Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Boris Johnson and Charlotte Edwardes

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well let's throw that back ( also can't believe in this day and age anyone asks the question any more )

Why do you think she never made the accusations 20 years ago ?
Contact between people working together still happens, quite legitimately - light hugs, high fives, etc. These days the lines drawn are different - people, especially men, have to be much more careful - so maybe what Boris did 20 years ago was a light, non-aggressive, non-sexual action that in those days wasn't considered a sexual or indecent assault (because it wasn't).
Now, of course, someone might be taking advantage of actions 20 years ago for publicity, or more likely in this case.to find more mud to sling at Boris because remainers are desperate to discredit him in any way possible in the hope of delaying, hindering or stopping Brexit.

I'll ask you a question.

When - if ever - do you think she would have made these allegations if he wasn't the Prime Minister trying to facilitate Brexit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Contact between people working together still happens, quite legitimately - light hugs, high fives, etc. These days the lines drawn are different - people, especially men, have to be much more careful - so maybe what Boris did 20 years ago was a light, non-aggressive, non-sexual action that in those days wasn't considered a sexual or indecent assault (because it wasn't).
Now, of course, someone might be taking advantage of actions 20 years ago for publicity, or more likely in this case.to find more mud to sling at Boris because remainers are desperate to discredit him in any way possible in the hope of delaying, hindering or stopping Brexit.

I'll ask you a question.

When - if ever - do you think she would have made these allegations if he wasn't the Prime Minister trying to facilitate Brexit?

Do we know she never made any allegation 20 years ago?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think it's telling people who know her well (Mogg and Hancock etc.) say they think she is trustworthy and sound, but stop short of saying they think Johnson is a wrong'un.

This is essentially tacit acknowledgement, but as they don't want to drag Johnson down, won't comment further.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

I'll ask you a question.

Her current partner "Robert Peston" ITV political reporter may have had a say in the matter.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You do realise that Boris Johnson and Brexit are not one and the same thing? Just how much are you prepared to turn a blind eye to, so that you get your own way?
I'm not.

Just how much are you prepared to welcome anything - absolutely anything - which might thwart Brexit?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether she did or didn`t, It wasn`t against the current Prime Minister so a thigh squeeze would have hardly made news

That’s part of my point. And I agree it’s up to the individual when they want to air things, if at all. But some are saying “why now?” when she may well have reported it at the time. We don’t know if she did or didn’t.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I'm not.

Just how much are you prepared to welcome anything - absolutely anything - which might thwart Brexit?

If Brexit is the right thing to do, it will still be right in 2 months, 2 years, whenever and it shouldn't be intrinsically linked to a wrong un.

I only what to delay long enough to see the EU tax dodging legislation come to pass, after that I will accept a compromise deal.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Her current partner "Robert Peston" ITV political reporter may have had a say in the matter.

Don't think so. He's a reasonably balanced commentator/reporter. He may personally be in favour of remain (I don't know if he is) but he works very hard to try and make impartial analyses.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Don't think so. He's a reasonably balanced commentator/reporter. He may personally be in favour of remain (I don't know if he is) but he works very hard to try and make impartial analyses.

Very hard not to be involved to some degree .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How coincidental and convenient.

Because anyone who works in the media is automatically a remainer and spouts fake news.

What a sad Trumpian dark dark hole you live in.

What you have failed to mention is the paper that reported it, the paper she works for - The Times. It also first reported the London Mayoral allegations.

Editorially it is very suspicious of Boris whilst being right wing politically and Murdoch owned.

Could it just be that the newspaper is investigating our current PM and his suitability for office and this has nothing to with Brexit ?

Do you honestly believe post-Brext they would hold back ?

I know it's difficult for you to separate the concepts of Brexit and Boris, but please try.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's amazing anyone even asks that question these days.
It's amazing that anyone is stupid enough to try to apply the norms and mores of the present time to events a generation ago. Times change - get used to it. Something you do as perfectly normal will be despised by youngsters who know it all in twenty years time - I don't know what, but one or more of your current attitudes will be condemned as 'dinosaur'.
1) It's her boss
2) He has power over her.
3) She is frightened of losing her job.
If her boss was trying to put his hand up her skirt, grope her, or demand or expect her to have sex with him, that is - and was - despicable. No-one disputes that.

4) It was viewed as "normal" by some men at the time and nothing would have happened if she had complained.
'It' - whatever it was - was probably regarded as normal by everyone, not just 'some' men. Nearly everyone anyway. All social changes have started off with a very small minority in favour - votes for women, homosexual equality, whatever. A huge majority of the population - not just men or straight people - was appalled by such ideas at one time. Times have changed. If you try and judge one of those huge majorities that felt the way they did back then by your present day ethics, you are a bigot and a fool.

Where would she go HR ? The company wouldn't have even had one back then.
Didn't have HR 20 years ago? F*** me - what planet were you living on?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I'll ask you a question.

Do you honestly think squeezing a woman's thigh under the table is non sexual?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What a load of bollocks...Do you live in the real world ?

Yeah and the modern one at that.

Of course it isn't a "coincidence" - she's got a new job at Times and comes out with this one. Pow !!!

But what incredible hypocrisy attacking the journalist for doing this politically. Tell me what Julia Hartley-Brewer's motivation was when she reported something similar about another MP ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
'It' - whatever it was - was probably regarded as normal by everyone, not just 'some' men.

It would seem Edwardes didn't regard it as normal if 20 years later she remembers her reaction and the fact it happend to someone else at the same time.

I don't really remember normal things that happened to me 20 years ago, more unusual/memorable things.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm sure Boris Johnson is telling the truth about this. I mean, it's not as if he is a proven, serial liar, is it? Oh ...

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Yes, that's his job, political commentators always want you to guess who they vote for.
I wouldn't be surprised if his bird discussed it with Pesto because of the fear of speculation that he out her up to it and damage his impartiality.
He probably said, if it's true go for it.
With Johnson's record and reputation he is as guilty as a puppy sitting next to pile of poo.
Just wish the other woman would speak up and nail the loathsome toad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here