Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] I miss Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I missed it a bit when I first moved away, but not anymore, and I wouldn't move back. Brighton thinks it's so cool and cosmopolitan, but it's not really, it's just a few ageing hippies, gays and some art. And a load of chavs. Same as most other cities really. It's much dirtier than most other cities though.

Brighton's a far superior place to those Northern hell hole towns like Burnley and Bradford etc, but I don't think it's much better or worse than any other reasonable cities in the UK. And for a city, it is very small, you get bored going to the same places all the time very quickly. It's helped as a city because it is in Sussex, which is a great county, probably 5th or 6th nicest in the country.

Art? The art scene in Brighton is utter pants. For a city so allegedly steeped in culture there is not even one decent art gallery.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Art? The art scene in Brighton is utter pants. For a city so allegedly steeped in culture there.is not even one decent art gallery.

The art is every where in Brighton. Just take a walk down the lanes. The gallery are the streets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm about to do exactly the same - got married last year, kid on the way next year, moving out of London and back to Sussex. But not to Brighton, I can't see the point in moving from a world class city to a provincial one. Moving out of London means moving to the countryside for me. Not sure I'm actually ready for it though!

Each to their own but I would be driven mad with boredom living in the countyside. There's nothing to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The art is every where in Brighton. Just take a walk down the lanes. The gallery are the streets.

Is this seriously the best you can come up with? I just think art is a very over-played element of Brighton. What does exist is poor or dominated by middle-class Open House types.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Is this seriously the best you can come up with? .

Nope! you'd have to be blind to not see the art in Brighton.
art 1.jpgart 2.jpgart 3.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Live away longer then I lived there, I left when I was 20 and now 41. If I could persuade other half to move, I would be back like a shot.

Still bloody miss the place.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The graffiti in Brighton is great. And there are a few other people doing some good stuff. But what else is there? I stand by my assertion that the Brighton art-scene is pants.

PS I should have said 'generally poor' in post #84. My bad.

Mainstream maybe, plenty of good local artists, galleries etc. dotted about though in a variety of forms with various meetings going on and a vibrant design scene. On a larger scale the Kaarina Kaikkonen wrapping of the clock tower, and installation at the Fabrica Art Gallery were a joy I thought this summer, and the Fabrica Gallery has been attracting some major international artists including Anish Kapoor and Brian Eno amoung others.

We may not have a landmark Tate Modern, but you can stumble upon various artworks in Brighton just wondering around. I think you're being a little bit disingenuous to be honest.

IMG_0098.JPG

installation.jpg

940x284_anishKapoor-940x284.jpg

Bed&Breakfast_Tilburg_AnishKapoor_Skyview-BrightonFestival2009.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mainstream maybe, plenty of good local artists, galleries etc. dotted about though in a variety of forms with various meetings going on and a vibrant design scene. On a larger scale the Kaarina Kaikkonen wrapping of the clock tower, and installation at the Fabrica Art Gallery were a joy I thought this summer, and the Fabrica Gallery has been attracting some major international artists including Anish Kapoor and Brian Eno amoung others.

We may not have a landmark Tate Modern, but you can stumble upon various artworks in Brighton just wondering around. I think you're being a little bit disingenuous to be honest.

View attachment 47971

View attachment 47972

View attachment 47973

View attachment 47974

Fair play about Fabrica. I shamefully had forgotten about it. I have been there a few times to see stuff and the Eno piece was particularly good. There was also a gallery on Queens Rd which housed some interesting stuff. And there was a Peter Blake exhibition.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
This is what struck me as well as friends and family that came to visit. It was surprising how dirty and scruffy it was.

Why visit Brighton with friends and family? you could have told them what a rubbish place it is without visiting. Why are you on this board? You obviously don't like anything to do with Brighton, my advice is to stay the other side of the city limits and go somewhere else.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I grew up in Brighton and lived there until about 8 years ago. I can honestly say that if I didn't work in Brighton now, I would never come back.

