Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Seen some comments 'Potter's recipe'.

No.

Completely different today. Nothing much on the wing, but fast short passes to risky dangerous areas in the middle of the pitch. Sorry but I was shitting it the whole game. Exciting, though. :moo:

I can see us ripping some sides apart, but shipping 7 to Citeh.

Interesting times :eek:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Apart from the first 15 mins I thought we did ok, missed the crisp precision passing of recent games, together with some pretty quick closing down by Spuds.

Caicedo looked off the boil and Gilmore looked pretty sharp for his intro into the team. Estupinan seemed reluctant to go forward and take on Romero (the ****) and we looked better with Mitoma on with Solly behind. Thought Mac was ok, Tross had one of his absent games with V,D,W at the back were pretty solid for the most part.

Overall not great but certainly not dire, especially considering RDZ had only one week of training with the whole squad.

Spuds, last 20 mins of time wasting, diving, fouling, cheating, faking and every other anti football trick, shows that 1) they played for a 1-0, 2) are miles off being a true title/cup contender and 3) were shit scared of letting us play our brand of football as they KNEW we could quite easily earn a draw - not nick as it was deserved imo.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
May have to get used to that. Dunk said in interview that RDZ wants to attack down the middle.

We need to watch this. Some of the noises in the crowd when we were in control of the ball is coming through more and more on the TV. Especially after the Potter booing (overblown by the press but we can't change that) we are slowly getting a "moaning" reputation.
Time to get behind them :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am getting the feeling that the honeymoon is nearly over for RDZ from some already :rolleyes:

Is De Zerbi pushing his style too quickly? It was apparent that we were holding on to the ball at the back and inviting pressure to make space for a quick intricate passing attacking break to me. I imagine lots were shitting themselves (I was sometimes) but in and around their area we were the Albion of most of Potter’s tenure, trying to walk the ball into the net or shooting from the edge of the box into an area full of Spurs bodies. Spurs played in the style we have struggled against for a couple of years but with quality players.

This switch of style could take some time to implement effectively.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I am getting the feeling that the honeymoon is nearly over for RDZ from some already :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say that. I think everyone accepts that was his first home game and he's not had much time with the whole squad. I think Naylor tweeted afterwards that he, himself, took responsibility for our style at the start because he'd not predicted Conte's line up correctly.

Is De Zerbi pushing his style too quickly? It was apparent that we were holding on to the ball at the back and inviting pressure to make space for a quick intricate passing attacking break to me. I imagine lots were shitting themselves (I was sometimes) but in and around their area we were the Albion of most of Potter’s tenure, trying to walk the ball into the net or shooting from the edge of the box into an area full of Spurs bodies. Spurs played in the style we have struggled against for a couple of years but with quality players.

This switch of style could take some time to implement effectively.

You can't push a style too quickly. You either have a style of play and basic tactical mindset or you don't. But, yes, it will take the players a good while to adapt from Potterball and we need to be patient while they do. Yesterday we were unlucky enough to come up against a coach who knows how to play against De Zerbi, has the players to do it and took a 1-0 lead he was confident of protecting, to the detriment of an entertaining game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yesterday,we looked exactly what we are, a team adapting to a new style.

In many ways it's good that we have a tough run of games, where we aren't expecting too many points.
Gives us time to adapt.

Relieved we didn't have to face Palace during this period.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't say that. I think everyone accepts that was his first home game and he's not had much time with the whole squad. I think Naylor tweeted afterwards that he, himself, took responsibility for our style at the start because he'd not predicted Conte's line up correctly.

You can't push a style too quickly. You either have a style of play and basic tactical mindset or you don't. But, yes, it will take the players a good while to adapt from Potterball and we need to be patient while they do. Yesterday we were unlucky enough to come up against a coach who knows how to play against De Zerbi, has the players to do it and took a 1-0 lead he was confident of protecting, to the detriment of an entertaining game.

Good point re Conte having knowledge of De Zerbiball, I hadn’t thought of that!

Spurs needed a win after their defeat to Arsenal and Conte will not care how it was achieved. They played us well and were almost Dyche like in their play acting, which got worse as the game went on. The ref was suckered too many times imo, but being a top six club gives you that advantage in most games. At least he booked Kane for cheating though. Thought the Veltman yellow was harsh, backchat?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The 5 at the back killed the game for our wide players as we could not do the usual overload with the full backs. Through the middle was too congested with Bissouma (who was shadow of player who we saw) and Højbjerg and with Kane and Son dropping deep we were trying to pass between 3-4 banks of players in one half.

De Zerbi was trying to get us to move the ball quicker forward from the press but too many players were taking a poor or additional touch giving spurs enough time to reset behind the ball.

We have never been a side good enough to break down teams who sit back behind the ball and tonight was no different. We also had too many players not at it to make a difference. Frustrating night all around and a pretty ugly watch

All of that said we were not outplayed by any stretch which given the quality of the opposition shows the levels we are still at

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jeez, to read the comments on here you’d have thought we weren’t in the game at all.

