Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] A thread full of Iconic photos

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Sharbat Gula aka 'the afghan girl' Its one of the most iconic pics of the 20th century taken by photographer Steve McCurry
I went to a talk by Steve McCurry and was a bit disappointed by his methods, while appreciating his honesty. There's no denying the images are incredible, but some of his very striking more candid looking photos are basically set up and planned which diminished them a bit for me - I think it was this one he described the process and it was pretty much a choreographed and constructed shot almost like it was done to a marketing brief, not the travel reportage I'd always interpreted it as. I had him on a similar level to Sebastio Salgado, Don McCullin, James Nachtwey for caputring the moment etc until that talk but can't quite look at his photos the same anymore.

Boy-In-Mid-Flight-Jodhpur-India-2007-Steve-McCurry.-Copyright-Steve-McCurry_Magnum-Photos-and-Image-courtesy-of-SOL-LDN.jpg

Professor Plum

NSC Patron
Jul 27, 2024
The one of Katherine Switzer fighting to finish the marathon make me genuinely cry. I have no idea why. Perhaps it’s defiance in the face of such bullying. It’s an astonishing feat and an astonishing picture .
The most memorable part of my Boston Marathon experience in 2009 wasn't from the race itself but from the expo, the day before. In a small darkened breakout room, Kathy Switzer spoke for 15 minutes or so about her iconic unofficial marathon in 1967. The detailed story behind her entering and running (as the deliberately gender-neutral 'KV Switzer') is well worth looking up.

A few miles into the race, word spread via the press boys to the race director, Jock Semple, that there was a girl out there on the course. Astonished and horrified, he located the guilty party and tried to drag her off the road. With the help of fellow (male) runners who protected her all the way to the end, Switzer was able to escape Semple’s aggression, and went on to finish in 4:20. The photographs are many and famous, and to Semple’s embarrassment, made the front pages of newspapers around the world the following day. Reluctantly, he had to concede that perhaps it really was possible for women to run 26 miles, a claim he had previously denied. It was an ungracious climb-down. But the rules were duly changed, and women’s marathon running became established. Later, as an official entrant, she completed Boston in a creditable 2:50.

The atmosphere in that room in 2009 was profoundly moving. I heard a couple of women weeping as she went through the story. And at the end, as she received her standing ovation, there can't have been a dry eye in the place. Certainly mine weren't. Like @The Clamp, I don't know what it is that jangles those emotions with this one, but it absolutely does.

Last edited:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The most memorable part of my Boston Marathon experience in 2009 wasn't from the race itself but from the expo, the day before. In a small darkened breakout room, Kathy Switzer spoke for 15 minutes or so about her iconic unofficial marathon in 1967. The detailed story behind her entering and running (as the deliberately gender-neutral 'KV Switzer') is well worth looking up.

A few miles into the race, word spread via the press boys to the race director, Jock Semple, that there was a girl out there on the course. Astonished and horrified, he located the guilty party and tried to drag her off the road. With the help of fellow (male) runners who protected her all the way to the end, Switzer was able to escape Semple’s aggression, and went on to finish in a creditable 4:20. The photographs are many and famous, and to Semple’s embarrassment, made the front pages of newspapers around the world the following day. Reluctantly, he had to concede that perhaps it really was possible for women to run 26 miles, a claim he had previously denied. It was an ungracious climb-down. But the rules were duly changed, and women’s marathon running became established. Later, as an official entrant, she completed Boston in a creditable 2:50.

The atmosphere in that room in 2009 was profoundly moving. I heard a couple of women weeping as she went through the story. And at the end, as she received her standing ovation, there can't have been a dry eye in the place. Certainly mine weren't. Like @The Clamp, I don't know what it is that jangles those emotions with this one, but it absolutely does.
Thanks.

I was totally unaware of that story.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

A few miles into the race, word spread via the press boys to the race director, Jock Semple, that there was a girl out there on the course. Astonished and horrified, he located the guilty party and tried to drag her off the road. With the help of fellow (male) runners who protected her all the way to the end, Switzer was able to escape Semple’s aggression, and went on to finish in a creditable 4:20. The photographs are many and famous, and to Semple’s embarrassment, made the front pages of newspapers around the world the following day. Reluctantly, he had to concede that perhaps it really was possible for women to run 26 miles, a claim he had previously denied. It was an ungracious climb-down. But the rules were duly changed, and women’s marathon running became established. Later, as an official entrant, she completed Boston in a creditable 2:50.

Fantastic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here