Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora going to World Cup ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Zzzzz...how are some people STILL saying "i don't know if fabio will take heskey" etc.

Heskey is nailed on, definite, no questions, ON the plane to SA. It's a real shame you don't UNDERSTAND what he does for the team (despite numerous players/managers practically spelling it out in the press) but you'll just have to carry on not getting it.

Zamora is up against Crouch, not Heskey.
I know what you mean. It's like these people who obviously don't know anything about football who still think Rafa Benitez is a shit man manager, despite the countless trophies he's won.

Just ask your old mates Fabio and Martin, I'm fairly sure they agree with me. :lolol:

(I agree with you about Heskey, btw)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm not saying he's not good enough, I'm saying his form warrants consideration of selection but he's failed to take opportunities throughout his career. Before this season he'd consistently failed to score against decent Premier League opposition on a weekly basis, and we're talking some spectacular misses to boot.

How about the season he and Tevez kept West Ham in the Premiership and he came second in the fans player of the season award? I seem to remember him scoring against some pretty decent opposition then, including scoring against and ripping Arsenal apart if I'm not mistaken. The next season he was out injured for most of it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know what you mean. It's like these people who obviously don't know anything about football who still think Rafa Benitez is a shit man manager, despite the countless trophies he's won.

Just ask your old mates Fabio and Martin, I'm fairly sure they agree with me. :lolol:

(I agree with you about Heskey, btw)

It's fairly well documented that Rafa is a poor man manager, even back in Spain days. Listen to this week's Football Weekly for evidence.

In the last FOUR years he's won sh*t all while spending sh*tloads - that is undisputable.

Let's not open that argument up again after Chesney had the definitive last word in the previous thread.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know what you mean.

It's nothing like it, by the way. A LOT of people think Rafa has lost it, plenty of respectable people suggest that his time is up.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Zzzzz...how are some people STILL saying "i don't know if fabio will take heskey" etc.

Heskey is nailed on, definite, no questions, ON the plane to SA. It's a real shame you don't UNDERSTAND what he does for the team (despite numerous players/managers practically spelling it out in the press) but you'll just have to carry on not getting it.

I understand perfectly what Heskey does for the team. And he's good at it. But Zamora's better at that role, and scores a lot more goals.

Heskey, however, obviously has a lot more experience in and England shirt and the team are use to playing with him, which is why Capello will take him. So I agree it's not betweeen Zamora and Heskey. It's quite annoying though has Capello explicitly said that he would pick players on form, and not reputation, and so Zamora should have been given a chance in the Egypt game to see what he could do.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
For me you need to take players in form going into a World Cup, I mean if Owen was fit would he automatically go just because? No...he would'nt!

Heskey: With 32 Games and just 5 Goals this season is'nt good enough, sure its not his game to score and he mainly acts as "Flick On Guy" but this season he has been poor. when I've seen him on TV he certainly has'nt shone like he used too. I would like to find out how many of those 32 games he came on as a sub and how many assists hes got though, the latter being an integral part of his game.

Zamora: Without the rose tinited specs on he has had a great season thus far, sure he's shown a lack of experience in some games and looked rubbish at times, but overall his game this season has been fantastic...and Fulham fans will agree. Running Man Utd (the first time round that is!) and now Juventus ragged proves he can play against international defenders and win. If he keeps banging them in and playing to this top level for the remainder of the season I'd personally take him to the WC. Plus with 39 games and 16 goals he is ahead of Heskey at least in the goalscoring department...and goals win you prizes!

Crouch: Been used as a sub a helluva lot by 'Arry, sure he scores against shit international sides but is that enough? with 32 Games (god knows how many as a sub!) and 10 goals he for me comes 2nd to Zamora, his game is not great this season.

Again if anyone knows of the SUB and ASSIST stats for all three then please do post them!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Crouch and Zamora both have 6 assists, and Heskey has either has 1 or 0 (would take me too long to find out). That's only in the Premiership though. And assists can be misleading, for example if A plays B in with a terrific through ball and B then passes it onto C for a tap in then B will be credited with the assist, even though it was clearly A who created the goal.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
For me you need to take players in form going into a World Cup, I mean if Owen was fit would he automatically go just because? No...he would'nt!

Heskey: With 32 Games and just 5 Goals this season is'nt good enough, sure its not his game to score and he mainly acts as "Flick On Guy" but this season he has been poor. when I've seen him on TV he certainly has'nt shone like he used too. I would like to find out how many of those 32 games he came on as a sub and how many assists hes got though, the latter being an integral part of his game.