Brighton is nothing like it was growing up, and has completely changed identity, to being some student-focused, self-indulgent, pretentious hole full of squat looking buildings. Seriously, when you drive along Lewes Road, you really do wonder what the fuss is all about because it just looks shabby and run down. And anywhere that in Brighton that doesn't look like that is ridiculously over-priced.

There's also way too many people in Brighton these days. It's crowded, impersonal and just moody. I'm glad to be out, and I can honestly say that if I didn't ever come to Brighton again, I wouldn't miss it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Crikey you moved to Newhaven so you could park outside your house - just wow.

Wow Marshy!! you saw a hidden message that myself and everyone else missed that I said that was the reason I moved out of Brighton.
Trying to park is just one of the things I don't miss about living in central Brighton.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I missed it a bit when I first moved away, but not anymore, and I wouldn't move back. Brighton thinks it's so cool and cosmopolitan, but it's not really, it's just a few ageing hippies, gays and some art. And a load of chavs. Same as most other cities really. It's much dirtier than most other cities though.

Brighton's a far superior place to those Northern hell hole towns like Burnley and Bradford etc, but I don't think it's much better or worse than any other reasonable cities in the UK. And for a city, it is very small, you get bored going to the same places all the time very quickly. It's helped as a city because it is in Sussex, which is a great county, probably 5th or 6th nicest in the country.

Not so small. It is, Brighton and Hove, largest city in southern England after London and Bristol. Yes, larger than Portsmouth, Southampton and Plymouth.

Also the conurbation from Newhaven to Littlehampton is 10th largest in UK.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brighton is nothing like it was growing up, and has completely changed identity, to being some student-focused, self-indulgent, pretentious hole full of squat looking buildings. Seriously, when you drive along Lewes Road, you really do wonder what the fuss is all about because it just looks shabby and run down. And anywhere that in Brighton that doesn't look like that is ridiculously over-priced.

There's also way too many people in Brighton these days. It's crowded, impersonal and just moody.

Have to agree with you here.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
It certainly has it's scruffy areas but when you walk around some places of equivalent size, especially up North you realise it is definitely not the worst by a long shot. I imagine Canada being exceptionally spick and span for some reason, not been though.

Canada is spick and span but as the Yanks say, so boring.
Been twice, including Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa and Vancouver. Liked it once there but no edge to the place whatsoever.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You should have done your homework before moving back. Peacehaven and Newhaven have to be among the worse places in the county to live.

Is this just your opinion Doug or have you lived everywhere else in the county?
I lived in Whitehawk for a number of years and I know living in Newhaven is better.
Big parts of Brighton are full of students, fine if you are a student but not good for a family.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Dr NBC

Former Insider
Apr 29, 2013
Mid Sussex
Why visit Brighton with friends and family? you could have told them what a rubbish place it is without visiting. Why are you on this board? You obviously don't like anything to do with Brighton, my advice is to stay the other side of the city limits and go somewhere else.

Well you are right on one account, I don't much care for the City of Brighton, but I did not realize that it was a necessary precondition for supporting the Albion. I also realize that this might seem somewhat incongruous to you but unfortunately (or fortunately for me) I do not care. I'm more than happy supporting the Albion, who, from my perspective (and for the time being) are based at Falmer, a place that I have always viewed as distinct from Brighton and to a lesser extent, Hove, and somewhere in which I have spent a vast amount of time over the past seven years.

So you see my good (Canon)man, this quasi-paradox that we have here is not mutually exclusive as I believe that it is indeed possible to both support the Albion while not caring much for the city they are based in.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I grew up in Brighton and lived there until about 8 years ago. I can honestly say that if I didn't work in Brighton now, I would never come back.

There's also way too many people in Brighton these days. It's crowded, impersonal and just moody. I'm glad to be out, and I can honestly say that if I didn't ever come to Brighton again, I wouldn't miss it.

Can't agree with anything you've said there, other than it's overpriced.
On the same thread we have people looking at Brighton as 'provincial' and 'quaint', yet others say it's overcrowded and moody.
I wouldn't say it's any of those things. But then I love it it here.

Think Brighton's crap? Try Blackpool. Seriously. Jesus Christ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here