Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaston Ramirez - 12 million quid

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
So you never ended up in administration/massive debt fairly recently then? You got lucky with your owner and his family otherwise you'd be in big shit financially.

Not through a 'shit or bust approach' no. We got relegated from the Prem because we sold our best players, not bought lots of expensive players. We went into administration because we needed the Prem money to pay back the £30m for our stadium, Rupert Lowe never accounted for the possibility of relegation. At what stage did we spend lots of money we didn't have on players?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not through a 'shit or bust approach' no. We got relegated from the Prem because we sold our best players, not bought lots of expensive players. We went into administration because we needed the Prem money to pay back the £30m for our stadium, Rupert Lowe never accounted for the possibility of relegation. At what stage did we spend lots of money we didn't have on players?

Rupert Lowe never accounted for the possibility of relegation?

Really?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it is valid to lay out £40 million for four players if you want to stay in the Premier on promotion. Wages might be part of the TV budget. They have to be the right players.

It might even be essential. I am sure that the current Albion squad would need four more players of this calibre. I am not sure it is worth paying all that money for a wide player though. He would have to be really special.

Last edited:

SouthamptonGuy

Apr 3, 2011
Rupert Lowe never accounted for the possibility of relegation?

Really?

I would have to assume not, given that our relegation from the Premier League screwed us up. Not the most popular man in Southampton But credit where it is due, he invested heavily into the youth set up... (Chamberlain, Walcott, Bale, Surman, Dyer, Blackstock etc). I just posted as I wasn't sure when our last 'shit or bust' moment was?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Your 'shit or bust' approach centred around a stadium that you couldn't afford. Shit or Bust doesn't only apply to players. If you live WAY beyond your means, be that players or buildings, then you are in 'shit or bust' mode. It's a very simple business model-one that you followed until you were rescued.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I wouldn't have any worries about the Southampton finances. They have made a lot from player sales and back to back promotions. A lot of their squad was there in League 1 so won't be on massive wages. £20m in transfer fees isn't a huge amount, it's the wages that are key and none of their players will be on astronomical figures. They spent £1m on a couple of players back in L1, which for that level was huge, but is a pittance when you look where they are now.

Really think they could finish top 10 this year

O . . . . K
That's one hell of a thought. Not a chance.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that Soton's wage bill last year was higher than the bottom 6 or 7 PL teams. If that's true, their wage bill will undoubtedly be higher this year and probably put them up to 10-12th in terms of wage bills. The PL is very easy to predict, teams rarely stray more than 2 or 3 places away from their 'wage bill' position. So in that case they should comfortably finish mid table.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
And therein lies a bit of a quandry. Where does TBs money come from? How much does he have? How much did he earn last year, and from what? How did he pay for the stadium? When you consider the questions often asked of football clubs, i.e. Leeds & Crawley, about where their money comes from, is it legitimate, we aren't all that transparent ourselves are we?

Who's business is it? Bloom is private individual where or how he earns his money is between him, his accountant and the taxman. Questions asked about other clubs are that it appears to some that there are a number of people known to be financing the clubs from afar.

We can only assume Bloom is "clean" due to the fact he openly here for all to see. He has stated that he has no wish to be in any of these lists and therefore any figure given as his wealth is pure conjecture and should be treated as such.

I know someone (has no interest whatsoever in football) who has worked privately for him in a complex business matter who told me he was staggered at the man's wealth.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He was awful at the Olympics but has done well in Italy and is highly rated. He'll need a bit of training in playing hoofballs up to Lambert.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Who's business is it? Bloom is private individual where or how he earns his money is between him, his accountant and the taxman. Questions asked about other clubs are that it appears to some that there are a number of people known to be financing the clubs from afar.

We can only assume Bloom is "clean" due to the fact he openly here for all to see. He has stated that he has no wish to be in any of these lists and therefore any figure given as his wealth is pure conjecture and should be treated as such.

I know someone (has no interest whatsoever in football) who has worked privately for him in a complex business matter who told me he was staggered at the man's wealth.

Well it's partly our business isn't it since he owns our club? Not in the sense that we need to know exactly how much money he's got. But, as people have pointed out over and over in relation to Portsmouth, it's during the good times that you should ask difficult questions about funding.

To ask where TB's money comes from and how secure/sustainable it is are inevitable questions for BHA fans to ask aren't they?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well it's partly our business isn't it since he owns our club? Not in the sense that we need to know exactly how much money he's got. But, as people have pointed out over and over in relation to Portsmouth, it's during the good times that you should ask difficult questions about funding.

To ask where TB's money comes from and how secure/sustainable it is are inevitable questions for BHA fans to ask aren't they?

The question of funding was shown at the time. An interest free loan not secured against anything, that does not have to paid off until 20 years(from memory) and even then the loan will be turned into shares. The loan was to the stadium company. He owns the majority of shares in the football club which amounts in value to not a lot. We do not owe any great sums if at all to any other creditors so what can happen? Bloom dies/becomes bankrupt decides to leave then what. His loan, he said can not and will not be called in, he can sell the debt to another party but the loan conditions will not change. Added to this the club's future is bright and would not be without investors. Bloom though has stated the next chairman will be his son and with his families ties to the club we shouldn't doubt it.

All we need to know for now is that unlike many other clubs we have a chairman who loves the club and has done for the majority of his life, his also extremely rich. Believe me when I say the money for the stadium has come from his own money, probably an old post office account he'd forgotten about!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One of the quotes of the day in today's guardian fiver email:

"It is an offer that you cannot refuse. They will give me so much money" – Gaston Ramírez eschews the usual 'great club with a glorious heritage' nonsense and cuts to the chase on signing for Southampton.​

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They were paying Jack Cork £23,000 a week last season, so clearly decided to give promotion a good attempt.

I think they have a decent squad, seem a hit top heavy with strikers, with Lambert, Ramirez, Rodriquez and Sharp fighting over one or two positions.

I have always rated Lallana, wonder if he can manage the step up to the PL. Clyne is a decent signing too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not the transfer fees but the wages and lack of relegation clauses to reduce them, that cause the problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here