Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Brunch

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Let's up the game a bit. Friday and Saturday brunches are the norm out this way. 2 examples;
McGettigans Brunch(pub) includes all you can eat from a fairly wide variety including eggs benedict, rib of beef, pork belly. Runs from 12-4 and includes beer, wine, cocktails. Now, if 4 hours of eating and drinking is not enough, from 5 to 8 is all you can drink, Drunch!

Movenpick (Hotel) same time and drinks but the food is everything from oysters, lobster, sushi, all the way through to rib of beef, steaks etc.
All of the above has live music throughout and can get very messy, especially McGettigans that has the Drunch! Movenpick is more sedate but lovely.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Teddies tearoom, East St, Shoreham-by-Sea.

Full, fully loaded eggs Benedict.

I do find the staff fine, although a little awkward. There’s something about the place that never makes me feel truly welcome.

Nevertheless, a good feed.

Teapots need to be larger though. Only get two small cups out of it, at a push .

IMG_3852.png

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Mr Egg in Birmingham is king of the brunces and they dso their infamous Egg grill (an eggy version of a mixed grill) with poached eggs, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, fried egg and roasted eggs served with a hunk of bread and a mountain of chips.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's up the game a bit. Friday and Saturday brunches are the norm out this way. 2 examples;
McGettigans Brunch(pub) includes all you can eat from a fairly wide variety including eggs benedict, rib of beef, pork belly. Runs from 12-4 and includes beer, wine, cocktails. Now, if 4 hours of eating and drinking is not enough, from 5 to 8 is all you can drink, Drunch!

Movenpick (Hotel) same time and drinks but the food is everything from oysters, lobster, sushi, all the way through to rib of beef, steaks etc.
All of the above has live music throughout and can get very messy, especially McGettigans that has the Drunch! Movenpick is more sedate but lovely.
I was going to post similar yesterday, but you've done all the work for me.

Have done the very same more times than I can remember. Brunch/Drunch for 4 people used to be the top prize in the Tuesday quiz night in the Movenpick, JBR. We had an ok team and there wasn't a whole lot of competition, so we'd win it every couple of weeks!

The drinks were all ordered before the end and systematically lined up - they'd last late into the evening. As you say, the food was amazing with various cooking stations around the place - lobster, sushi and sashimi, oysters, Wagyu steak and a whole lot more.

Combine that with back to back Premier League games during the afternoon / evening in the sports bar where we ended up with our drinks and it was a winner. And all free. :)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Eggs Benedict is my favourite brunch ever. Whilst I love avocado on toast, with a poached egg too, any old sausage can do that themselves, not sure why its become so popular...but a good hollandaise is a treat indeed, with a super good coffee....amazing!
Bloody lovely, first time i ever had Eggs Benedict was in Amsterdam for the Ajax game. Got to the age of 50 without ever having it.
Its my go to every time now

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bloody lovely, first time i ever had Eggs Benedict was in Amsterdam for the Ajax game. Got to the age of 50 without ever having it.
Its my go to every time now
My first was at a beautiful Mom/Pop boutique B&B in Lone Pine, California, on the border of Death Valley.

They had chickens in the back, everything homemade, and I’ve been chasing that quality since. Probably the best meal I’ve ever had, so simple and all 100% organic.

Salivating just thinking about how good it was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From Sunday and the Frau’s Insta account.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
My first was at a beautiful Mom/Pop boutique B&B in Lone Pine, California, on the border of Death Valley.

They had chickens in the back, everything homemade, and I’ve been chasing that quality since. Probably the best meal I’ve ever had, so simple and all 100% organic.

Salivating just thinking about how good it was.
Did you visit Coppertop BBQ in Big Pine? Oh my, voted no1 restaurant in USA on Yelp and its a shack. Gorgeous food.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I had the pleasure a few years back in celebrating an aunties birthday at the Landmark hotel in Marylebone with a champagne brunch.
It was an astonishing spread.
Being the glutton I am I was drifting in and out of consciousness I ate so much.
And the others were drifting similarly, but that was from your repartee ;)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Did you visit Coppertop BBQ in Big Pine? Oh my, voted no1 restaurant in USA on Yelp and its a shack. Gorgeous food.
Just looked it up, but we didn’t visit Big Pine - it’s about a 40 minute drive from Lone Pine. So many Pines!

We did go to the delightful Margie’s Merry Go Round (https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ie_s_Merry_Go_Round-Lone_Pine_California.html)

Best Chinese I’ve ever had, cooked by Margie, a little old Chinese grandma with a massive wok and a big smile. Lovely family business. Hope she’s still with us.

Seems Lone Pine and Big Pine do particularly exceptional, fresh food. I wonder if it’s a regional thing where standards are particularly high in that area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here