Gary Hart's Stalker

Jul 17, 2013
Gary Hart's Bush
1729781319536.png
1729781329820.png

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I went to a talk by Steve McCurry and was a bit disappointed by his methods, while appreciating his honesty. There's no denying the images are incredible, but some of his very striking more candid looking photos are basically set up and planned which diminished them a bit for me - I think it was this one he described the process and it was pretty much a choreographed and constructed shot almost like it was done to a marketing brief, not the travel reportage I'd always interpreted it as. I had him on a similar level to Sebastio Salgado, Don McCullin, James Nachtwey for caputring the moment etc until that talk but can't quite look at his photos the same anymore.

Boy-In-Mid-Flight-Jodhpur-India-2007-Steve-McCurry.-Copyright-Steve-McCurry_Magnum-Photos-and-Image-courtesy-of-SOL-LDN.jpg
You're not alone in this Happy Exile. Many people have said the same thing.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks.

I was totally unaware of that story.
As was I - to my shame.

As others have said this is a great thread. I had no idea Wembley was built in such a 'rural' location (#159). Although I do know it was built on the site of Britain's abortive attempt to build a rival to the Eiffel Tower.

And one small moan: I was disappointed to see that the iconic photo of Phan Ti Kim Puc (sp. the Vietnamese child burned by napalm) was blurred. That was rather the whole point of the picture: the screaming naked burnt child. Yes it was horrific, but it doesn't have nearly the same impact when the focal point of the picture is now just a grey blob.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
And one small moan: I was disappointed to see that the iconic photo of Phan Ti Kim Puc (sp. the Vietnamese child burned by napalm) was blurred. That was rather the whole point of the picture: the screaming naked burnt child. Yes it was horrific, but it doesn't have nearly the same impact when the focal point of the picture is now just a grey blob.

Post #16 of this very thread...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
H21356-L366425412_original.JPG
Arguably one of Cartier-Bresson’s most famous photos. He popularised 35mm photography, defined the phrase and practice of capturing “the decisive moment” and probably founded the idea of street photography too. He would pretend to sneeze or raise a tissue to his face so no one would notice him raising the camera to his eye, focusing manually by instinct and taking the photo all in one seamless motion, and his framing was so good he’d print to the edge of the negative without cropping.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here