Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk and Connolly article in The Athletic today

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
International week coming up.

Time to get #DunkForEngland trending on Twitter I think
I'd imagine Keane or even Maguire will give us an opportunity either side of the weekend.

#VirgilvanDunk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
sad if so, that others scoring goals is the only way to see the range and skills of a defender. we've seen the tackles, passes to midfield or deep pin-point passes for several seasons.

The pinpoint pings to the wings have been there but they don't make the highlight reel if they don't lead to a goal or a chance. That's what most fans will be basing their opinions on.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Perhaps Potter has given him the platform to showcase his skills though. A lot of non-Brighton fans view Dunk as a decent last ditch tackle defender. This season those opinions may change as they get more of a chance to see his ability to bring the ball out of defence and make key passes. 2 assists already this year.

One of the things that Leicester fans said when they were linked to them was that he wasn't a ball playing defender like Maguire, we all told them they didn't watch Dunk enough.

He has shown he has other strengths this season in not only playing great long passes (not going to say long balls), to set up 2 goals already this year, but also playing us out of trouble and setting up attacks, as well as being adaptable in a back 3 or 2 with different partners each week. All without sacrificing any of the good things he was doing before.

I don't think he had a great game against Southampton, when he probably dropped below his incredibly high standards, but otherwise has been as good as any CB in the prem this season with the new rules in place.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Anyone notice the performance from Keane for Everton on Saturday. If he is a fraction as good as Dunk then I am amazed. Only McGuire looks in Dunk's class IMHO. Don't care anyway now that I have become a RoI supporter! :)

TNBA

TTF

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That's basically the crux of the article!

Fair enough then - I haven't read the paywalled part - only going by El Pres' precis!

International week coming up.

Time to get #DunkForEngland trending on Twitter I think

I feel for him personally, but from a selfish Albion POV I'm quite content that he spends the week relaxing and staying fit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I feel for him personally, but from a selfish Albion POV I'm quite content that he spends the week relaxing and staying fit.
Better still to spend a week angrily stewing on the disappointment while plotting his revenge.

"I'll fudging well show Gareth".
"I'll put his poster boy in my pocket, then try and rip his head off".

We might just break our corner goal drought v Villa, as Dunk blasts a goal through Minger.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Been saying this for a while.

Dunk will be 28 soon, anyone offering him a contract will have to make it a massive one as it'll be the traditional last 'big one'.

The club need Dunk and Duffy gone soon, at the top of their valuations, just to move the process along.

If Duffy isn't a Potter type player it makes sense to move him on in the summer if he can't get his place back and doesn't want to be back up

Disagree about Dunky though. The point of being a football club isn't just to make money and thankfully Bloom doesn't run is that way. We play 3 at the back quite often, so when White is back with us there will be plenty of chances for him to force his way in, just as Webster and Burn have done. We should keep Lewis because he's the best defender at the club. If however he gets an unbelievable chance at a club like City, then the club shouldn't and I don't believe will stand in his way. The end of the season would be far preferable to January though

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Anyone notice the performance from Keane for Everton on Saturday. If he is a fraction as good as Dunk then I am amazed. Only McGuire looks in Dunk's class IMHO. Don't care anyway now that I have become a RoI supporter! :)

TNBA

TTF

There were also big mistakes from Mings & Tomori that got commentary & airtime on MoTD.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Perhaps Potter has given him the platform to showcase his skills though. A lot of non-Brighton fans view Dunk as a decent last ditch tackle defender. This season those opinions may change as they get more of a chance to see his ability to bring the ball out of defence and make key passes. 2 assists already this year.

Word perfect :clap2:

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
If Duffy isn't a Potter type player it makes sense to move him on in the summer if he can't get his place back and doesn't want to be back up

Disagree about Dunky though. The point of being a football club isn't just to make money and thankfully Bloom doesn't run is that way. We play 3 at the back quite often, so when White is back with us there will be plenty of chances for him to force his way in, just as Webster and Burn have done. We should keep Lewis because he's the best defender at the club. If however he gets an unbelievable chance at a club like City, then the club shouldn't and I don't believe will stand in his way. The end of the season would be far preferable to January though

I'd like to see Webster, Dunk, White as a back 3 in the future

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

TNBA

TTF

...and Keane is on £130,000 a week.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Been saying this for a while.

Dunk will be 28 soon, anyone offering him a contract will have to make it a massive one as it'll be the traditional last 'big one'.

The club need Dunk and Duffy gone soon, at the top of their valuations, just to move the process along.

Just not yet I think...personally I don’t want him ever to leave

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just not yet I think...personally I don’t want him ever to leave

Oh no, neither do I.
But with all the talent that's available at centre back it's not as fanciful as it should be to have a 'Lewis who' thoughts in a few years. :jester: :ohmy:

Webster is already looking like an incredibly shrewd buy (is that possible for £20m?) while Youtube has me believing White is better!

[MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION]'s reply has given me pause for thought.

It looks like Duffy could be facing a spell on the bench, so losing Duffy and presumably Balogun in the Summer is a possibility to have 3 go at the same time is asking a lot of the production line.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not being controversial, and I think the qualities of Dunk allow him the freedom, but I actually think Webster might be our best centre back now in terms of all round ability. He's quicker, very comfortable moving through the pitch with the ball at his feet and defensively he looks strong, assured and magnificent. Penalty incident at Chelsea aside, Webster to me looks a lot more like a £50million defender than Dunk. And I say that as someone who rates Dunk very highly, his range of passing is better than any English centreback, he has the heart of John Terry and the vision of Rio Ferdinand. He has effortlessly moved into a dominant role in our defence now, he's no longer the junior partner. He's the senior man back there and he's made the transition effortlessly.

If I were a scout for the top 6, I would be very interested in Dunk - but I'd be recommending moving for Webster ASAP before the price gets Maguire-mental.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm not being controversial, and I think the qualities of Dunk allow him the freedom, but I actually think Webster might be our best centre back now in terms of all round ability. He's quicker, very comfortable moving through the pitch with the ball at his feet and defensively he looks strong, assured and magnificent. Penalty incident at Chelsea aside, Webster to me looks a lot more like a £50million defender than Dunk. And I say that as someone who rates Dunk very highly, his range of passing is better than any English centreback, he has the heart of John Terry and the vision of Rio Ferdinand. He has effortlessly moved into a dominant role in our defence now, he's no longer the junior partner. He's the senior man back there and he's made the transition effortlessly.

If I were a scout for the top 6, I would be very interested in Dunk - but I'd be recommending moving for Webster ASAP before the price gets Maguire-mental.

I don't agree with you. Dunk's physicality, leadership and his out and out love of defending make him our most important man at the back. However, for footballing ability and as an option to stride through the midfield, Webster has been a brilliant signing. I just don't think he'll ever be the beast Dunky is

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here