Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Tottenham Hotspur *** Official Match Thread ***

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Needed a bit quicker reaction from the manager. Their high press was causing us a lot of problems, yet we didn't go long. Would have brought Mitoma on earlier, clearly a player who defenders hate having to deal with. I would say also Lamptey on the other side, bit he seems to be a fraction of the player he was before his injury. Had a few opportunities to take Sessengnon on, but just passed safely inside. If he's not going to take players on and use his pace, I'm not sure what he is on the pitch for

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Needed a bit quicker reaction from the manager. Their high press was causing us a lot of problems, yet we didn't go long. Would have brought Mitoma on earlier, clearly a player who defenders hate having to deal with. I would say also Lamptey on the other side, bit he seems to be a fraction of the player he was before his injury. Had a few opportunities to take Sessengnon on, but just passed safely inside. If he's not going to take players on and use his pace, I'm not sure what he is on the pitch for

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The one occasion he did, he was fouled twice by different players in the space of a couple of yards. Must put you off trying in some ways.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think my only problem with today was the 15 minutes it took him to notice the way Spurs had set up. We were swamped in midfield from the kick off and hopefully he will react a bit quicker once he comes to terms with the PL.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think you are underestimating the affects of the last few days on the players, Son managed to kill 2/3 moves as well.

The issue most had with Levy was he stuck his nose into the footballing side of things, he’s stopped now

I’m not going to look it out now, but I think till last season Brighton had a higher 5 year net spend than Spurs.

CIES Football Observatory data.

That was the Palarse obsession with us when we spent in the our first two EPL seasons, spectacularly missing the key point that in summer 2017 it was our turn to start building an EPL quality squad. Which Bloom has since mitigated with the sales of White, Burn, Bissouma and Cucurella.

On fightingcock they relentlessly attacked ENIC as tight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I remember walking away from WHL in our second season of PL football the game where we played very defensively and looked like we were going to nick a point until we conceded in the 86th minute. Walking to the coach Spurs fans were saying how can you watch that cr*p. Well today despite winning I have to say Spurs football was not pretty tonight , no flair or character quite a lot of professional fouls and acting I felt things had gone full circle.

I think you are underestimating the affects of the last few days on the players, Son managed to kill 2/3 moves as well.

The Liverpool net spend is on a par with Spuds, despite the former having greater income through CL campaigns and the owners have not put a cent to subsidise fees/wages. The fans slagged off Lewis and Levy, but they’re spending significantly.

You and I had a recent nsc discussion about Arsenal’s colossal spending spree, the suspicion in football circles that they’re breaking the financial rules. So touchy a subject that Arteta has stuck his two pennies worth in at press conferences.

View attachment 152617

The issue most had with Levy was he stuck his nose into the footballing side of things, he’s stopped now

I’m not going to look it out now, but I think till last season Brighton had a higher 5 year net spend than Spurs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think my only problem with today was the 15 minutes it took him to notice the way Spurs had set up. We were swamped in midfield from the kick off and hopefully he will react a bit quicker once he comes to terms with the PL.

RDZ said exactly that. He said he made a mistake pre match in wrongly guessing their formation (failing to prepare for 5 swamping us in midfield).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
CIES Football Observatory data.

That was the Palarse obsession with us when we spent in the our first two EPL seasons, spectacularly missing the key point that in summer 2017 it was our turn to start building an EPL quality squad. Which Bloom has since mitigated with the sales of White, Burn, Bissouma and Cucurella.

On fightingcock they relentlessly attacked ENIC as tight.

Sure, but you still spent vast sums for a different end goal

Fans are entitled twits sometimes, given what bloom has done for Brighton people still have a go for not spending 30 million on a striker.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The Liverpool net spend is on a par with Spuds, despite the former having greater income through CL campaigns and the owners have not put a cent to subsidise fees/wages. The fans slagged off Lewis and Levy, but they’re spending significantly.

You and I had a recent nsc discussion about Arsenal’s colossal spending spree, the suspicion in football circles that they’re breaking the financial rules. So touchy a subject that Arteta has stuck his two pennies worth in at press conferences.

View attachment 152617

Interesting table. Have we really spend that much money on players i.e. on average 20m euro for 20 players. Tonight's team cost about 80m euro, I can only think of 4 other players that cost 80m euro propper, locadia , ali j and izzy and yes we lost money on them but i thought the others we have were low cost and sold on for something.