We were playing the 3rd placed team in the top flight and it was a closely matched game throughout. We created more chances than Spurs and didn’t deserve to lose.

Where’s the fire?

Look at who Spurs signed in this window. This is a bully of a club in financial terms and we are starting to become a real threat to them. I thought we made them look ordinary in a game that was, well, ordinary.

We’ve got a little drunk on 5-2 and 3-3 scorelines. This was just a ‘back to earth’ moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We gave the ball away far too much first half . Some of our passing was woeful . Don’t want to mention that player again as seems like an agenda but f k me some of his passing is woeful .

Anyway , second half was pretty good . Did feel a bit like we were back to walking the ball in rather than unloading but spurs very organised .

Another day we may of got a point and possibly we deserved it .

We had a lot of crap under potter , it’s easy for this seasons start to mask worse performances with the same players

Brentford is a good gauge and looking forward to that

Some of the comments about rdz already are embarrassing

No wonder you hear moans at the Amex

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apart from the first 15 mins I thought we did ok, missed the crisp precision passing of recent games, together with some pretty quick closing down by Spuds.

Caicedo looked off the boil and Gilmore looked pretty sharp for his intro into the team. Estupinan seemed reluctant to go forward and take on Romero (the ****) and we looked better with Mitoma on with Solly behind. Thought Mac was ok, Tross had one of his absent games with V,D,W at the back were pretty solid for the most part.

Overall not great but certainly not dire, especially considering RDZ had only one week of training with the whole squad.

Spuds, last 20 mins of time wasting, diving, fouling, cheating, faking and every other anti football trick, shows that 1) they played for a 1-0, 2) are miles off being a true title/cup contender and 3) were shit scared of letting us play our brand of football as they KNEW we could quite easily earn a draw - not nick as it was deserved imo.

Pretty much how I saw it. Spurs were very solid defensively, and we just couldn’t get that final pass to work, often trying to ping it incredibly quickly and missing the target. We played some lovely stuff at times. Handful of players a little below the levels of recent games which was the difference.

I’d much rather watch us than Spurs….been chatting with my Spurs ST mate last night/this morning, although third, they don’t like what they’re watching.

Dunk should have been MOTM for me, he was immense.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Jeez, to read the comments on here you’d have thought we weren’t in the game at all.

We were playing the 3rd placed team in the top flight and it was a closely matched game throughout. We created more chances than Spurs and didn’t deserve to lose.

Where’s the fire?

Look at who Spurs signed in this window. This is a bully of a club in financial terms and we are starting to become a real threat to them. I thought we made them look ordinary in a game that was, well, ordinary.

We’ve got a little drunk on 5-2 and 3-3 scorelines. This was just a ‘back to earth’ moment.

Agree completely, Spurs have an embarrassment of riches on their subs bench let alone the starting line up. We weren't at our best particularly in the first half last night, but we could have easily nicked a point - if one of our few shots on the edge of the box had crept in I think the mood amongst some on here would be far different.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Conte had done his homework and basically stopped us playing out from the back which meant wasteful long balls to the opposition or going out of play. The players we needed to be on their game were below which in some cases might have put some watching scouts off.
Mitoma looks some player. Felt sorry for Welbeck as he often had no options due to lack of support upfront.
Onto Brentford

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I really hope RDZ gets a big win early on. Otherwise, there are just too many people in our home crowd who will be on his case. The moaners near me were already getting into their stride yesterday when we were knocking the ball about at the back. It’d been blissfully peaceful for a while with Potter getting results.

I’ll admit to finding some of the walking football in the first half weird to watch but when the quick forward pass changes the tempo & cuts out several opposition players, can see the reasoning. Not entirely convinced yet it will succeed in the PL - particularly the ultra high risk passes from the keeper - but I won’t be getting on anyone’s back for trying. As for passes going astray up front, seems to me RDZ wants everything first touch, which will be spectacular if/when the players get it right. While they adapt, we’ll lose the ball a bit. Especially against teams as negative as Spurs.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

Where’s the fire?

I think it is a great compliment to Brighton that one of the world's best managers at a Champions League club had to change and adapt his tactics to stop us playing our game.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of teams other than Màn City may start to adapt their game to try and stop us playing.

Hopefully RdZ will start working on plan B and C over the next few weeks.

I wouldnt be surprised if we go 4-4-1-1 or 4-2-3-1 next week with Mitoma coming in for Gross and Velvet s going to RB

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
The morning after , I thought we were pretty disappointing, the first hall an hour we were slow , showing no sense of urgency, being beaten in most fifty flfty tackles , passing was poor , gave the ball away too often , but we gradually grew in to the game . But we failed to create one clear cut chance in the whole match , I know Spurs are a good team and were well organised . Their keeper did not have to make one save , I thought the players would of been up for this game from the start , but it took them to go a goal down to get going

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here