Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yves Bissouma SINGS on a 5 (five) year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Being as some, including me, expect Bissouma to be on his way this summer it is interesting to note David Ornstein's piece in The Athletic today. He says he expects noticeable price deflation in terms of non "top tier" (he mentions Kane and Haaland) deals. Even Kane at a reported £120m is now seen as too expensive whereas last year, according to Ornstein, some of the big clubs would have been interested at a much higher price. All speculation of course but again it suggested to me that those who expect "crazy money" for Bissouma might be, well, crazy. There's not much money about.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Being as some, including me, expect Bissouma to be on his way this summer it is interesting to note David Ornstein's piece in The Athletic today. He says he expects noticeable price deflation in terms of non "top tier" (he mentions Kane and Haaland) deals. Even Kane at a reported £120m is now seen as too expensive whereas last year, according to Ornstein, some of the big clubs would have been interested at a much higher price. All speculation of course but again it suggested to me that those who expect "crazy money" for Bissouma might be, well, crazy. There's not much money about.

Could well be the case but if Tony is wanting £40-50m for Bissouma and because of this price deflation the likes of Arsenal/Leicester make £20-30m bids then it will be the Ben White treatment & those teams will be told to try again next summer.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

Haven't got around to reading that article yet, but from what he says in others about Kane it is also to do with his age and sell on value.

We could get crazy money for Biss, but then it depends on what people call crazy money. £40m for a Brighton player would have seemed crazy a few years back and would still be amazing.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I would imagine it won't be any more than £30 million and that it'll be down to Yves. If he wants to leave and it's a considerably bigger club then we'll cash in.
People assume Bloom will always play hardball, I disagree- he'll want a fair price but he is a good man and will not stand in the way of someone progressing his career (totally different to Dunk to Fulham, Stephens to Burnley and White to Leeds).

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I would imagine it won't be any more than £30 million and that it'll be down to Yves. If he wants to leave and it's a considerably bigger club then we'll cash in.
People assume Bloom will always play hardball, I disagree- he'll want a fair price but he is a good man and will not stand in the way of someone progressing his career (totally different to Dunk to Fulham, Stephens to Burnley and White to Leeds).

I would bet a lot of money that it will be more.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

There's no doubt that Tony will have a fair price in mind and wont want to stand in a players way, but I feel his fair price would be more like £40m. If we're turning down £30/35m for Ben White, and buying a Championship player (Webster) for £22m then it seems strange to sell Biss, a decent Prem starting midfielder, for £30m.

In non covid times I think we'd want £50m, but with a covid discount £40m seems fair to me. If we sold him in the £25-30m bracket to Arsenal they would see that as an absolute steal considering they've previously spent £72m on Pepe and £50m on Partey,

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There's a delicate balance between what we can get as a transfer fee for a player and what we want. If a club offers good, but not silly, money for Biss, then Tony might not want to sell. Why should he. But if that same offer also involves a huge wage hike for the player, for example going from £40k/w to £100k/w plus bonuses (invented numbers for illustration poipoises), the player then comes into the equasion.

If I'm Biss and have the chance to double or triple my wages, I'm possibly going to aggitate for a move. If he's not released we have the potential for an unsettled, unfocussed and potentially disruptive player in the squad. As I say, a fine balance where wages have a far bigger influence than we probably think.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm still hoping he'll stay another year as we establish and will then be in an even better place to maintain status quo without him. another good season and life slowly getting back to new normal and he'll be worth £50m.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Does this mean Zaha might drop below the £750bn valuation that Jordan put on him last summer?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I would bet a lot of money that it will be more.

There's no doubt that Tony will have a fair price in mind and wont want to stand in a players way, but I feel his fair price would be more like £40m. If we're turning down £30/35m for Ben White, and buying a Championship player (Webster) for £22m then it seems strange to sell Biss, a decent Prem starting midfielder, for £30m.

