Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Austin for £4M

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
how long are we prepared for him to 'come good ' ?

He has already with 1 goal every other game which is a very good ratio of scoring The big problem is that he has missed a fair few and people only remember those and say if only but like Hoskins he has to get in the position to miss them in the first place and eventually they will start going in again.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He has already with 1 goal every other game which is a very good ratio of scoring

Means jack when they all came in a couple of games, thrashing a couple of relegation bound teams gets you nowhere when you then don't win for the next 10, consistency will get you out this league and he has none, therefore he's surplus to requirements and we should take whatever money we can for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Means jack when they all came in a couple of games, thrashing a couple of relegation bound teams gets you nowhere when you then don't win for the next 10, consistency will get you out this league and he has none, therefore he's surplus to requirements and we should take whatever money we can for him.

I wil be very surprised if we are not having this same conversation in 12 months time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
SYK4p.jpg

Oh my god. When did Austin pose in an albion shirt?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On goals scored CMS is the eight best in the Championship. That is pretty good given the style of football we play.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
BBC site mentions the "chase" for Austin and how a few premiership clubs may be trying to get him (and Glenn Murray for that matter) in the January transfer window. I don't think we stand a chance if PL clubs are after him.

I suspect they'll both be PL bound (and Palace will drop down as their goals dry up :D) as clubs like QPR/Reading/etc. will want to take a chance on someone who can score goals. PL teams can more afford to "gamble" £Xm on a striker and get it wrong, if we (and many others in our league) buy then trouble if they don't perform.

But, let's see what happens.

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
I'd rather they spent £4m on a new Gullys Girls squad. Happy with the current squad, just need a bit more composure in front of goal (better coaching). A new expensive striker will not be a cure all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd rather they spent £4m on a new Gullys Girls squad. Happy with the current squad, just need a bit more composure in front of goal (better coaching). A new expensive striker will not be a cure all.

Normally I'd agree, but Austin up front with CMS would be way better than what we have now. Would certainly seal a play off place minimum assuming both kept fit.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
BBC Sport - Charlie Austin: Burnley say striker is not for sale in January

Charlie Austin: Burnley say striker is not for sale in January
Burnley say they will resists attempts to buy Charlie Austin, the leading scorer in English football this season, during the January transfer window.

The 23-year-old striker has scored 22 goals in all competitions and is expected to attract interest from Premier League clubs next month.

But speaking at the club's AGM on Monday, chief executive Lee Hoos said: "We have no plans to sell Charlie.

"We do not want to sell Charlie and we would not encourage offers."

He continued: "We just want to keep Charlie and let him enjoy his football as he is doing right now and keep scoring goals and let's see where it takes us at the end of the season."

Burnley experienced a similar scenario last season, when a bid from Southampton for Jay Rodriguez was rejected in January but they allowed him to leave in June when newly-promoted Saints matched their valuation for the player, believed to be in the region of £7m.

Former Swindon striker Austin equalled a club record earlier in the campaign, scoring in eight consecutive appearances for the Clarets, and also became the quickest Burnley player to score 20 goals in a single season.

Meanwhile, co-chairman Mike Garlick has ruled out the possibility of a spending spree by the club in January.

Instead, manager Sean Dyche will be asked to explore the loan market if he wants to bring in any new players.

"I hate buying in January. It is not always the best time to buy, so January will not be a priority," said Garlick.

"We have quite a few players out of contract here. Sean has been here about eight weeks and is still very much fine tuning what we've got.

"There may be something in January for extra loans, but I don't think we are planning on any major activity."

Jamaican winger Dane Richards has already agreed a free transfer from Vancouver Whitecaps and will link up with the Championship club on 1 January.

To be fair whatelse would you expect them to say - come and get him we are deparate to sell.

If prem clubs are genuinley interested in Austin, i cant see him signing for us. However it does seem quite rare that prem clubs take a punt on a good championship striker these days - Jay Rodrigez and Steven Fletcher (both bizarrely Burnley players i think)!!

Ideally i would love to keep CMS but would trade CMS to Norwich to fund a bid for Austin everyday of the week. Not sure i would want to lump Bridcutt into the financing pot though.. we should try to keep Bridders at all costs. Austin is a southern lad so might fancy moving down sarf? We have a great stadium, good support and a manager that footballers will respect - so if TB can come up with the cash - i am sure GP can do the sales job. Fingers crossed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here