Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zamora going to World Cup ?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The only chance Booby has is if either Crouch or Heskey gets injured. Its a shame but his improved form has come just a little too late and he will probably be too old for the Euros.

Even if he doesnt go to the World Cup I do hope he gets a few internationals under his belt before his career draws to a close.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
As someone mentioned, there is something of a "secret weapon" factor about him that might appeal to Capello. He's a relatively unknown quantity, and even if he's not scoring (which he has been), he is ALWAYS a handful for the opposition. Some of his link-up play this season has been absolutely outstanding from what I've seen of him on the tellybox.

I think he might get a chance in one of the friendlies before Capello trims and finalises his squad, its then down to whether he takes that chance. Or if we lose a forward to injury.
I wouldn't rule him out. I'd say he's got maybe a 1 in 3 chance of going to South Africa.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
1 f***ing idiot here then.

If taking the presure of Rooney,creating and scoring goals is Heskeys roll...then Zamora does it better than Heskey currently and has done for the last 6 months.
He's been doing it better for two years. Heskey hasn't been as good since leaving Wigan, Zamora has added goals to his good play this season which is why it's gotten more notice.

I actually think he's a lot better at it than Heskey, he's quicker, got better touch and more intelligent use of the ball.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You dont know if he can handle it unless hes given a chance. Everyone misses penalties..even stuart pearce.
He never got a chance at Spurs, and the fluffed volley against Utd...crikey i take it a forward should take every chance he gets then..

But Bobby's HAD chances. In addition to those I mentioned he also had 6 appearances for the England Under-21s scoring, er, none. Defoe had 7 in 23apps, including a goal on his debut.

He has a natural level of ability that means playing for the Albion, Fulham or West Ham is easier for him than someone like Spurs or, possibly, England. Performing at that higher level then becomes a question of confidence, which historically has been patchy.

He's 29 and at the peak of his form but, I would contend, he'll be disappointed with that Cup Final, his stint at Spurs, his England U-21 performances and that match against Man Utd last week.

Agbonlahor and Carlton Cole ARE the future, not Bobby, therefore he has to maintain razor sharp form for the rest of the season and hope that these other two DON'T perform and there are one or two more injury doubts for England along the way.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So Defoe had at least 16 games in which he didn't score and is still considered.

Do you get the main point - scored on debut, scored a bit more later on, i.e. TOOK HIS CHANCE.

By your logic Bobby Charlton must be one of the shittest forwards England has ever produced because he failed to score in at least 57 matches.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Z is better than that Heskey faggot

Perseus
images

Heskey
Emile_Heskey_369245a.jpg

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But Bobby's HAD chances. In addition to those I mentioned he also had 6 appearances for the England Under-21s scoring, er, none. Defoe had 7 in 23apps, including a goal on his debut.

He has a natural level of ability that means playing for the Albion, Fulham or West Ham is easier for him than someone like Spurs or, possibly, England. Performing at that higher level then becomes a question of confidence, which historically has been patchy.

He's 29 and at the peak of his form but, I would contend, he'll be disappointed with that Cup Final, his stint at Spurs, his England U-21 performances and that match against Man Utd last week.

Agbonlahor and Carlton Cole ARE the future, not Bobby, therefore he has to maintain razor sharp form for the rest of the season and hope that these other two DON'T perform and there are one or two more injury doubts for England along the way.

Just how long ago did he play fro the u21s..christ he was probably still with us then...hes 3 times the player now than he was then. And how many starts did he get for the u21s

Stats dont always give you the truth as it were.

But to compare Zamora now to even the player he was 3 years ago is folly.

oooh Folly i like that word !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you get the main point - scored on debut, scored a bit more later on, i.e. TOOK HIS CHANCE.

By your logic Bobby Charlton must be one of the shittest forwards England has ever produced because he failed to score in at least 57 matches.

I think you missed my point: that all strikers have games in which they don't score.

Some strikers are slow to get going (Crouch at Liverpool being a good example), some don't score frequently at all, but serve another purpose (such as heskey).

To rule Bobby out because he didn't score in a mere 6 games at under 21 level is very short sighted.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
To use a few under21 appearance on the left wing eight years ago as a reason why he's not good enough for England is mad. Zamora is hardly the same player as he was for us all those years ago, he's changed his game completely over the last 4-5 years.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
At least with Heskey he appears to be able to handle the pressure of the big occasion.

I worry about Bobby's ability on the really big occasion: his shocking opening penalty in the Cup Final shoot-out with Liverpool, his inability to perform for Spurs, his fluffed volley against Man Utd last week, and the fact that it was poor confidence in the first place that led to his goal drought.

If Capello doesn't pick Bobby soon then that implies Fabio doesn't fancy him, which hardly does wonders for confidence anyway.

So goals against Liverpool, United, Shakhtar and Juventus amongst others this season don't count?

And claiming he is not good enough because of his lack of goals for the u-21's and Spurs years ago is quite ludicrous.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just how long ago did he play fro the u21s..christ he was probably still with us then...hes 3 times the player now than he was then. And how many starts did he get for the u21s

Stats dont always give you the truth as it were.

But to compare Zamora now to even the player he was 3 years ago is folly.

oooh Folly i like that word !

Where do you get "3 times from"? Be honest, you've plucked a figure from thin air.

After he left us he scored 40 in his next 200-odd games. He'll be 30 next birthday. Is he likely to continue this form for the next 5 years? Probably not. He's a contender because he happens to be in form.

In some ways it's a shame JT isn't still captain because they're the same age and used to play for the Senrab Boys Club in East London, so might have been able to bring a bit of influence to bear.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So goals against Liverpool, United, Shakhtar and Juventus amongst others this season don't count?

And claiming he is not good enough because of his lack of goals for the u-21's and Spurs years ago is quite ludicrous.
Plus of course the piss poor handling of pressure when he single handedly got West Ham promoted by scoring for fun in the Premiership play-offs - against Ipswich in both games of the semi and then the final against Preston?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I'm not saying he's not good enough, I'm saying his form warrants consideration of selection but he's failed to take opportunities throughout his career. Before this season he'd consistently failed to score against decent Premier League opposition on a weekly basis, and we're talking some spectacular misses to boot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You really do have the blinkers on regarding Heskey dont you.

Me, Fabio Capello, Martin O'Neill, and the rest of the England team seem to have these blinkers on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Zzzzz...how are some people STILL saying "i don't know if fabio will take heskey" etc.

Heskey is nailed on, definite, no questions, ON the plane to SA. It's a real shame you don't UNDERSTAND what he does for the team (despite numerous players/managers practically spelling it out in the press) but you'll just have to carry on not getting it.

Zamora is up against Crouch, not Heskey.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Seeing as Heskey is the latest bait lets look at the STATS as they never lie!

This Season:
Games: 32 - Goals: 5

Zamora this season:
Games: 39 - Goals: 16 (not sure of this includes last night)

what would be inetersting is the amount of Assists they both have (dont have those stats) as this plays a decent part into both of their games.

EDIT got Heskeys stats wrong, changed now

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here