Zamora: Without the rose tinited specs on he has had a great season thus far, sure he's shown a lack of experience in some games and looked rubbish at times, but overall his game this season has been fantastic...and Fulham fans will agree. Running Man Utd (the first time round that is!) and now Juventus ragged proves he can play against international defenders and win. If he keeps banging them in and playing to this top level for the remainder of the season I'd personally take him to the WC. Plus with 39 games and 16 goals he is ahead of Heskey at least in the goalscoring department...and goals win you prizes!

Crouch: Been used as a sub a helluva lot by 'Arry, sure he scores against shit international sides but is that enough? with 32 Games (god knows how many as a sub!) and 10 goals he for me comes 2nd to Zamora, his game is not great this season.

Again if anyone knows of the SUB and ASSIST stats for all three then please do post them!

*Picks blackburn programme off shelf*

Crouch has started 18 league games and 5 cup

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Crouch and Zamora both have 6 assists, and Heskey has either has 1 or 0 (would take me too long to find out). That's only in the Premiership though. And assists can be misleading, for example if A plays B in with a terrific through ball and B then passes it onto C for a tap in then B will be credited with the assist, even though it was clearly A who created the goal.

yeah good final point there, overall from watching on TV for me Heskey has been poo and Zamora just simply better.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Also, you have to take into account that Crouch and Heskey are playing in better teams.

So are the better players in their sides make them look better than they are?

Whereas a side like Fulham isn't expected to do well so the players have to perform to a higher level to lift their side further up the table or further in cup competitions as there is 'less quality' within the side?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Seeing as Heskey is the latest bait lets look at the STATS as they never lie!

This Season:
Games: 32 - Goals: 5

Zamora this season:
Games: 39 - Goals: 16 (not sure of this includes last night)

what would be inetersting is the amount of Assists they both have (dont have those stats) as this plays a decent part into both of their games.

EDIT got Heskeys stats wrong, changed now

Add to that Zamora plays up front alone....

Heskey is also playing in a stronger side...with better wide players delivering better crosses...

It dosent make good reading for Heskey in truth does it. Hes living on former performances, Capello always said he would pick the form players and leave out the ones that were not....

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So are the better players in their sides make them look better than they are?

Whereas a side like Fulham isn't expected to do well so the players have to perform to a higher level to lift their side further up the table or further in cup competitions as there is 'less quality' within the side?

My point is that there will be more opportunities for players in better sides to score/assist due to the quality of crosses, passes, etc.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton

I'm not so sure he's nailed on anymore, a year ago maybe, but he's had a pretty crap season, he's 32, and I think Rooney has developed into a player who no longer needs a plank along side him to create goals. The question really is, how will Fabio set the team up? Rooney has been amazing this season for Manure, but has usually played as a lone striker. Is that the way to get the best from Rooney, Fergie obviously seems to think so, and if so, where does Heskey or for that matter, Zamora, fit into the team? They only get a look in if Rooney is injured or suspended and quite frankly if that happens, we have f**k all chance of winning anyway!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The problem for Zamora to break into the squad is that it is a world cup year, if the tournament was next year, I bet he would have then played in at least one of the friendlies and Capello would have more of an idea whether to risk including him in a squad for the World Cup.

Because he hasn't made his debut, he is seen as a bigger risk than taking Crouch, Heskey, Cole etc, who have all played at that level and as much as i would love for him to go, I think Capello will air of the side of caution and he will stay behind.

The only thing that may persuade Capello to take the risk is if he can continue his rich vein of form for the rest of the season.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not so sure he's nailed on anymore, a year ago maybe, but he's had a pretty crap season, he's 32, and I think Rooney has developed into a player who no longer needs a plank along side him to create goals. The question really is, how will Fabio set the team up? Rooney has been amazing this season for Manure, but has usually played as a lone striker. Is that the way to get the best from Rooney, Fergie obviously seems to think so, and if so, where does Heskey or for that matter, Zamora, fit into the team? They only get a look in if Rooney is injured or suspended and quite frankly if that happens, we have f**k all chance of winning anyway!

Wise words in my opinion.:thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'd go along with this. It was often assumed that Rooney was most effective when playing alongside a target man. However, he has since proved he'll score goals playing up front on his own. But the fact is, Heskey works well with Rooney, so I suspect he'll go to SA for that reason alone. The only question is whether or not he will start.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
ask villa fans if they'd prefer heskey or zamora in their team. i bet 99% would pick zamora.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here