Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaston Ramirez - 12 million quid

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
Things are changing, teams with ambition need to be in the EPL next season 2013/14.

The new TV deal was, I thnk, 3 times what the previous deal was (some £3bn) and the differnce between what the top division teams get and what the Championship teams get is massive, aboslutely huge. last season a mere 8.7% of EPL revenue trickled down to the second tier and below, and that included the parachute payments for the relegated clubs!

Commentators are concerned that the money that these EPL teams from next season will get in revenue and parachutes if they get relegated will be such that a 'closed shop' will evolve, making promotion from the Championship extremely difficult for non-established EPL teams.

There are probably, what, 6-8 clubs in the Championship who are willing to spend to go up ths season, us included.

In the EPL, safety is the be all and end all for the bottom 10 clubs, and they are willing to take risks to ensure that. If they're still in the Premiership in May then they're in a very good position for the future.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
Gazzetta dello Sport say Southampton will spend €19m on Gastón Ramírez; €13m to Bologna and €6m to Peñarol who co-own a % of him. Pricey!!!

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
If you take away that bellend Atkins and their twat of a chief exec, Southampton would not be a club I would give a toss about. Spending 20-30 million on players when you go up from this division is not excessive and seems sustainable when set against the 90 odd million it is worth to get into the Premier league. I don't see too many problems with what Southampton are doing to be honest and would imagine we would look to be spending similar amounts were we to be promoted.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Where the hell have Scumhampton got 11.8 million from?

Slippery slope again?

They'll get much bigger crowds for this trip to the PL so they should be much safer than PFC, then add in TV money for a guaranteed shit load of millions. All the while they remain in the PL they should be OK-it's when they get relegated they'll have problems. Sadly, the greed of PL clubs/players means that's the kind of money needed to get players in. IF we make it to the PL, we'll be doing the same. If we don't we'll be straight back down as Blackpool found out.

I'm not sure the PL dream is worth it.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Saints fan just shared this link with me, quite interesting actually. No wonder why they can afford him. Southampton are no.5, Brighton are 61.

The Football Rich List 2011/12: The Full 100 | Lists - FourFourTwo

What a load of horseshit. Do they serioulsy expect people to believe, that a man with a net worith of FIFTY MILLION pounds, funded a £100m stadium?
61. Tony Bloom £50m

Brighton & Hove Albion (Last year £50m, 60th)

Exciting times for Brighton fans, with their beloved Albion starting their second-tier season strongly in a brand new £93m, 22,500-seat stadium. Chairman Tony Bloom took over in 2009 and appointed former Chelsea and Spurs star Gus Poyet as manager. Bloom has been reported as injecting £80m into club to fund its new stadium. He has converted £18m of loans to the Seagulls into shares, making him the majority shareholder with a 75.61% stake.
If that level of input sounds like a gamble, Bloom should know what he's doing. He is one of Britain's top poker players, his interest in gambling having started at the age of seven when he lost his pocket money on fruit machines. He later made his real money by launching online-gaming firm Premierbet in 2002. It was taken over in 2005 and Bloom moved into property development in Brighton. His main company Blue Lizard Consulting showed £5.4m net assets in 2009-10. In all four of his companies have £10m net assets. Cautiously we value Bloom at around £50m as any return on the Seagulls investment will depend on the club making it to the top flight.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
When was our last shit or bust approach?

So you never ended up in administration/massive debt fairly recently then? You got lucky with your owner and his family otherwise you'd be in big shit financially.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ramirez will struggle in the premier league big time. Silly buy

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It doesn't appear to register with some there is no way on gods given earth Bloom would personally pay for a stadium out of his own un-borrowed money and only be left with 50m. This man is a billionaire not a tinpot millionaire.

And therein lies a bit of a quandry. Where does TBs money come from? How much does he have? How much did he earn last year, and from what? How did he pay for the stadium? When you consider the questions often asked of football clubs, i.e. Leeds & Crawley, about where their money comes from, is it legitimate, we aren't all that transparent ourselves are we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here