Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] #cpfc

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That would be great from a rivalry point of view. But I'd prefer them to get Southgate after his tremendously successful England career.
Why? Southgate was very successful as England manager. You’d have to hope that this didn’t translate to club management.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
No chance. The job is below Potter - Potter will either go to Europe or take something like West Ham.
I agree but I am often wrong so I’m a bit worried about it.

The jeopardy of relegation is also a big factor as GP would need time. Taking over with other teams having an 8-10 game head start isn’t great when trying to establish potterball

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
They even had a bit of bad luck on the links to the podcast this morning

IMG_2863.jpeg

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Why? Southgate was very successful as England manager. You’d have to hope that this didn’t translate to club management.
He won nothing. He failed miserably. England reached two finals and a semi-final despite Southgate, not because of him.

Last edited:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
He had a world class squad to select from,... he continued with older players out of club form.... he wasted a number of opportunities to pick up a trophy or two.... average coach/manager.
yes he’s not that brilliant is he. However is he BAD enough to get Palace relegated, and better still could he get them relegated two years on the trot? That would be something to behold.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
yes he’s not that brilliant is he. However is he BAD enough to get Palace relegated, and better still could he get them relegated two years on the trot? That would be something to behold.
I think he showed that he is very capable of making a sow's ear out of a sow's ear...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
He had a world class squad to select from,... he continued with older players out of club form.... he wasted a number of opportunities to pick up a trophy or two.... average coach/manager.
We’ve had some absolutely quality squads over the last 40 years, and no manager has ever got further than a semi final, and sometimes even failed to qualify for the major tournaments.

England qualified with ease under Southgate - I don’t think we even lost a competitive qualifying game - and had 2 finals, a semi and a QF. Sven’s record with the Golden Generation was 2 QFs and a 2nd round KO.

You may not like him, but to suggest Southgate was an unsuccessful England manager is laughable.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Regarding their attack it was always going to be a problem replacing...Olise, Edouard, & Ayew with Nketia, Sarr, and Kamada. None of them replace Olise's quality. Sarr is 26 now and doesnt seem to have developed much since his Watford days, and Kamada just looks completely ineffective in the Prem. Nketia could become a good signing, but he's just far too wasteful to be your main striker.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
We’ve had some absolutely quality squads over the last 40 years, and no manager has ever got further than a semi final, and sometimes even failed to qualify for the major tournaments.

England qualified with ease under Southgate - I don’t think we even lost a competitive qualifying game - and had 2 finals, a semi and a QF. Sven’s record with the Golden Generation was 2 QFs and a 2nd round KO.

You may not like him, but to suggest Southgate was an unsuccessful England manager is laughable.
This is the problem with us English, we accept defeat too easily with a ‘Oh well, we gave it a good go’. We should have a win at all costs mentality like other nations.

Nobody remembers who came second.

Southgate is a serial bottler, hopelessly out of his depth and tactically inept against the stronger teams.

A loser with a big fat L.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here