Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

America'a Cup - anyone else getting excited?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
*cough* Triangle *cough*
That was the Council Estate version....watching aging, freezing Kate O'Mara trying to look sexy on the windblown prow of a ferry in the southern North Sea was tough going.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was the Council Estate version....watching aging, freezing Kate O'Mara trying to look sexy on the windblown prow of a ferry in the southern North Sea was tough going.
Was it? I thought it was absolutely brilliant. :lolol:

(By brilliant, I mean Hilario)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I still go into town a lot because I work there. It is cleaner and more civilized than it ever was when I lived there as a student in the 70s, and as a young man starting a career in the late 80s.

But I don't go 'out' there much now, because, like you, I am old.

We have to face up to the fact that we are past it. Creature comforts matter now. Walking half way across London in the cold because its late and the tube has stopped and I can't afford a cab, but just had to go to that gig/club, and am happy as Larry, is a thing of youth and is now beyond my grasp.

London, however, will go on and on. Magnificent city.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I lived in a bedsit in Seymour Place off Marble Arch and don’t agree that the area is still magnificent. It could be an age thing I accept but Bayswater Railings and Speakers Corner on a Sunday were brilliant. Are they still? Do they even still happen? If so, I imagine it’s Tourist Central. Last time I walked down Oxford Street I made no connection with how it was in the 70s, rammed and unpleasant..for me.

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I went to a dinner in maybe the Grand just after the raising of the Mary Rose. Kate O’Mara and the girl/woman from Gregory’s Girl were on the same table as me. Kate O’Mara moved her food around the plate but didn’t eat it and the Gregory’s Girl looked like she was hating every minute of it. I didn’t take it personally :smile:

Both were very sexy looking though, way out of my league :lolol:

Edit - a quick Google would suggest I have got the Gregory’s Girl Film wrong, it was 100% not Clare Grogan. This will now annoy me as I know it was a very good looking actress from a Scottish film that was at my table.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm hopeful that Sir Ben (who's clearly a sailing genius) can repeat the miracle of 2013 when he was brought in as tactician for the Oracle USA team when they were 5-1 down, lost the next 3 races and then won 8 in a row to win 9-8 against New Zealand. Winning from 0-4 in a best of 13 series is relatively straightforward by comparison. If Ineos can get back to 4-4 I will be fairly confident of a British win.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I went to a dinner in maybe the Grand just after the raising of the Mary Rose. Kate O’Mara and the girl/woman from Gregory’s Girl were on the same table as me. Kate O’Mara moved her food around the plate but didn’t eat it and the Gregory’s Girl looked like she was hating every minute of it. I didn’t take it personally :smile:

Both were very sexy looking though, way out of my league :lolol:

Edit - a quick Google would suggest I have got the Gregory’s Girl Film wrong, it was 100% not Clare Grogan. This will now annoy me as I know it was a very good looking actress from a Scottish film that was at my table.
Dee Hepburn?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nasty? In what way and how is he hypocritical?

I do hope his investment in United goes tits up though
Do you think it all all hypocritical to be worth BILLIONS of pounds, live as a tax exile to avoid paying your share, and THEN invest in a commercial business and demand that the taxpayer build them a new facility (stadium)?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Anyway, back to the sailing. Hoping for decent wind and choppier conditions today, anything light and flat favours the Kiwis. With two races scheduled, it’s a key day. If NZ win both, it’s as good as over at 6-2. If GB win both, we’re all level at 4-4 and it’s everything to play for. (Splitting them one apiece always possible, too, I know.)

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Do you think it all all hypocritical to be worth BILLIONS of pounds, live as a tax exile to avoid paying your share, and THEN invest in a commercial business and demand that the taxpayer build them a new facility (stadium)?
Confess that I did not know about that demand and yes you are right.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nasty? In what way and how is he hypocritical?

I do hope his investment in United goes tits up though
Tony Bloom is a successful businessman and seems to treat everyone well. Ratcliffe seems to be a lot more confrontational and “if you don’t like it, you can go elsewhere.

hypocritical? He was a Brexiteer. When he was sorting things out for his vanity project INEOS Grenadier, he was in advanced negotiations to buy a Ford engine plant in South Wales (Bridgend) Complete with incentives from the Welsh Senedd and so on. He abandoned the deal to buy a factory in …… Germany, specifically because it was in the European trading area. Do as I say, not as I do!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Anyway, back to the sailing… oh.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tony Bloom is a successful businessman and seems to treat everyone well. Ratcliffe seems to be a lot more confrontational and “if you don’t like it, you can go elsewhere.

hypocritical? He was a Brexiteer. When he was sorting things out for his vanity project INEOS Grenadier, he was in advanced negotiations to buy a Ford engine plant in South Wales (Bridgend) Complete with incentives from the Welsh Senedd and so on. He abandoned the deal to buy a factory in …… Germany, specifically because it was in the European trading area. Do as I say, not as I do!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/jim-ratcliffe-billionaire-brexiteer-who-19441353

sorry, the factory is in France, not Germany, but it’s an ex Mercedes Benz site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here