manchester United and have either, a. never been there, or b. have nothing good to say about it. My guess is that there are a great many that fall into either of these two categories. Plus, not that I need justify my decisions to someone on a message board, but having spent a number of years at Falmer, I was fortunate enough to get to know some of the players on a personal level. In fact it was Michel Kuipers that first convinced me to go watch the Albion at the Withdean in 2007. Fantastic fellow the FDM.

But thank you for helping to prove my point. While I do find the city rather scruffy and unkempt (I know that this is all relative), my biggest issue with living there had to do with this disturbing insular, parochial and sometimes xenophobic view that some "locals" had with people who weren't born and bred in a BN postcode. This was by far the strangest thing I encountered while living there and it is somewhat upsetting to see that it still continues to proliferate.

As for the last part, may I suggest that you take a little time out from your busy schedule and either read some history of the Second (and if possible First) World War. If that proves too onerous of a task, may I suggest taking a short trip to Newhaven. I know that it isn't quite "Brighton" but you may find some things of interest there.

I hear Quebec is very inclusive :rolleyes:

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
^ You are 100% right and you couldn't give me a house of gold to live there!

But I digress. I"ll refrain from posting anything else in this thread. It never was my intention to hijack it from the people who have moved away and miss living there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here