Sarisbury Seagull

Solly March Fan Club
NSC Patron
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Unfortunately a very predictable result from very early on. I expect today is the last we’ll see of 3 at the back for a while. He usually plays 4 at the back and I don’t think 3 at the back is conducive to RDZ’s insistence on passing through from the back and through the lines, there’s not enough protection in the centre of midfield.

We desperateley needed an extra man in central midfield today, I’m a little bit surprised/disappointed it wasn’t rectified early on today.

Gross really poor for the second week in a row, personally I would sacrifice him for Lallana:

Sanchez
Veltman - Webster - Dunk - Estupinan;
Lallana - Mac Allister - Caicedo;
March - Welbeck - Trossard.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

My problem was that it was fairly clear by 60 minutes we needed a change, we need to inject some pace and yet he still waited. Maybe he doesn't know the players well enough but Mitoma should have been on for Gross or maybe Pervis and he briought on Gilmour and Lamptey far too late to make a difference.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We desperateley needed an extra man in central midfield today, I’m a little bit surprised/disappointed it wasn’t rectified early on today.

Gross really poor for the second week in a row, personally I would sacrifice him for Lallana.

Exactly. The engine-room is where EPL games are won or lost, usually.

Worldly-wise Conte knew that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unfortunately a very predictable result from very early on. I expect today is the last we’ll see of 3 at the back for a while. He usually plays 4 at the back and I don’t think 3 at the back is conducive to RDZ’s insistence on passing through from the back and through the lines, there’s not enough protection in the centre of midfield.

Gross really poor for the second week in a row, personally I would sacrifice him for Lallana:

Sanchez
Veltman - Webster - Dunk - Estupinan;
Lallana - Mac Allister - Caicedo;
March - Welbeck - Trossard.

Gross and Trossard were both anonymous. But the latter got a hat trick last week.

We played far too centrally today. The problem was Spurs blocked the middle having gone one up and that's where we seemed to want to attack. I think we went too wide, too often under Potter. I'd like to see us mix the direction of attack up and be less predictable.

Talking to three Spurs mates after the game they all wondered why we didn't start with Mitoma. For me, we're using him correctly as an impact player but for that to work perfectly the opposition need to be tired. They're not going to work up much of a sweat sitting in shape deep and waiting for us to inevitably give them the ball.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I remember walking away from WHL in our second season of PL football the game where we played very defensively and looked like we were going to nick a point until we conceded in the 86th minute. Walking to the coach Spurs fans were saying how can you watch that cr*p. Well today despite winning I have to say Spurs football was not pretty tonight , no flair or character quite a lot of professional fouls and acting I felt things had gone full circle.

Previously i mentioned a spurs colleague said the same thing to me last season when we beat them. 0-1, go figure ????

Just messaged him about their dire performance (win aside) won’t hear back i suspect

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think RDZ is getting off lightly here tonight. If Potter managed the game like that, he’d be getting a lot of stick.

Potter managed plenty of games like that. Fulham away being the last one. A couple of weeks before he went off for the money though, rather than his second ever game in England.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think RDZ is getting off lightly here tonight. If Potter managed the game like that, he’d be getting a lot of stick.

Jesus give the man a chance - he's been managing in the Prem for 5 minutes and has faced Liverpool away and spurs.

We did lose games under Potter - Fulham was worse than tonight this season. We really weren't that bad at all; it wasn't like we were swept aside - we had some decent spells and on another day we take a point from that. We won't face many defences as stubborn as we did today this season

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Playing out from the back is good. Playing out from the back is actually the only way, pretty much compulsory - all good teams do it; they wouldn't be good teams if they didn't - we all know that. We've been told it often enough. Teams that don't do it are known as dinosaurs, playing a strange game called 'hoofball' (although there is no valid empirical evidence that dinosaurs ever actually did play hoofball).

Then there is 'fannying around at the back', hated by fans, boring to watch, liable to be 'jumped' by the opposition pressing and generally unsuccessful. We all know that too.

The trouble is, that there is a very fine line between 'playing out from the back' and 'fannying around at the back'. In the months before his lamented departure to realms where the government's policy on the higher rate of income tax is a very welcome tens of thousands of pounds annual bonus, Mr. Potter seemed to have pretty well sussed exactly where that fine line lies. It took him a while .................... I hope Roberto has sussed it too, or at least works it out quicker. Today's performance did seem to be more of the latter than the former.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here