Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora going to World Cup ?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think the choice is Heskey or Bobby - Heskey should go unless his form is hopeless from now until May, or he gets permanently ousted by Carew (possible), or gets injured.

Five strikers - Rooney, Defoe, Crouch are definites. Probably Heskey. Then one from Carlton Cole, Agbonlahor, Bent and Zamora. On form I might pick Zamora, but Agbonlahor does give you something a bit different from the other four, and Bent's form is also picking up. Very close.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Maybe demolishing a Juve defence in Front of Capello will just change his mind who knows..the further that cart horse Heskey is away from the squad the better.

Thanks for telling us that. You see we didn't know you didn't like Heskey after you've posted it about 50 thousand times. yawn.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
are bookie's over there providing odds for fringe players making the squad? It seems you can bet on almost anything nowadays.
Would be worth a lazy flutter.....

example45

Jan 18, 2010
i think he should be coz goals to games he is fourth only rooney, defore and bent in front of him, Capello is not going to take bent and defore

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At least seven minutes !

i think if he gets a run out in the last 2 friendlies and happens to score i would err on the side of capello including him in the squad, bobby is now at the hieght of his game and if he ever does play for england again now is the time, capello seems a bit of a current form kind of manager and hopefully bobby can finish the season strong , i can see why so called pundits dismiss him as a inclusion because he does tend to miss the odd sitter, but the day a manager gets swayed by what jeff thompson and alan hansen say will be the day to take up golf.

At least seven minutes !

Rooney, Crouch, Zamora + one other ?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It is John Terry who is the f***ing idiot.

Anyone saying that Zamora is going to do the Heskey role better than Heskey is a f***ing idiot.

It is John Terry who is the f***ing idiot. A few years ago, I would have said Heskey ewas better than Zamora, but not now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Capello played half of his career with Juve and managed them to 2 league titles (albeit later stripped for match-fixing). Bobby's performance last night WILL resonate with him because he did well against a team close to Capello's heart.

That said, Bobby had two clear chances against Man Utd the other week and fluffed them both.

I think Bobby's performances in Europe and his ability to link play up have seriously put him in contention for a place - I don't really think he's been in contention before now.

Darren Bent and Carlton Cole don't have the opportunity to perform in Europe or Wembley that is presently open to Agbonlahor or Zamora. I'd say the pecking order was: Cole, Agbonlahor, Zamora then Bent.

Personally, I think Crouch is a quite different player to Heskey and therefore if you're going to play a certain way and start Heskey then having a like-for-like replacement for an injury prone player like him makes sense, and I think that's part of the attraction of Zamora.

Beckham's injury has helped because it's more likely Walcott will now be taken as a right-sided midfield option, opening up that 5th striker berth. Then there's the 'secret weapon' factor. How much of Zamora's success in Europe is due to the fact the opposition knows little about him?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Anyone saying that Zamora is going to do the Heskey role better than Heskey is a f***ing idiot.

1 f***ing idiot here then.

If taking the presure of Rooney,creating and scoring goals is Heskeys roll...then Zamora does it better than Heskey currently and has done for the last 6 months.

Ask any central defender in the premiership who they dont want to play against at the moment..... plenty would say Zamora, i doubt Heskey would get a mention.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least with Heskey he appears to be able to handle the pressure of the big occasion.

I worry about Bobby's ability on the really big occasion: his shocking opening penalty in the Cup Final shoot-out with Liverpool, his inability to perform for Spurs, his fluffed volley against Man Utd last week, and the fact that it was poor confidence in the first place that led to his goal drought.

If Capello doesn't pick Bobby soon then that implies Fabio doesn't fancy him, which hardly does wonders for confidence anyway.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
1 f***ing idiot here then.

If taking the presure of Rooney,creating and scoring goals is Heskeys roll...then Zamora does it better than Heskey currently and has done for the last 6 months.

Ask any central defender in the premiership who they dont want to play against at the moment..... plenty would say Zamora, i doubt Heskey would get a mention.

I always knew you were a f***ing idiot.
xx

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I hope he goes. Best substitute you can get. The LESS hype the better. Bobby Z works bests when the opposition forgets how dangerous he is!

Z is better than that Heskey faggot. Better than Long Crouch as well. Alan Johnson ???

What the f*** are you going on about? :nono:

ps I'd love to see Bobby on the plane to SA, but I'd be mighty surprised if it happened. Shirley he deserves a go in an impending friendly? :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This discussion seems to extend beyond the albion and fulham fans, and the discussion is now on sports news, so I think while some of us may be biased, it's not completely out of the realms of possibility. He is having a fantastic season.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Capello clearly isnt going to take Zamora sadly.

Rooney
Defoe
Crouch
Heskey

and if he takes a 5th i think he will go with Agbonlahor for something different.

However Zamora is light years ahead of Heskey, and if Capello is true to his word and picks the form players then Heskey cant get in the squad let alone the side.

Defoe is now injured, he has a tear in his hamstring, Bobby's chances of making the squad just got better!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
At least with Heskey he appears to be able to handle the pressure of the big occasion.

I worry about Bobby's ability on the really big occasion: his shocking opening penalty in the Cup Final shoot-out with Liverpool, his inability to perform for Spurs, his fluffed volley against Man Utd last week, and the fact that it was poor confidence in the first place that led to his goal drought.

If Capello doesn't pick Bobby soon then that implies Fabio doesn't fancy him, which hardly does wonders for confidence anyway.

You dont know if he can handle it unless hes given a chance. Everyone misses penalties..even stuart pearce.
He never got a chance at Spurs, and the fluffed volley against Utd...crikey i take it a forward should take every chance he gets then..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
crikey i take it a forward should take every chance he gets then..

Interestingly they compared Rooney, Messi and Ronaldo's stats on sky sports.

I might be a little off, but from what I remember Ronaldo was top in goals/ game with 18 in 22
messi had 31 in 43
Rooney had 33 in 46

What was interesting was the other stats:

50% of Ronaldo's shots were on target
41% of Messi's were
only 31% of Rooney's shots were on target.

Worse, only 20% of Rooney's shots result in goals. (I can't remember the others' but it was higher).

Rooney get's less than a third of his shots on target.

Not sure what this adds to the argument for Zamora, just seemed like an appropriate place to mention this.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
With Fulham having the slightly easier draw in the UEFA cup/league/whatever I cannot help but think that Zamora now has a platform to impress Capello. Zamora's chance of getting to South Africa could well be directly linked to Fulham's progression in Europe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here