Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Eddie Nketiah

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Personally I think we have two young "projects" on the go with Zeqiri and Connolly up front, the more you have then the less game time and the less development they each have.

I don't think it's the signing we need. Goalscoring in 2 or 3 seasons is not what we need to resolve

So true.

There is a reason why Arsenal want shot of him, there is a reason why Liverpool let Brewster go, there is a reason why Chelsea don’t play Abraham anymore:

They are not boy wonders like Haaland. Not many strikers are, they need development.

Along with our two projects, these big six youngsters might come good like Toney & Armstrong or they might disappear up their own arses like Vincent Janssen.

Either way, we want to be in the business of scoring goals NEXT season not 2025. Let’s concentrate on players a bit older who are currently banging them in.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“Naylor says no”. As always this is going to be a common theme this window [emoji38]

Good.

No better than Zeqiri or Connolly at this stage of his career.

We’ve got enough ‘potential’ at the club FFS, we need a few players who can finish & score at EPL level next season, not in 2025.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
"Eddie Nketiah becomes England U21s' all-time record goalscorer. His 14th goal at international level surpasses Alan Shearer and Francis Jeffers. – At all youth-levels for England, including Under-20 and Under-19s, he's scored 23 goals from 23 appearances, averaging a goal every 77 minutes." From October 2020.

In the Prem he's been very poor/average much like Connolly but some clear pedigree. Tough one how much I'd knock off a Bissouma fee for him though. Has the potential to be a steal or a bust. But would we even be able to use the huge windfall money from Bissouma deal on a striker as good as Nketiah realistically. Especially taking wages into account. They don't come cheap and a lot of competition for signiture. So for me depends on the pricing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Arsenal fans on twitter seem to think they can get Biss for 15 to 20m plus Nketiah. They value Nketiah at Brewster levels or higher

Of course they do, but then they are biased, just like us.

Quite honestly if they were to offer us that £42m plus Nketiah l'd bite their hand off.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agree. A club with our budget for the level we’re playing at can’t buy a finished product. It has always been the case. Our two most recent and most successful goal scorers have been Zamora and Murray and those we gave opportunities to from (even) lower divisions/reserve football.

I agree that we can't compete with the 20 most valuable clubs in the world - of which 9 are in the Prem - but outside of that our budget is competitive. Furthermore, there are only so many available squad places available in the top teams for those 'finished products' to slot into.

Brighton can offer a top striker guaranteed game time in the Premier League and a wage that is probably a lot higher than what they are getting now (and a guarantee that it WILL be paid). We came close to the signing of Darwin Nunez before getting pipped by Benfica - a lad who had been on Barcelona's radar by many accounts. I expect us to be vying with clubs of similar standing for one or two players in this summer's transfer window.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think anyone underwhelmed by or not wanting to sign Nketiah is in for a bit of a disappointing summer.

Our last three striker signings (aside from Zeqiri) have been the Championship player of the year, a 28 year old Premier League England striker, and an experienced La Liga goalscorer.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So true.

There is a reason why Arsenal want shot of him, there is a reason why Liverpool let Brewster go, there is a reason why Chelsea don’t play Abraham anymore:

They are not boy wonders like Haaland. Not many strikers are, they need development.

Along with our two projects, these big six youngsters might come good like Toney & Armstrong or they might disappear up their own arses like Vincent Janssen.

Either way, we want to be in the business of scoring goals NEXT season not 2025. Let’s concentrate on players a bit older who are currently banging them in.

I don't think that Arsenal "want shot" of Nketiah at all, as you put it. More a case of them not being able to afford him enough game time with the likes of Aubemeyang, Lacazette, and Pepe all ahead of him in the pecking order for starting places.

And as for signing a player who can hit the ground running as far as scoring goals is concerned, well they are in short supply, and come at a price. We may have to cut our cloth accordingly.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think anyone underwhelmed by or not wanting to sign Nketiah is in for a bit of a disappointing summer.

Indeed. With the money, or lack of it, that will be available in these uncertain times, l think that Eddie Nketiah could almost be considered a marquee signing.

Personally speaking l'd far rather be signing him, than some completely untested youngster from a lower league team in Europe or beyond.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When did we sign Teemu Pukki? And who was the 28 year old England striker?

Apart from that, I don't really understand the point you're making?

The implication that its going to be some player found down the back of a sofa. Sorry. Yes Danny Welbeck was 29 when he signed not 28 and Maupay was the Championship player of the year before we signed him for 2019/20.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think that Arsenal "want shot" of Nketiah at all, as you put it. More a case of them not being able to afford him enough game time with the likes of Aubemeyang, Lacazette, and Pepe all ahead of him in the pecking order for starting places.

And as for signing a player who can hit the ground running as far as scoring goals is concerned, well they are in short supply, and come at a price. We may have to cut our cloth accordingly.

George at Asda is our current strikers, and a second hand pair of Levis off ebay :laugh:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't see this as a realistic target for us. The price will be too high and no guarantee of resale value, like Brewster he could be a flop and the transfer fee will be heavily weighted on potential rather than actual ability

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here