Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Death Row - Which would you choose?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Odd subject Have read several WW2 books and seemed as though many senior Nazis were given a pill that did the trick Surely this would be best way to go

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It wasn't so much that he was given the choice - he insisted upon it. He was on death-row, but no executions had been carried out for years. He insisted that if he been sentenced to death, the sentence should be carried out. He demanded a firing squad, and after quite a battle with the authorities he finally got one.
Well..........he did choose to be executed (by not seeking a stay)and he did have the choice of method it appears.

"Gilmore chose death by firing squad, an uncommon method of execution not available in most states."

"At the time, Utah had two methods of execution—firing squad or hanging. Believing a hanging could be botched, Gilmore chose the former, declaring, "I'd prefer to be shot."

"Given a choice in the mode of his execution — firing squad or hanging — Gilmore opted to be shot.

:shrug: Not sure why you needed to be so contrary when it's all out there! There was a choice of method and he exercised that choice by electing to be shot.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well..........he did choose to be executed (by not seeking a stay)and he did have the choice of method it appears.

"Gilmore chose death by firing squad, an uncommon method of execution not available in most states."

"At the time, Utah had two methods of execution—firing squad or hanging. Believing a hanging could be botched, Gilmore chose the former, declaring, "I'd prefer to be shot."

"Given a choice in the mode of his execution — firing squad or hanging — Gilmore opted to be shot.

:shrug: Not sure why you needed to be so contrary when it's all out there! There was a choice of method and he exercised that choice by electing to be shot.
I was pointing out that it wasn't so much his choice of method that caused a sensation at the time, more the fact that he chose to be executed by his refusal to plea for leniency, insisting (against the general tendency at the time - the USA was moving towards abolition; there were no executions in the United States between 1967 and Gilmore in 1977) that they actually did execute him - and yes, having established he was going to be executed, he chose firing squad as the method.

P.S. I wasn't contradicting - I was adding further factual detail.

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
A guillotine would surely be a quick way to do things? Nice heavy sharp blade, over in a second.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Well that's the problem. Because they can't get the drugs, they've just been winging it with whatever shit they've got. Injecting people with drugs that vets refuse to even administer to animals.
Think Trump suggested using disinfectant. Or am I confusing that with something else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here