Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

America'a Cup - anyone else getting excited?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Starting to think that Ben Ainslie should have stuck to Dinghy racing, losing the lead so quickly having taken it at the start is a complete NO NO at this level of sailing

Heading for a 7-0
It's a very expensive jolly for ex Public Schoolboys, I have absolutely no interest.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It's a very expensive jolly for ex Public Schoolboys, I have absolutely no interest.
A jolly it is not! Massive amount of skill and tactics involved. As an ex dinghy sailing instructor I bloody love it although foil sailing is way out of my comfort zone.

Tony Bloom is a public school boy, do you have no interest in the club he uses for his “jolly”???

Any different to Jim Ratcliffe and his investment in United, Mercedes and the Americas Cup?

I have no interest in cricket btw, nothing to with it being dull 99% of the time :wink:

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Typically, having seen the first four races, I wasn’t able to watch today’s. 😡

But thank god we’ve avoided the 7-0 whitewash, because it had looked like that was distinctly possible.

Really hope for some slightly stronger winds for the next races, as NZ are clearly quicker in the light winds.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The technology and skills involved are incredible.

Under normal circumstances I would be wanting team GB to win, but as the repulsive arse Offshore Jim Ratcliffe is involved I’ve even taken to practising the haka cheering on NZ.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A jolly it is not! Massive amount of skill and tactics involved. As an ex dinghy sailing instructor I bloody love it although foil sailing is way out of my comfort zone.

Tony Bloom is a public school boy, do you have no interest in the club he uses for his “jolly”???

Any different to Jim Ratcliffe and his investment in United, Mercedes and the Americas Cup?

I have no interest in cricket btw, nothing to with it being dull 99% of the time :wink:
I bet you've got the Box Set of The Onedin Line ?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Under normal circumstances I would be wanting team GB to win, but as the repulsive arse Offshore Jim Ratcliffe is involved I’ve even taken to practising the haka cheering on NZ.
Well if our country backed our Americas Cup challenge you’d have a point. Would you rather we didn’t even enter? NZ govt backs the New Zealand entry along with a Middle Eastern airline. Weird take by you criticising a Brit backing it, is something to do with Manchester and Ratcliffe that irks you?

How very un British to back the New Zealanders over Brits :angry:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Well if our country backed our Americas Cup challenge you’d have a point. Would you rather we didn’t even enter? NZ govt backs the New Zealand entry along with a Middle Eastern airline. Weird take by you criticising a Brit backing it, is something to do with Manchester and Ratcliffe that irks you?

How very un British to back the New Zealanders over Brits :angry:
What is it about the hypocritical, tax dodging, billionaire, Monaco resident, Jim Ratcliffe that irks you?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
What is it about the hypocritical, tax dodging, billionaire, Monaco resident, Jim Ratcliffe that irks you?

Nothing, I don’t approve as such but it’s not uncommon for ridiculously rich people to do this. Happy for him to fund the Americas Cup and F1, both things I enjoy :shrug:

Changing your allegiance to another country because of it is just plain weird imo. Maybe @El Presidente is a more of a fan of a UAE airline, one of the larger NZ backers.

Before he left for Monaco, Ratcliffe was the UK’s third-highest individual taxpayer, paying £110m to the exchequer in 2017-18, according to the Sunday Times tax list. Crucify the bastard.

Very easy to criticise until it’s YOU paying that amount of tax

Last edited:
Reactions: cjd

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I believe it's a niche event that has a lot of country pride going for most of the people that really pay attention to it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nothing, I don’t approve as such but it’s not uncommon for ridiculously rich people to do this. Happy for him to fund the Americas Cup and F1, both things I enjoy :shrug:

Changing your allegiance to another country because of it is just plain weird imo. Maybe @El Presidente is a more of a fan of a UAE airline, one of the larger NZ backers.

Before he left for Monaco, Ratcliffe was the UK’s third-highest individual taxpayer, paying £110m to the exchequer in 2017-18, according to the Sunday Times tax list. Crucify the bastard.

Very easy to criticise until it’s YOU paying that amount of tax
On what income?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
On what income?
Enough to think, nah f*** this I’m off to Monaco. Oh to have that problem eh? Would I rather live, as a rich man, in Monaco or London, no brainer for me tbh :shrug:

I no longer like London at all btw

Weather would also play a big part for me, especially as you get older.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Enough to think, nah f*** this I’m off to Monaco. Oh to have that problem eh? Would I rather live, as a rich man, in Monaco or London, no brainer for me tbh :shrug:

I no longer like London at all btw

Weather would also play a big part for me, especially as you get older.
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.
So they say, I say bollocks.

Give me a country home or somewhere in the sun abroad every day of the week and twice on Sundays at my age. Been there, done London as a young man and I bloody loved it. Seriously dislike the hectic dirty place these days, it’s not the City it was when I lived there in the early 70s :shrug:

I dive into the shower on a return from London these days :smile:

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Glad I’m not alone in wishing for absolutely everything that Jim Ratcliffe in fails miserably - nasty selfish and hypocritical.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A jolly it is not! Massive amount of skill and tactics involved. As an ex dinghy sailing instructor I
Let me stop you there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So they say, I say bollocks.

Give me a country home or somewhere in the sun abroad every day of the week and twice on Sundays at my age. Been there, done London as a young man and I bloody loved it. Seriously dislike the hectic dirty place these days, it’s not the City it was when I lived there in the early 70s :shrug:

I dive into the shower on a return from London these days :smile:
I still go into town a lot because I work there. It is cleaner and more civilized than it ever was when I lived there as a student in the 70s, and as a young man starting a career in the late 80s.

But I don't go 'out' there much now, because, like you, I am old.

We have to face up to the fact that we are past it. Creature comforts matter now. Walking half way across London in the cold because its late and the tube has stopped and I can't afford a cab, but just had to go to that gig/club, and am happy as Larry, is a thing of youth and is now beyond my grasp.

London, however, will go on and on. Magnificent city.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here