In non covid times I think we'd want £50m, but with a covid discount £40m seems fair to me. If we sold him in the £25-30m bracket to Arsenal they would see that as an absolute steal considering they've previously spent £72m on Pepe and £50m on Partey,

I know nothing, we are all guessing, but i just don't think you can't compare pre-covid transfer fees with those over the next few windows.
We'll see.
(Partey was actually 45, pedantic perhaps. He had been an ever present at Atletico for what 5 seasons? So it would be remarkable if Yves went for around or more than that)

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
How long is left on his contract? Has the contract been extended at anytime?
I would have thought if Biss has no intention to extend a contract it would be best to sell and cash in while he is still of value to us.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
How long is left on his contract? Has the contract been extended at anytime?
I would have thought if Biss has no intention to extend a contract it would be best to sell and cash in while he is still of value to us.

2023 isn't it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There's a delicate balance between what we can get as a transfer fee for a player and what we want. If a club offers good, but not silly, money for Biss, then Tony might not want to sell. Why should he. But if that same offer also involves a huge wage hike for the player, for example going from £40k/w to £100k/w plus bonuses (invented numbers for illustration poipoises), the player then comes into the equasion.

If I'm Biss and have the chance to double or triple my wages, I'm possibly going to aggitate for a move. If he's not released we have the potential for an unsettled, unfocussed and potentially disruptive player in the squad. As I say, a fine balance where wages have a far bigger influence than we probably think.

Agreed, but it's not just about wages/finances, it's also about playing European football and perhaps even more football (the top six play more matches because they also tend to go further in cup competitions on top of the European ones).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Agreed, but it's not just about wages/finances, it's also about playing European football and perhaps even more football (the top six play more matches because they also tend to go further in cup competitions on top of the European ones).

Spot on. And I'd also add in a certain amount of kudos. Did you hear Moder talking about Old Trafford and Man United in the video interview. He's a Polish international, but he was wowed by playing Man United - his whole family tuned in to watch, as did much of Poland by all accounts. Can't underestimate that pulling power, even now.

So it's not just the headline transfer fee and whether we'll take it or not. The player has a lot of influence in the decision and will be influenced by wages/bonus. opportunities to pay more often or at a higher level and the professional credibility of the move. Complicated and subtle stuff. Glad it's not me having to pull all these levers.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Bissouma's value is relative to how much a replacement is.

If a house was once valued at £550K and is now on sale for £450K, it's okay providing all the other houses that you want to buy have also dropped in value.

Prices across Europe are all bound to be much lower.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Forget Covid reductions, like everything in life, Biss's price will entirely come down to supply and demand. Players like Biss and Ndidi and going to be in extremely high demand this summer - most of the top clubs in Europe need players like this now and there aren't many at all around the world as good as those two at what they do.

We can have a bit of fun and throw figures around all day like we're playing Football Manager, none of us really have a clue but I will say if he went for under £40 million I would be very surprised. If I was to take a wild guess, I would say £50 million would be a more accurate figure (he's better than Partey).

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I don't doubt for a second that in normal times he'd be worth £30m+, perhaps £40m but the issue Ornstein was raising is that clubs who would usually pay those fees just don't have the money at the moment and if there's not a sufficient number of clubs able to pay these fees, the fees will drop.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Bissouma's value is relative to how much a replacement is.

If a house was once valued at £550K and is now on sale for £450K, it's okay providing all the other houses that you want to buy have also dropped in value.

Prices across Europe are all bound to be much lower.

Not sure that's what Tony has been doing here though. TB's been building houses and is planning to make a living selling them on. The first few are being completed (with Biss as the show home if you want to torture this analogy to death). So the costs such as buying the land, materials, building the properties, marketing them and so on are all sunk. So if a house would have sold for £550k, and TB had made a £200k profit, selling for £450k means his profit has halved.

I do agree his money will go futher when buying new players, but the profit from these sales is ear-marked to reduce losses as well as buy new players. Slightly unlucky timing for the Albion I think.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I know nothing, we are all guessing, but i just don't think you can't compare pre-covid transfer fees with those over the next few windows.
We'll see.
(Partey was actually 45, pedantic perhaps. He had been an ever present at Atletico for what 5 seasons? So it would be remarkable if Yves went for around or more than that)

There is literally no benefit to us selling for £30 million. It would be more in our interest to keep him for the remaining 2 years of his contract and let him walk for free, than sell for £30 million.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There is literally no benefit to us selling for £30 million. It would be more in our interest to keep him for the remaining 2 years of his contract and let him walk for free, than sell for £30 million.

Well the literal benefit is £30 million pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here