Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Best Film you have probably never seen?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Both are great films but I fully understand your comment and that’s why I never watched The Boy In Striped Pyjamas for such a long time, however I gave in when my son, then about 12 wanted to watch it, I wasn’t going to refuse him.

I’ll need to be ‘up for’ any of those. I’m fully aware of the horrors in Europe up to 1945, we’ve been to heartbreaking places in Prague and Amsterdam, one day I’ll visit Auchwitz. But it’s almost as if dramas would add unnecessary salt into the wound for sensitive me.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My vote goes to Ridley Scott's 1977 debut The Duellists.

Made on two tenths of f*** all but got Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel to emerge from Hollywood to play the leading roles. The supporting actors must have been on minimum wage but are almost all of the great and good of British Theatre and film.

Let me give you:

Based on a Joseph Conrad novella it follows two French officers through the Napoleonic wars and their constant clashes over 15 years as one of the officers (Keitel) is frankly a psycho and loves duelling more than life.

The visuals are stunning considering the budget. A go to film every night when it is shit on TV e.g. tonight.
What's the weather like outside?
Do you ever go there?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And the award for the most ambiguous thread title goes to ….,,,,,

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As someone who is into music and enjoys humour, it's perhaps surprising that I've never seen Spinal Tap or The Rutles, both of which I'm told were pretty good. Still, as I don't care for movies and hate going to the cinema, I guess I'm comfortable with that........................

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Many others but for starters

Citizen Kane
Streetcar Named Desire
On The Waterfront
All except the first Star Wars rubbish
If you've never seen On the Waterfront you should at least watch this clip...

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Never seen Reservoir Dogs, for whatever reason never got round to it, or bizarrely, given my love of Boxing, Raging Bull.
I love a lot of Scorcese's films, but Raging Bull? Nope. I'm sure the performances are great, but it's flabby and too pleased with it's own profundity. Stick with 'Rocky'. The first one's great.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
This is probably the wrong thread to lob this in as it's not the Best Film, and I've seen it now, but has anyone else seen El Topo? I watched it last night and it's got to be the weirdest film ever made. Proper, proper weird.
Given your user name were you drawn to it thinking it would be a spaghetti western.... and probably weren't expecting a naked child on a horse, dwarves and various other weirdness

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It will happen sooner rather than later. No movie expert, but its one of the few "everyone have seen this"-movie that I haven't seen.
If you haven’t seen the Seventh Seal, I don’t believe you are Swedish 😎:wink:

(I haven’t - I find Ingmar Bergman films a bit *yawn* )

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m not sure what the question means, given your post.

You have seen it or you haven’t?

Sorry, confused
I've not seen some brilliant films.

So I've been told by people who have seen them.

I will illustrate how much I care with this drawing of a very tiny shit.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Obvious answer is that it is a great film but never gets shown on TV.

Your loss not mine, there is a thing called the interweb where you can see bits of it on YouTube...
For anyone interested in the OP's recommendation you can watch the full movie on Facebook....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Inconceivable!
Shrugs GIF

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Given your user name were you drawn to it thinking it would be a spaghetti western.... and probably weren't expecting a naked child on a horse, dwarves and various other weirdness
Spot on.
Mexican acid westerns are a new one on me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here