Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Austin for £4M

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Would love it, just love it, if we got him.

Reading between the lines in Gus's interview in the Argus yesterday, he does seem to think he is close to getting who he wants. Hope this is "the one".
And doesn't he know him from his time at Swindon?

I think austin went to swindon after poyet left, but poyet did want him when he went to burnley but we couldn't afford him (i believe we did make a bid). Poyet has wanted him for as long as he's been here, would be perfect for us!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would be a great signing but personally rate the chances of this happening as 2/10. They would be 1/10 if it wasn't for the rumours that CMS and Bridcutt are being chased by Norwich

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Just posting what is written in the Sun this morning so don't shoot the messenger!

"Brighton are preparing a £4Million bid for Burnley goal-machine Charlie Austin. The striker has netted 22 times in 24 games this season. Seagulls boss Gus Poyet said, "We have a magnificent chance to get into the top 6. I'm doing my homework"

I am a tad worried here. Gus is the wrong side of 40 yet still doing his homework. I blame his parents for letting him out to kick a football around when he patently should have been swotting.

TNBA

TTF

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If we get him for £4 million (or at all, frankly) I will be amazed.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Even if we did sign him, he would be written off after 2 games of not scoring.
Gus would put him on a two month re-education program before playing him anyway,... like he has with almost all players signed in the last year or two.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
If we have to let Bridcutt and/ or CMS go to fund Austin, I'd rather we didn't bother. We need an additional striker not a replacement for CMS/Bridcutt.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If this story is true, then the figure of £4m is just an opening bid. There is no way that Burnley will sell for that amount and Gus and Albion are perhaps testing the water....i.e are Burnely interested in selling and what price do they have in mind.

Do Burnley have money problems? Well they have received parachute payments and have received £7m for Rodriguez, yet havent splashed any of that cash. So it would seem that they need outside funds (other than what they receive through the gate) to survive. With the parachute payments ending soon, I would say that yes they do need the money.

Rodriguez and Rhodes were sold at £7m and £8m (and I think Rhodes was for upfront of £4.5m plus the rest if Blackburn went up, although I might be wrong on this). Both these players had either played for England U21 or Scotland side so their fee may be slightly higher. I would hazard a guess that Austin would go for between £6m-5m

To pay for that Bridcutt or CMS would go.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
The only reason why we are being linked to £4m players is due to Sir Paul Barber. Single handedly driving our growth and revenue to another level.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
If CMS goes to Norwich, then yes, definitely. If not, money dependent, still yes definitely. I think Austin offers more than CMS in terms of tecnical ability and pace. Plus he seems to know where the goal is. In fairness, a CMS - Austin front line in a 4-4-2 would be mustard. Just don't think Gus would ever play it :(

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Macheda saturday (or whatever his name is ) ..Austin today..bet by time deadline day comes it will be at least ten more..its hardly a secret tht we want to buy a striker...so personally i take no notice of paper 'chat'

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If we have to let Bridcutt and/ or CMS go to fund Austin, I'd rather we didn't bother. We need an additional striker not a replacement for CMS/Bridcutt.

Absolutely. That would be one step forward and two steps back, just replaces one problem with potentially an even bigger one. The loss of Bridcutt would be hard to take and not easy to replace.

Ideally we should be strengthening the quality in our squad, not trading in our best players. Get rid of the deadwood instead. OK we would get more for CMS but we aren't exactly brimming with strikers and he is currently our only one on target for 20+ goals this season. I would be very concerned if CMS has to go to fund such a deal both from playing and financial viewpoints.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
- - - - - - -Kuszczak
Bruno - Greer - AEA - Bridge
- - - - Bridcutt - Crofts
Buckley - - - - - - - - Orlandi
- - - - - CMS - Austin

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here