Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham back to england - yes or no?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
supaseagull said:
If it weren't for Beckham we wouldn't have even made through the group stages of the world cup last year.
Thats a bit of an irrlevence when we're looking to make an impact on a tournament two years on from that though, isn't it.

Beckham has been a fine player for England over the years, but his best years are clearly behind him now. He knows it, and if you're honest, you know it. Thats why he's going to be turning out in a series of exhibition matches stateside next season.

McLarens responsibility is to build an England team that will finally make a major impact at a Finals tournament, and he ain't going to do that by turning the clock back and indulging a 34 year old for "one more hurrah". I would MUCH rather he worked closely with Lennon and SWP to integrate them into the team and have them gain the vital experience they will come to NEED when the big games come along.

Putting Beckham back in now is a f***ing waste of EVERYONES time.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Easy 10 said:
So come next summer (if we qualify), who do you want on Englands right ? A young, pacey, up-and coming International who's played a season of proper competetive football in the Preimership ? Or a 34 year old player who's spent the last year winding down the fag-end of his career in the backwaters of the Yankie-Doodle Has-Beens League ?

IDIOTIC decision by McLaren, but then frankly I expected nothing less.

I didn't say I would necessarily play him, now or even next summer. But describing his inclusion in the squad as idiotic is well, idiotic. He's playing well week in, week out, for the team in pole position for the Spanish title.

And were you referring to Aaron Lennon
as the up and coming International? - if so, you're right I don't really want him playing on the right.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Thats a bit of an irrlevence when we're looking to make an impact on a tournament two years on from that though, isn't it.

Beckham has been a fine player for England over the years, but his best years are clearly behind him now. He knows it, and if you're honest, you know it. Thats why he's going to be turning out in a series of exhibition matches stateside next season.

McLarens responsibility is to build an England team that will finally make a major impact at a Finals tournament, and he ain't going to do that by turning the clock back and indulging a 34 year old for "one more hurrah". I would MUCH rather he worked closely with Lennon and SWP to integrate them into the team and have them gain the vital experience they will come to NEED when the big games come along.

We've done that whole aiming for the next World Cup/Euro Championship thing several times now. It failed. We should just get over it and like the likes of France and Italy just play the best team we have.

Was dropped waaaay too soon, and as a political move by mcCLOWN to establish his regime. I really think the RUDDY FACED PRICK was envious of a man who was talented, got loads of fame and enjoyed the attention he and his wife get.
That attention doesn't make him a poor player, or ruin the team, so as the best player for England in many years (and no, Rooney has NOT proven to have eclipsed anything - actually selfishly temperamental at the detriment of the squad) he should have been kept in until the point he shows to have slowed down or lost his touch.

"Turning the clock back" isn't a drastic move at all - how many games has he missed in a year? 6 maybe? And what have we achieved in those games? We are third in our qualifying group, and McClueless is gradually looking less cocksure about his political showpiece decision.

mcClown out, Beckham in.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Hell yes.

Also, for those who argue that he shouldn't play for England once he's in America - Henrik Larrson did a good job for Sweden despite playing in Scotland...

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Thank you Danny...

seeing as I got repeatadly barracked yesterday for being "ugly" - I'm trying to put the record straight!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
ROFL they are googly big eyes

blue_monstie.jpg

Col P

Feb 13, 2006
yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes how was he ever left out

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:

Glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking bringing back Beckham is a retrogade step. If he was still World Class I'd agree but on the International stage he's now one paced and that's slow and the energy he used to have over 90 mins is gone. Yes he can still cross and deliver a free kick but we should be looking to someone younger to take that responsibilty. That aside we really should stop this typical England mentality of constantly falling back on the old guard and never giving the youngsters time to establish themsleves BEFORE the Finals. If we don't make them this time, so be it, at least we'll have some experienced mid twenties players for the next major tournament.

Beckham is finished as an England player and about to join a circus league, get over it :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Icy Gull said:
Beckham is finished as an England player and about to join a circus league, get over it :)

I disagree I think that he still has more to offer in terms of supplying our forwards the opportunity to score. This is something we are failing to do. It is also reported that a loan move back to a premiership club is on the cards, during the winter, when the American League doesnt play apparently.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
I disagree I think that he still has more to offer in terms of supplying our forwards the opportunity to score. This is something we are failing to do. It is also reported that a loan move back to a premiership club is on the cards, during the winter, when the American League doesnt play apparently.

My point is that we should be looking forward not back and doing it with players who have a future for England. If you keep replacing young players with old timers after indifferent results, as England excel at, you miss the opportunity of giving our most talented youngsters games to establish themselves and become genuine Internationals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here