Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Brunch

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What's the view on brunch menus that include dishes which really don't have any part of the breakfast bit at all, like a burger?

Each to their own and all that, but it strikes me more like offerings for those who don't really get brunch, but are dragged along by their brunch-loving friends and family.
A burger is more lunch than brunch imho. Shouldn’t be on the menu unless it says something like “available after noon”

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
A burger is more lunch than brunch imho. Shouldn’t be on the menu unless it says something like “available after noon”

Hang on a minute...If the Br part is breakfast, and the unch part is lunch (well thats what I thought it was) why can't a burger (which people have for lunch) be on a brunch menu??

I'm actually right with you both, that a burger isn't brunch, but if the definition of brunch is breakfast and lunch, then we do have to tolerate some luncheon interlopers on the menu? Unless I've completely got the wrong end of the stick...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing I love about brunch is how democratic and joyful it usually is. You have couples, you have groups of friends, the glowing and healthy morning runners/gym goers and conversely the slightly hung over crowd with their bloody Marys, birthdays and people catching up (we had a good friend from Brighton in town so we were in this category today).

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
View attachment 190259

Lots of fresh chopped fruit, greek yoghurt to start
Then Scrambled eggs with Salmon and half an advocado
Cold meats (salami’s and hams) and cheeses with German and Polish breads
Pastries - especially almond croissant
Gallons of fresh coffee

Ideally a meal that lasts for a good hour so holidays or Sundays only.
Not exactly Kosher is it? ;)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hang on a minute...If the Br part is breakfast, and the unch part is lunch (well thats what I thought it was) why can't a burger (which people have for lunch) be on a brunch menu??

I'm actually right with you both, that a burger isn't brunch, but if the definition of brunch is breakfast and lunch, then we do have to tolerate some luncheon interlopers on the menu? Unless I've completely got the wrong end of the stick...
I’m not sure there’s a clear definition but for me, brunch is more breakfast pushing on into the early afternoon. Consequently the menu features breakfast items plus lighter lunch dishes.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
IMG_4355.jpeg

What?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I do love a good brunch. It's become a big part of watching the Brighton matches in the pub. A Saturday 3pm kickoff is 10am here, so we often have brunch around half time. Then a couple of beers to wash it down with.

There does seem to be a trend here of people going for brunch at 2 or 3pm. That's clearly not brunch, it's more like Linner or Dunch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
For me, two poached eggs on toasted sourdough,at about 10.45.
But... I'll still have my fruit and kefir,and porridge with nuts at 7.30 or I'll never make it to brunch!

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
No, it's self-explanatory.
No it isn’t.

Why should it matter to you if my brunch suggestion as opposed to anyone else’s isn’t Kosher?

I have never claimed to practice Judaism.

Lots of really good food choices here too

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me, two poached eggs on toasted sourdough,at about 10.45.
But... I'll still have my fruit and kefir,and porridge with nuts at 7.30 or I'll never make it to brunch!

Similarly.

Every day first thing a small bowl of porridge, albeit with dried cranberries and raisons, a minuscule skim of sugar.

Later if I’m meeting my parents, an English brunch.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
There's not really enough time between second breakfast and elevenses for a substantial meal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here