Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk and Connolly article in The Athletic today

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Oh no, neither do I.
But with all the talent that's available at centre back it's not as fanciful as it should be to have a 'Lewis who' thoughts in a few years. :jester: :ohmy:

Webster is already looking like an incredibly shrewd buy (is that possible for £20m?) while Youtube has me believing White is better!

[MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION]'s reply has given me pause for thought.

It looks like Duffy could be facing a spell on the bench, so losing Duffy and presumably Balogun in the Summer is a possibility to have 3 go at the same time is asking a lot of the production line.

Experience and brute strength counts for a lot at the back, Potterball or no Potterball.

If we did offload Dunk, Duffy and Balogun, that leaves us with a back 3 of Webster, White and Burn with either Leo Ostigard or Haydon Roberts on the bench. True, we might sometimes play 2 and not 3 centre backs and we could possibly shift Bernardo across into a 3, I just think the Burnleys of this world might quite fancy getting the better of us in a battle. True also that we could recruit. But as we've seen new signings have about a 50% success rate. I just don't see why we'd take the risk for a bit of profit

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Experience and brute strength counts for a lot at the back, Potterball or no Potterball.

If we did offload Dunk, Duffy and Balogun, that leaves us with a back 3 of Webster, White and Burn with either Leo Ostigard or Haydon Roberts on the bench. True, we might sometimes play 2 and not 3 centre backs and we could possibly shift Bernardo across into a 3, I just think the Burnleys of this world might quite fancy getting the better of us in a battle. True also that we could recruit. But as we've seen new signings have about a 50% success rate. I just don't see why we'd take the risk for a bit of profit
It certainly wouldn't be a bit of profit, it would be flocking huge profit.
But yes, you've made me think it isn't as 'easy' as I was making it out to be.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

If we did offload Dunk, Duffy and Balogun, that leaves us with a back 3 of Webster, White and Burn with either Leo Ostigard or Haydon Roberts on the bench.

Plus Clarke and Baluta.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm not being controversial, and I think the qualities of Dunk allow him the freedom, but I actually think Webster might be our best centre back now in terms of all round ability. He's quicker, very comfortable moving through the pitch with the ball at his feet and defensively he looks strong, assured and magnificent. Penalty incident at Chelsea aside, Webster to me looks a lot more like a £50million defender than Dunk. And I say that as someone who rates Dunk very highly, his range of passing is better than any English centreback, he has the heart of John Terry and the vision of Rio Ferdinand. He has effortlessly moved into a dominant role in our defence now, he's no longer the junior partner. He's the senior man back there and he's made the transition effortlessly.

If I were a scout for the top 6, I would be very interested in Dunk - but I'd be recommending moving for Webster ASAP before the price gets Maguire-mental.

I don't agree with you. Dunk's physicality, leadership and his out and out love of defending make him our most important man at the back. However, for footballing ability and as an option to stride through the midfield, Webster has been a brilliant signing. I just don't think he'll ever be the beast Dunky is

Webster isn't there yet, but the potential is clear. He's got this far through raw ability but a couple more years of development, premier league experience and serious coaching, then I think he could be amazing. I don't think these runs into the opposition box, as fun as they are, will stay, but there will be a dominant aura around him which could bring him to Dunk's level and beyond

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Oh no, neither do I.
But with all the talent that's available at centre back it's not as fanciful as it should be to have a 'Lewis who' thoughts in a few years. :jester: :ohmy:

Webster is already looking like an incredibly shrewd buy (is that possible for £20m?) while Youtube has me believing White is better!

[MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION]'s reply has given me pause for thought.

It looks like Duffy could be facing a spell on the bench, so losing Duffy and presumably Balogun in the Summer is a possibility to have 3 go at the same time is asking a lot of the production line.
Don’t forget we have ostigard who’s starting games now too plus Roberts and o’hora I could easily see us selling dunk Duffy and getting rid of balogun

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Agreed on both counts

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don’t forget we have ostigard who’s starting games now too plus Roberts and o’hora
The last 2 will probably find themselves at Leeds, next season.

That'll blow their tiny minds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same old same old.If you don't play for a top club you will struggle to play for England.

Kane has been selected...

...boom - back of the net.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't think that can be the issue. He's not slow - comfortable as quick as any of Maguire, Keane or Tarkowski.

Only Mings and Tomori are notably fast.

I'd concur with that analysis of these CBs speed but isn't it because Maguire is slow and first pick, then Southgate wants quicker players in the squad to supplement him (I know this doesn't explain Keane's place in the squad, but I'm struggling to identify anything that has any merit to justify Keane's place in the squad, let alone the first 11).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not being controversial, and I think the qualities of Dunk allow him the freedom, but I actually think Webster might be our best centre back now in terms of all round ability. He's quicker, very comfortable moving through the pitch with the ball at his feet and defensively he looks strong, assured and magnificent. Penalty incident at Chelsea aside, Webster to me looks a lot more like a £50million defender than Dunk. And I say that as someone who rates Dunk very highly, his range of passing is better than any English centreback, he has the heart of John Terry and the vision of Rio Ferdinand. He has effortlessly moved into a dominant role in our defence now, he's no longer the junior partner. He's the senior man back there and he's made the transition effortlessly.

If I were a scout for the top 6, I would be very interested in Dunk - but I'd be recommending moving for Webster ASAP before the price gets Maguire-mental.

I'm coming round to this view too, as much as it disappoints me. I'm not there yet though.

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I quite agree. And that’s no slight on Dunk who I think is brilliant and IMO should be a shoo-in for the England squad, he’s a club legend.

But Webster really looks quite special. I’ll be amazed if we’re not trying to fight off the really big clubs for him in 2/3 years time, forget about Leicester.

Incidentally I spoke to a mate of mine the other day who used to teach and coach him at Chichester and he’s not surprised at all by his progress. He said he is a lovely guy with a really great attitude and work ethic. Smart bit of business that even if the price did raise eyebrows at the time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There is a train of thought that Dunk wouldn't suit international football as he's a "last ditch" type defender (of course we know he's good at that, and the classy playmaking stuff also).

I think this is bollocks.

If England plan on getting to semi finals and even finals, then we are going to be up against teams like France or Belgium, i.e. teams that just are better than us. Exactly when you would need a Dunk last-ditch-tackle performance of heroism.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
If England plan on getting to semi finals and even finals, then we are going to be up against teams like France or Belgium, i.e. teams that just are better than us. Exactly when you would need a Dunk last-ditch-tackle performance of heroism.

And NOT a Stones semi-error-special leading to a goal being conceded.

And anyone who thinks that Mings or Keane are better than Dunk have clearly never seen our Lewis play in the Premier League. Fools!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here