Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A FULL thread of POSITIVES.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
We can go into next season expecting to win most games rather than shelling out 50 quid to see us get mauled by Chelsea, Man Utd etc.

I'm pretty sure most Reading fans had more fun last season than this.

We had some hiccups along the way but we still managed to finish 4th.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've seen every team in this division this season and I don't see too many with players like Wayne Bridge at left-back, or Kuszczak in goal, or international/Champions League defenders, or two strikers bought for £4.5m, or a 38-cap Spanish international and former Valencia man in midfield, or two £1m wingers to choose from. If it lacks depth then it's because our manager has an abysmal record in the transfer market. We had one of the best two squads in the division and we blew it because of our ineffective style of football and a lack of focus in the first half of the season. Piss poor management.

You seriously are an idiot. Poyet's transfer record this season is amazing. I genuinely can't believe you actually are a supporter of the club. Barring Dobbie he made some brilliant signings and we made clear progress this season and only a few serial moaners can't see that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've seen every team in this division this season and I don't see too many with players like Wayne Bridge at left-back, or Kuszczak in goal, or international/Champions League defenders, or two strikers bought for £4.5m, or a 38-cap Spanish international and former Valencia man in midfield, or two £1m wingers to choose from. If it lacks depth then it's because our manager has an abysmal record in the transfer market. We had one of the best two squads in the division and we blew it because of our ineffective style of football and a lack of focus in the first half of the season. Piss poor management.

But what DOES Spanish Dave ACTUALLY do?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Number 36 - I can still watch Match of the Day and have it as 'another world'. It's still magical, which is nice.

Number 37 - I get to watch Michael Brown pick up his traditional booking for Leeds and laugh.

Number 38 - I get to laugh at QPR. Same as point 3 but I'm REALLY looking forward to that.

Number 39 - THE RETURN OF BOOBY ZAMORA (against us, I assume)

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am pleased when we're doing well, but unfortunately the entire season I have felt we were underachieving. Poyet is fine when he gets the money to sign Bridge, Upson, Kuszczak etc (you'd have to be a total idiot not to sign these players at Championship level), but as somebody above pointed out we lack depth, and that's because he has pissed millions up the wall on the likes of Harley, Hoskins, Crofts, CMS etc.

I think it goes without saying RDM is the man we need. He's proven at a far higher level than Poyet ever will be, but he would retain certain aspects of our style so that it wouldn't be too big a chance. GET. HIM. IN.

Don't you get it though? Poyet is the reason these players sign. They are attracted to the style of play he has and the fact he is a big name and quite persuasive. I think CMS has not quite been worth the money but it hasn't stopped Norwich bidding more than we paid for him in two transfer windows. Hoskins and Crofts have both been unlucky with injuries, not Gus' fault so Harley is the only one you can really say was a waste (and he cost £300K which is nothing in the Championship).

Of those four players, three of them were signed last season and only one this season. Gus had a mixed first season in the Championship transfer wise but has learnt from his mistakes and made some amazing signings this season. I don't understand how you think we have under achieved. Since Ulloa and Upson came in, we have been fantastic but sadly just couldn't continue it last night.

As for RDM, if Poyet goes I would like him but I am not convinced he would want to go from managing a Champions League winner to the Championship in a year. He was also sacked by West Brom in the Premier League as his tactics were questioned. I think he would be a decent choice but I genuinely hope we get another season out of Gus. Whoever the manager is next season, whether it is Gus or a new manager, we need to get behind them and what may well be a much changed team.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I forgot Dobbie. Bloody hell, that was the biggest cock-up of all.

How hard is it to sign players from Man City, Athletic Bilbao, Man United, Valencia etc and trust they will do well in the Championship? I reckon even you or I could do that. So of course he's made some good signings, this is a squad I think should have finished in the top two so I realise we have a number of quality players. But overall his record is still terrible, when you take into consideration the resources available to him. With the money we have spent and the amount we must be paying out on wages each week, we still have issues he has totally failed to address. That's why he's a serial failure in my book, and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.

I think we are like a hugely scaled-down version of Man City. We have spent so much money that of course we have quality players that should have been the best in the league, but because of woeful management (both in the transfer market and in the dugout on a Saturday) we fell short. Let's hope Tony Bloom follows in the footsteps of the Man City owners and pulls that trigger.

You're too much of a negative Nelly. This is a thread of positivity.

Number 50 - I've added someone to my ignore list.

Number 51 - The teams coming down (minus Wigan) don't concern me all that much in terms of them making a real promotion push.

Number 52 - We'll be nice and high on the leagues attendance charts.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

How hard is it to sign players from Man City, Athletic Bilbao, Man United, Valencia etc and trust they will do well in the Championship? I reckon even you or I could do that. So of course he's made some good signings, this is a squad I think should have finished in the top two so I realise we have a number of quality players. But overall his record is still terrible, when you take into consideration the resources available to him. With the money we have spent and the amount we must be paying out on wages each week, we still have issues he has totally failed to address. That's why he's a serial failure in my book, and if that makes me an idiot then so be it.

I think we are like a hugely scaled-down version of Man City. We have spent so much money that of course we have quality players that should have been the best in the league, but because of woeful management (both in the transfer market and in the dugout on a Saturday) we fell short. Let's hope Tony Bloom follows in the footsteps of the Man City owners and pulls that trigger.

Why do you only post when we lose? I don't like getting personal but I will you're a **** now **** off.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I would imagine it is pretty heard to sign players who have been playing at top clubs when you manage Brighton. I imagine there was a fair bit of competition for all of them and Gus persuaded them to join. Can you imagine Holloway attracting players of that quality because I can't.

How you can say Gus' record in the transfer market is terrible, I don't understand. Yes he has made mistakes (and Dobbie we are getting our money back for), but he has made some amazing signings. I think Bridcutt will go this summer but not for less than £5 million having signed him for free. He also signed Brezovan, Ankergren, Kuszczak, Calderon, Bruno, Painter, Lopez etc all on free transfers and they have all done great jobs at some point for us (although they are not all good enough now). Players like Orlandi, Barnes, Greer have been signed for small sums and done fantastically and he has improved players like El Abd so much during his time here.

Luckily, you appear to be in the minority even on here and certainly among fans even when the disappointment of last night is still raw.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Number 53 - We'll be better equipped to compete in the Premier League when we go up next year

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If that unexceptional Hull City squad can get promoted, we can certainly do the same next season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I can now wash my "lucky" shirt. It's beginning to smell after being worn for the last 11 games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here