Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know nothing about art, nor have any interest in it. I assumed Brighton was an arty place.

Arty can mean a lot of things. But, in my opinion, there is not much being made or displayed in Brighton. Yes, there are some nice bits of graffiti, and yes in recent times they have had a couple of names fronting the arts festival. But if you want to look at the festival then the Manchester version is a lot more exciting and creative in my opinion. A few middle-class types opening their homes to show their paintings of the pier is not an art scene in my opinion.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Can't agree with anything you've said there, other than it's overpriced.
On the same thread we have people looking at Brighton as 'provincial' and 'quaint', yet others say it's overcrowded and moody.
I wouldn't say it's any of those things. But then I love it it here.

Think Brighton's crap? Try Blackpool. Seriously. Jesus Christ.

I wasn't asking you to agree - Brighton will always divide opinion, particularly with the hype that surrounds it as a place to live.

And Blackpool is not a good comparison to make. It's crap areas may be a little closer to the tourist trap, but they are no worse than Brighton's.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Arty can mean a lot of things. But, in my opinion, there is not much being made or displayed in Brighton. Yes, there are some nice bits of graffiti, and yes in recent times they have had a couple of names fronting the arts festival. But if you want to look at the festival then the Manchester version is a lot more exciting and creative in my opinion. A few middle-class types opening their homes to show their paintings of the pier is not an art scene in my opinion.

In my opinion, Manchesters art scene away from the Art Gallery really does fail. Apart from Northern quarter, you really don't see too many art shops, art graffit etc, the city has a much bigger interest in the business industry. I think the Arts festival in Brighton is a lot better than in Manchester. Art ultimately is just expression, there's far more of it in Brighton than most places in England. Fair enough Brighton could do more, but with events such as white nights and the Brighton festival, I believe it's got a decent passion for Art.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
For what it's worth, I miss Brighton too. Left 7 years ago. My wife and I regularly rue that decision and, whenever we come back, we feel slightly depressed that we ever left. We will return though and the return will be all the more sweet for our absence...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been speaking about my posts and the common view of two people (one who makes a living from selling his art) who both lived in Brighton until recently is the scene is "amateurish" and "provincial."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I was never very impressed with the art scene in Brighton. The Festival has been a very disappointing affair especially the last three years. I've seen some good exhibitions, some good theatre but for a town that proclaims it's art scene as being top notch, quality really is very sparce. So many times I've seen a flyer for an exhibition and when you get there it's 3 or 4 pictures above a shop in the lanes with a bunch of modern toss postcards and a grumpy student behind a desk eyeballing you, silently pleading with you to buy something. Problem is you can realistically not spend more than bout 9 minutes in there and you've seen it all, then you have to walk past the curator/artist/artists mate, raise your eyebrow, half smile "Thanks" and descend the staircase as your footprints echo down the steps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In my opinion, Manchesters art scene away from the Art Gallery really does fail. Apart from Northern quarter, you really don't see too many art shops, art graffit etc, the city has a much bigger interest in the business industry. I think the Arts festival in Brighton is a lot better than in Manchester. Art ultimately is just expression, there's far more of it in Brighton than most places in England. Fair enough Brighton could do more, but with events such as white nights and the Brighton festival, I believe it's got a decent passion for Art.

The passion is there but for me the execution is not. I also think it is dominated by middle-class types who like the idea of being artists ...and open their lovely homes and display awful art. I hear what your saying, and agree in part, but I really do think the Brighton scene is over played.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sometimes I would steel myself to visit some of Brightons amusing little galleries or Open Houses. I'd usually be on my second pint in The Victory by half one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was never very impressed with the art scene in Brighton. The Festival has been a very disappointing affair especially the last three years. I've seen some good exhibitions, some good theatre but for a town that proclaims it's art scene as being top notch, quality really is very sparce. So many times I've seen a flyer for an exhibition and when you get there it's 3 or 4 pictures above a shop in the lanes with a bunch of modern toss postcards and a grumpy student behind a desk eyeballing you, silently pleading with you to buy something. Problem is you can realistically not spend more than bout 9 minutes in there and you've seen it all, then you have to walk past the curator/artist/artists mate, raise your eyebrow, half smile "Thanks" and descend the staircase as your footprints echo down the steps.

Very true. And yet just along the coast there is the Towner and the De La Warr which both have excellent, exciting and well curated exhibitions.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
De la Warr is great, not been to Towner.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sometimes I would steel myself to visit some of Brightons amusing little galleries or Open Houses. I'd usually be on my second pint in The Victory by half one.

I actually investigated hosting an Open House. The title was "Quality, control and Brighton art." The deal was I would be in the programme as an open house showing the effect if quality control played a part in Open Houses.....but my house would remain firmly shut because I had nothing of crreative worth to show. My wife agreed with the concept but said I was being a prick and stopped me.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I actually investigated hosting an Open House. The title was "Quality, control and Brighton art." The deal was I would be in the programme as an open house showing the effect if quality control played a part in Open Houses.....but my house would remain firmly shut because I had nothing of crreative worth to show. My wife agreed with the concept but said I was being a prick and stopped me.

Hahaha! Brilliant. I had to attend my then girlfriend friend's open house plus the trail leading to it. It was awful. I hate to be the cliché miserable boyfriend being dragged around these things but the expression on my face could not be cheered after the 7th tour around someone's pokey front room displaying little things they'd made. Putting my hand in my pocket to purchase this friends efforts to show willing was the low point. Grrrr

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The passion is there but for me the execution is not. I also think it is dominated by middle-class types who like the idea of being artists ...and open their lovely homes and display awful art. I hear what your saying, and agree in part, but I really do think the Brighton scene is over played.

i always assumed the point of the open houses was so that people could show off the building work they'd had done. That's certainly why I go to most of them - to get DIY and interior decorating ideas.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i always assumed the point of the open houses was so that people could show off the building work they'd had done. That's certainly why I go to most of them - to get DIY and interior decorating ideas.

Ha! Don't forget their cupcake making skills. "£2.50?! How do you do it and make a profit love?"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ha! Don't forget their cupcake making skills. "£2.50?! How do you do it and make a profit love?"

Of course. The dreaded cup cake. This is the true pillar of the Brighton art scene.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You're probably right. In fact you are my muse as I have just had an idea for a piece of performance art at the next Brighton Festival. I will do a tour of family home Open Houses dressed as burglar ignoring all the paintings of the pier but visibly and ostentatiously casing the joint.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Quality can be dubious but I don't remember any pictures of the pier in the 15 open houses I went to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quality can be dubious but I don't remember any pictures of the pier in the 15 open houses I went to.

Brighton sun sets?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here