Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Eddie Howe

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Well from what I’m seeing Celtic fans are universally buzzing over the possible appointment of Eddie Howe. They’re certainly happy about it.

But I’m not sure I agree with the comparisons they’re making to when they appointed Brenda Rodgers. He had managed Liverpool and had Champions League experience. Eddie has just been relegated. Good luck to them though.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Really, why’s that ?
Just seen your answer. All my mates either want Roy to stay or want dyche. Howe doesn’t seen the right fit for us if Roy leaves.

Just had a look on Holmesdale. 36 page thread on Smug Eddie and currently the most recent thread. Contains contrasting opinions of course.

Dyche would be a better fit. Evolution rather than revolution. Bit of a sideways move for Dyche though and the same issues - lack of investment, ageing squad. I’d be surprised if you got him.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just had a look on Holmesdale. 36 page thread on Smug Eddie and currently the most recent thread. Contains contrasting opinions of course.

Dyche would be a better fit. Evolution rather than revolution. Bit of a sideways move for Dyche though and the same issues - lack of investment, ageing squad. I’d be surprised if you got him.

Dyche and Burnley are a perfect fit, Howe and Palarse not nearly so much.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
From that I infer you think is that Eddie is a decent manager. I suspect he's a decent Bournmouth manager.

This thread has gone all peculiar.

I dislike him but yes, I think he is a good attacking manager because he gets his teams (normally) scoring a hell of a lot of goals. Whilst his teams always conceded a fair few, he probably won’t have that problem in Scotchland as there is only one team that offers any realistic threat.

He is too good for Scottish football but has probably seen what Rodgers did and is eyeing a long term return to the EPL through the inevitable Celtic success he’d achieve.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've never got the hatred for him from a lot of people, comes across as a nice enough bloke to me.

I think hatred is a bit strong but it's that he hasn't got a good reputation on here. I agree that it's slightly unfair because it's a reputation based on a couple of things that were out of his control.

First, there was the press coverage of Bournemouth which focused on them being a small club punching above its weight ... ignoring the considerable amount of Russian money pumped into it.

Second there was the fact that Bournemouth got some very jammy decisions against us. It's swings and roundabouts of course, there are always going to be some strange ref decisions but Bournemouth seemed to benefit rather too often.

Neither of these, however, were Howe's doing and he's always struck me as a decent enough bloke. Besides, his birthday is the same day as mine and we have to stick together (he's certainly an improvement on Jacques Chirac, Shirley Porter and Ryan Giggs).

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
I think hatred is a bit strong but it's that he hasn't got a good reputation on here. I agree that it's slightly unfair because it's a reputation based on a couple of things that were out of his control.

First, there was the press coverage of Bournemouth which focused on them being a small club punching above its weight ... ignoring the considerable amount of Russian money pumped into it.

Second there was the fact that Bournemouth got some very jammy decisions against us. It's swings and roundabouts of course, there are always going to be some strange ref decisions but Bournemouth seemed to benefit rather too often.

Neither of these, however, were Howe's doing and he's always struck me as a decent enough bloke. Besides, his birthday is the same day as mine and we have to stick together (he's certainly an improvement on Jacques Chirac, Shirley Porter and Ryan Giggs).
In the recesses of my memory wasn't there a highly controversial decision at withdean versus Bournemouth once ?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'd be doubtful about this. Howe's reputation is based on a very decent style of attacking football, but like Dyche at Burnley, at Bournemouth he was king of all he surveyed. He built the team and the set up from nothing and, even when being relegated, was very rarely questioned or doubted. Celtic would be the exact opposite of this. The first moment that anything goes wrong, the fans and press are ready to eat the manager alive. I'm not saying that Howe doesn't have the mental toughness to deal with this, just that his next step in management will be the thing that proves him as either a good manager for any club, or a one hit wonder at Bournemouth. Taking Celtic as his next job is basically putting everything he has on black and hoping it doesn't come up red.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it would be a decent move for him, provided he isn't a one club man like his spell at Burnley could suggest.

There's a fair chance of winning trophies, you're guaranteed European football and if you get it right a rocking, adoring Celtic Park is a pretty decent place to spend a couple of years.

It would also be a good intermediary step form managing Bournemouth to getting a more established premier league job.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
In the recesses of my memory wasn't there a highly controversial decision at withdean versus Bournemouth once ?

Yup, pretty sure it was Steve Fletcher who basically impaled Tommy Elphick in the air in stoppage time, causing the ball to hit Elphick's hand a good yard or so outside the box and the ref gave a pen, costing us two points. Absolutely outrageous decision.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yup, pretty sure it was Steve Fletcher who basically impaled Tommy Elphick in the air in stoppage time, causing the ball to hit Elphick's hand a good yard or so outside the box and the ref gave a pen, costing us two points. Absolutely outrageous decision.

Even worse than that, it was Fletcher's arm, not Elphick's that touched the ball: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/oct/09/brighton-bournemouth-league-one1

Then there was this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16123505;

and this from AFC's friend 'Hoops': https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25512914

If memory serves Howe didn't endear himself to Brighton fans by viewing with Wenger glasses and supporting or brushing off all of these idiotic decisions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here