Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha watch - *** The SEGW finally managed to escape***

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I would say it’s different, Dunk knows he was proven not guilty, Zaha is Black and proud and gets abused because of his colour not something he was accused of.

Taking the piss is part of the game, racism is not. IMO

Well, let's hope that no one ever gets you on a jury.

But, again, [MENTION=3495]SE25[/MENTION] didn't mention race in his post. He deliberately (and snidely) worded it so it included any abuse of Wilf whatsoever.

Zaha doesn't get racially abused at Brighton (bar an odd couple of brain doners who try to start a song about malaria, and they always get told to shut it). He gets abused because he's a tearful cheat (and also a Palace player who gets the rivalry).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, let's hope that no one ever gets you on a jury.

But, again, [MENTION=3495]SE25[/MENTION] didn't mention race in his post. He deliberately (and snidely) worded it so it included any abuse of Wilf whatsoever.

Zaha doesn't get racially abused at Brighton (bar an odd couple of brain doners who try to start a song about malaria, and they always get told to shut it). He gets abused because he's a tearful cheat (and also a Palace player who gets the rivalry).

Which if the last game is anything to go by is slowing turning into a begrudging respect.
Something that will never, ever, come back the other way for Dunk who is Zaha's doppelganger.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Well your wrong.You don't know how that is really affecting Dunk. If he ended up committing suicide over it (not saying he will but again you don't know how this is really affecting him) how could anything be worse., for all we know he could be in a living hell over this. That is exactly how Zaha could be feeling now, how is one worse than the other.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Really!

Are you being serious? Equating false accusations with racial abuse.

I would rather have someone out themselves as a racist **** by giving me abuse for something that is nothing to be ashamed of, than accused of the sort of crime that most people find disgusting and unforgivable. For one, I can stand up to racist comments, and call them out, responding to the slander/libel draws attention to the accusation and will give it a wider audience, some of whom will believe it, or at least have doubts about your character.

Which of the two would you rather have aimed at you?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I would rather have someone out themselves as a racist **** by giving me abuse for something that is nothing to be ashamed of, than accused of the sort of crime that most people find disgusting and unforgivable. For one, I can stand up to racist comments, and call them out, responding to the slander/libel draws attention to the accusation and will give it a wider audience, some of whom will believe it, or at least have doubts about your character.

Which of the two would you rather have aimed at you?

How can I judge? Never had either.

What I can say though is that the greater societal harm is undoubtedly done by racists than by bigots.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well your wrong.You don't know how that is really affecting Dunk. If he ended up committing suicide over it (not saying he will but again you don't know how this is really affecting him) how could anything be worse., for all we know he could be in a living hell over this. That is exactly how Zaha could be feeling now, how is one worse than the other.

Would you? Did you? Use the same balance and criticism with regard to Jay Rodriguez?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My thoughts on the abuse of Zaha and the abuse of Dunk are, if an Albion fan is caught racially abusing Zaha by the club, he would rightly suffer severe consequences including a Court visit, and, I personally have told idiots to cut out the racist abuse of him,as did others.Dunk has been unfairly abused by Palace fans for years, including online abuse, and Crystal Palace 2010 have never mentioned it. Absolutely no condemnation of their supporters from the club.

We should not be singing the Zaha party song though.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Would you? Did you? Use the same balance and criticism with regard to Jay Rodriguez?

I use the same level of thought towards Dougie on here. You don't know how he really feels when people insult him just because he is defending or promoting Palace.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I disagree. Palace taunts on Twitter include rapist and even paedophile. Completely out of order. He wasn’t charged with either of those things, which are very damaging to anyone’s reputation.

And they have rewritten history in respect of the evidence given in the court case while forgetting the subsequent guilty plea entered by a former player. Sensible people would leave it.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I disagree. Palace taunts on Twitter include rapist and even paedophile. Completely out of order. He wasn’t charged with either of those things, which are very damaging to anyone’s reputation.

I’ve never said that unfounded accusations against anyone are justifiable.

However when it comes to harm accusations against an individual and racist insults are not comparable.

You can certainly compare what it does to the individuals but racism harms not only the individual but society in general.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

However when it comes to harm accusations against an individual and racist insults are not comparable.

You can certainly compare what it does to the individuals but racism harms not only the individual but society in general.

On social media, racism can be reported quite easily, and I do. Lies and libel not so easily.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Perhaps thats the problem it all harms society in general. Why would you want to live in a society where someone you have never met can just say something that mentally harms you? If you wouldn't want to live in that society then how is it not harming society when people do it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But we've gotta admire another quality play from them up the road.

(I reckon it's a case of) make a genuine mistake regarding what was being discussed.
Chuck in another couple of grenades instead of taking ownership of the whole issue.
Scurry off.
Leave 'us' fighting among ourselves.

Text

& indeed

Book.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
But we've gotta admire another quality play from them up the road.

(I reckon it's a case of) make a genuine mistake regarding what was being discussed.
Chuck in another couple of grenades instead of taking ownership of the whole issue.
Scurry off.
Leave 'us' fighting among ourselves.

Text

& indeed

Book.
Exactly right. It's the MO for these two particular posters and the moderators fail to see it or, for whatever reason, ignore it which just empowers them even more on here.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
On social media, racism can be reported quite easily, and I do. Lies and libel not so easily.

Not sure how that addresses the point I was making regarding societal harm.

Racism has so many knock on effects to people not directly associated with an individual act.

Similar ripple effects with regards to the LGBT community were discussed here on NSC just recently - thankfully things are changing, albeit not fast enough, with regards to all sorts of prejudice.

False comparisons to general hurtful accusations can only delay that progress.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

Racism has so many knock on effects to people not directly associated with an individual act.

Similar ripple effects with regards to the LGBT community were discussed here on NSC just recently - thankfully things are changing, albeit not fast enough, with regards to all sorts of prejudice.

Not the sharpest of tools are you... and yes you do appear to be a tool

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Racism, homophobia etc are dealt with by the law, accounts are banned etc.
Other forms of abuse carry on and on without ceasing. People do commit suicide because of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here